i plan on using these for my after school class

thankS

• krb974
  • Adventurer

• April 28, 2010, 09:04:47 am
    • Suncheon
Re: Warm ups
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 10:28:01 am »
I find 3 appropriate pictures from failblog and have the try to describe what is wrong with the pictures.  It is a great way to get the students' minds ready for English class, and it gets students to quietly study a picture once class starts.

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2011, 08:01:37 pm »
@krb974,

I love that idea.

• DMZ
  • Super Waygook

• December 16, 2010, 08:34:43 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2011, 08:42:05 pm »
This could also be used as a warm up... It's very similar to the compound words idea.

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,5722.0.html

• Maureen
  • Veteran

• October 27, 2010, 11:48:32 am
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2011, 09:41:36 pm »
For 3rd and 4th grade, I usually make flashcards and keep them around to review at the beginning of class. Also play a song at the beginning of class (something related to the lesson or a phonics song from youtube). I also use a ball for 5th and 6th grade and ask questions from the previous lessons.I throw the students the ball and ask them a question, they throw it back to me. Hope this helps.

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2011, 12:04:14 pm »
#61 on that warmup list reads:
What does each group have in common:
1. Doughnut, notebook, gold course (a hole)
2. Turtle, peanut, oyster (a shell)
3. Human, elephant, kiwi (???)

I think this could make a great powerpoint game for my after school class.

anyone want to help me make up some more questions?

here's a few i pounded out:
daily planner, calendar, birthday (year)
spaghetti, ramen, udon (noodles)
deokbokki, kimbap, shikhye (rice)
india, china, russia (asia)
rose, tulip, cherry blossom (flowers)

• CMTC
  • Veteran

• October 29, 2010, 02:41:12 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 12:07:58 pm »
Here is a TPR warm up from Genki English

http://genkienglish.net/Warmup.htm

• UK girl
  • Adventurer

• March 08, 2011, 01:50:50 pm
    • Jeonju
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2011, 09:10:21 pm »
One which is VERY popular among 3rd/4th grade is Pepero game. (November 11th [11.11] is Pepero day- the chocolate stick thingies (빼빼로) so I named this game Pepero game). I learned it when I was in school myself learning French and I think we just called it 11 or something...

As soon as the bell goes, get the students to form a circle. Choose someone to start. They can say 1, 2 or 3 consecutive numbers. The person who says '11' is out and sits down or goes back to their seat or whatever. Then the game continues until there is a winner. They win a box of Pepero. Example: Amy: '1,2,3'... John: '4,5'... Bill: '6,7,8'...Julie: '9,10!' Then the next person, Wendy, is out. Easy huh. Those who come in late can't play. Best with smaller classes as it can go on for a long time (unless you make 2 circles) and very easy to demonstrate with minimal English so they can understand within a couple of minutes. BTW, kids come in to class yelling 'TEACHER- PEPERO GAAAAAAAME!' ^^

Another very simple thing is to just write a phrase or word on the board and get them to write as many words as possible using those letters. Those who have the most, win candy or whatever. If you come in late, less chance of winning! ^^ (e.g. 'mission impossible', 'fruits and vegetables' or 'today is monday')

• tabion
  • Newgookin

• December 14, 2010, 08:23:06 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 10:27:16 am »
One I have been using lately is a "Spot the differences" warm-up.  Do a google image search for those "Spot the differences" pictures, pre-teach a little bit (ie: "______ is different. _____ is missing.") and have the kids raise their hands to speak.  Really gets their gears spinning as they grapple with the vocab and prepositions.  Helps if you have a projector and board that you can circle or mark the differences as they find them, but not necessary.

• Laura123
  • Waygookin

• September 17, 2010, 08:26:42 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2011, 09:17:00 am »
A good way to spend maybe ten minutes at the beginning or end of class is 'word within a word'

Just write a long word or two words o the board eg: friendship and give the students 3 mins to make as many small words out of the big word as they can, then the student with the most words gets a stamp. Then we go through the words!
my middle schoolers enjoy it, and it needs no preparation!

• Panacci
  • Newgookin

• February 23, 2011, 12:45:43 pm
    • Busan
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2011, 09:28:31 am »
Like a lot of people here, I use the compound word game a lot, I give each team of students a mini white board and they have to collectively write the correct compound word. Instead of powerpoint though, I use prezi and try to use silly pictures or one's of myself, here's an example of one I've made: http://prezi.com/qznkxhlpriir/compound-words-3-the-return/ some of my pictures require clues so the kids have to listen to understand
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:30:20 am by Panacci »

• logan.leduc
  • Waygookin

• March 03, 2011, 12:38:24 pm
    • Gangseong-ri, Goseong-Gun, Gangwon-do
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2011, 09:29:02 am »
I wish I would have thought of warm ups, I noticed that my students love the game at the beggining and it gets them so much more involved in class.   Great ideas!

• evy
  • Adventurer

• March 02, 2011, 12:11:11 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2011, 10:36:02 am »
Thanks for all the warm up ideas. 

I found Hot Seat, If I could go anywhere in the world and Word Chain work best for my 5-6 elementary.
Stand Up If... Telephone, and Charades are huge hits with the younger ones (3-4 elementary).

I strongly suggest doing these at least one class per week.  On top of 'warming up' before class, I find they help me get closer to the students since they are participating fully and we all have a laugh.

I've attached a doc with variations for Stand Up If... that can be used.  Many more can be thought up!

• lkar
  • Explorer

• February 22, 2011, 10:30:51 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2011, 10:57:25 am »
Great warm-ups, thanks!! 

I like to play the 'hidden word' game, as I call it.  I have a running list of compound words that I use to break up.  I usually choose around 5-6 words and find 2 pictures - one for each word.  (ex. crossroad: picture of a cross and a road).  The students have to guess the word by putting together the pictures.  I always start by saying something along the lines of "Are you genius blah blah blah"...the students get a kick out of it.  They are all eager to tell me they genius. 

I have students raise their hand to give me the correct answer but at the end of the game they are all shouting out the answers...it's a lot of fun.

If you have individual whiteboards and enough markers, break the students into groups of 4-5 for this activity. Give each team their own board and marker, and show them the two clues for about 30 seconds (more, obviously, if it's a lower-level class). Tell them to write a response as a group, then prompt them to keep it hidden until you tell them to "reveal!" Give points to the teams who get it right (you can choose whether or not to be a hardass and refuse points for incorrect spelling.) The collaborative element gives them a chance to brainstorm in English and helped me keep a bit more order with this awesome warm-up.

• hazygirl
  • Waygookin

• April 04, 2011, 01:14:22 pm
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2011, 11:06:28 am »
In my grade 5 and 6 classes we have a ball which the students pass around. The person who throws the ball has to ask a question and when you catch it you must answer the question. Normally its just 'How are you?' but it gets them talking and creates a nice atmosphere. My co-teacher makes it competitive by giving them a set amount of time and counting up how many people had the ball in that time. You can compare it to the class before or the last lesson you did with that class. :D

• koreateach
  • Explorer

• October 31, 2010, 04:51:12 pm
    • Gwangmyeong, South Korea
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2011, 12:29:35 pm »
I think I saw this one on here in another topic, but I'm not sure.  For 5th and 6th, and sometimes 4th, I write a "mystery sentence" on the board, written in a code where the "mystery letter" is really the letter before it in the alphabet.  For example b=a, c=b, etc.  J mpwf Lpsfb = I love Korea.  I give them stickers for the first person to figure it out, it usually get's them focused on me and what's on the board.

I did this the other day with my students... Instead of having them decode a phrase, I had them decode a riddle... they really got a kick out of it. The riddle I used was: 'Which city has no people in it?', the answer 'Electricity'.
What I did was, I replaced all the words with the letter that came two letters before the actual letter so that the word 'which' was 'UFGAF' and so on... I'm definitely planning on doing this again sometime with a different riddle.

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2011, 12:39:31 pm »
Some nice warm up games :)

• hj2010
  • Explorer

• June 23, 2010, 08:10:22 am
    • Busan
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2011, 01:37:43 pm »
Hi guys,

I teach elementary, so I'm not sure how these warm-ups go down in middle or high.
I find warm-ups extremely helpful and crucial to getting the students into 'English mode'.
My criteria - short, fast, little prep needed, maximum student contribution, exciting, fun, around 5 minutes, and does not necessarily need to be related to the lesson.
I always do a review after the warm-up for about 5 minutes before starting the lesson proper.

Here's my list:

1. Pass the ball - many good powerpoints can be found on this site.
2. I spy (Eye spy???) - 'I spy with my little eye, something beginning with ___'. Emphasise that it must be currently seen. Kids love the 'beginning with' part because it sounds like 'bikini'
3. Anagrams - simplified -  I usually use the name of the chapter we are studying and the students can make words using less than all of the letters
4. Scattegories - give them a letter and a couple of minutes to write down words starting with that letter. Advanced students can also get a category to use
5. 20 questions - usually more like 100, but anywho... encourage them to search for information about the thing, not just give random guesses
6. Pictionary - give one student a vocab word to draw on the board, and the other students have to guess what it is
7. The Drawing Game - two or more students go to board with pen/chalk ready. Teacher gives an object for them to draw and they have 10 seconds to draw it. The more absurd the better. Class then votes who is the winner, and that student stays on for another round. For advanced students, add adjectives (eg 'draw a pretty, fat gorilla'), or simple subject verb sentences (eg 'draw a shark eating a bus')
8. Chain game - link the last letter of a word to the first letter of the next. ie dog great tuesday. For advanced students, give them a category. For a harder game, tell them they cannot use the same link letter twice (and give them a category!)
9. A - Z Categories - students must go through the alphabet with a word related to the category you selected (ie food - a = apple, b = banana, c = cake, d = doughnuts etc). Countries is a good category for advanced students. Lower students (phonics) do not need a category
10. Ski buzz - counting game. Replace all numbers ending in three with ski, and all numbers ending in seven with buzz. For advanced students also replace multiples of three and seven with their respective monikers. (1 2 ski 4 5 6 buzz 8 9 10 11 12 ski 14 15 16 buzz for easy) (1 2 ski 4 5 ski buzz 8 ski 10 11 ski ski buzz ski 16 buzz ski 19 for advanced)
11. Rhyming game - give a word, students need to make it ryhme. May be done in teams, writing down words or spoken. This is usually quite hard for Korean students. Keep it simple.
12. Red light, Green light - for the 1st - 3rd grade learning the alphabet type phoincs kids. Teacher says 'green light' and students start writing the alphabet (teacher chooses upper or lower case). Teacher says 'red light' and students must stop writing and wait. 'Green light' off they go again. First to finish the alphabet correctly wins.

That's all I can think of for now. If anyone has any ideas on how I can 'level up' my warm-up-ness please let me know!

Cheers