Read 2680 times

Help! Change of Status from D10 to C4??
« on: November 29, 2012, 09:40:41 am »
Hi all!

Looking for some help out here.  I left the country when my E2 visa expired and am planning to return after a 4 month sojourn in the US.  I have a camp job lined up but my new US background check is taking too long and probably won't be ready by the time of my flight back to Korea (which is about 2 weeks before the job is scheduled to start).  I'm considering applying for a D10 visa here in the US, entering korea on it so I don't have to do a visa run and can save time once the background check does come.

Anyone know if its possible to do a change of status from D10 to C4 in Korea?  And what is the time/cost/steps involved in this?

Thanks for the help.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
Re: Help! Change of Status from D10 to C4??
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 09:55:00 am »
You can call immigration from overseas +82 1345, or you could call your local embassy or consulate.

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:23:02 pm »
First, I thought the D-10 could not be applied for in home country/US.  Maybe it can, but I thought it had that 200 top tier university requirement. Still, I would say no you can not apply from back in the US. Sorry, no concrete answer.

I think I got a clue.  The D-10 applied in country and used as a bridging visa is different from a D-10 applied in home country.  To apply in home country this is what you will need.

- Basic required documents
    Passport(A photocopy of passport if applying a certificate of recognition of Visa Issuance)
    Application for Visa Issuance
    Fee (single-entry visa: $50 (USD), multiple-entry visa: $80 (USD))

- Document requirements according to the status
    Experienced worker at world best 300 corporations
    - A career certificate (employment certificate, etc.)
    - A letter that includes job seeking or training plan(It should be wrote out by month)
    ※ However, who has worked as a unprofessional worker is not applicable to issue job seeking visa.
    Who graduated from world best 200 university(graduate school)
    - One of following certificates of scholastic attainments
      ▪ A certificate of expecting graduation
      ▪ An original degree(※ Copy of degree should be brought also. )
      ▪ A certificate of degree attainment issued by the university
      ▪ A certificate of graduation which includes the degree attainment fact
    - A letter that includes job seeking or training plan(It should be wrote out by month)
      ☞ A letter regarding job seeking or training should include scheduled plans for each month during staying period in Korea(There is not a specified form.)

Even more problems come to mind.   

Since you finished and handed in your ARC, which means you canceled your E2 visa.  Getting the D-10 might mean you will need to provide all new paperwork like CRC and degree.  It might be need to now with (home country) D10 application or it might be need later when you try to transfer to a C4(in Korea).   Either way you are likely going to need new paperwork.

Add in your will be home for 4 months.   Which is 30 days past the supposed not needing to submit CRC check for future visa applications.

Plus the D-10 is normally used a bridging visa (if in Korea) for long term work visas ala E series visas.  In the past it might be E2 ---> new E2 or E2 ---> E1. With the D-10 it now becomes E2-->D10-->E2.  The complication is in the past going E2--->C4 was not done.  Some visa transfer are not allowed like student visa to work visa.  Visa trips are needed.  So a D-10 to C-4 transfer is likely not possible.  Immigration might give an exemption, if they feel like it.  Do not rely upon that happening.

I think OP you thought you had a chance to avoid some hassles.  But your idea came to late after the fact.

Since you are home for 4 months, why not just start on new paperwork.  Plus are not the requirements for C4 easier then E2.

I hope I helped and did not confuse you.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 10:15:50 am »
Some of this helped and some of it confused me :)

You CAN apply for a D10 in country - I'm in Hawaii and talked to the Korean consulate here and they said I can and I did come from one of those universities.

I know I was gone long enough to need new documents, which I have but that was the purpose of the post.  CRC is taking a long time and probably will not arrive before I arrive in Korea (flight already booked for Dec 12).  I want to avoid the visa run to Hong Kong (Japan said they no longer process without an ARC and yes mine is gone) so that was why I was considering the D10 and just change status in Korea and avoid the trip.  Job starts Dec 27th so working with short amount of time.

This D10 visa isn't used as a bridge because of the 4 months.  Its basically starting anew.  But another question comes to mind.  If I get a C4 and then want an E2 later and need another D10, is that possible if I get it to begin with?  Or is there a limit of D10s in a certain time period?

Also your reply mentioned something interesting.  What is the time period of visa switches NOT needing a new CRC?  I'm afraid if I use it to get a C4 and its taken from me, that if i decide to get an E2 in the new few months that I won't have it. 

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 12:35:22 am »
I am thinking and pondering this, more later....
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.