Read 3350 times

EPIK Vacation question
« on: November 28, 2012, 04:14:33 pm »
Hey all.

Ok, so question: am I screwed w/r/t vacation?

Last spring, slightly before my new contract began, I was asked by my old school to teach for a week during spring. (ie forego taking my second week of paid leave for re-signing) I consented, thinking that the vacation time'd roll over to the summer.

I then transferred schools.

Over summer, I took only a week off, due to summer camp. Before summer, when discussing paid leave, I mentioned the spring break/re-signing paid leave and was dismissed. It was said that those days only applied to the previous contract. I pressed on the issue by bringing it up again. She said that she'd look into it. A few days went by and I was told that I'd only have a week off anyway during that break. I figured that those days from spring were going to be applied and my paid leave for summer would roll over into the winter. So I didn't think too much of it, to my chagrin, and got the requisite signatures for the attendance book.

Now, we're talking about winter vacation. I brought up the issue, asking to use those extra days for spring break. There was confusion with the term "spring break" and the contract (namely, the new contract says that people who re-sign only get 1 week off whereas my previous contract stated that I got 2 weeks off). Now, I learned that those days weren't applied and "expired." They were probably not labeled in the proper format. I think they were labelled something like "Summer vacation" or the like. I didn't pay too much mind when I got the signature with a co-teacher and since I didn't know that they were supposed to be labelled in a specific format. Even after I asked repeatedly about it.

So have I been screwed out of a week of paid leave? (for trying to be helpful, might I add.)

UGH.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 04:21:03 pm by alljokingaside »

• newb
  • Newgookin

• November 20, 2012, 10:38:27 am
    • South Korea
Re: EPIK Vacation question
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 05:18:46 pm »
So have I been screwed out of a week of paid leave? (for trying to be helpful, might I add.)

Sorry, but yes you have. 

Let this be a lesson to all newbies.  When these things happen, you should put everything in writing with your VP or principal.  People leave school (tranfer) with or without warning and you'd never be able to see them again.  If you have something in writing, you can always wave it at them.

HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 06:53:19 pm »
Yep, I think you lost the vacation days after you transferred schools!

About the 2 week / 1 week bonus renewal vacation thing...

People who renewed should still be getting 2 weeks this year, because the bonus vacation being honored is based on the last contract which stipulated we would get 2 weeks on renewal. Those of us who renewed are bound to this contract, and thus get 2 weeks.

On our renewal, we signed a new contract which states we would get 1 week if we renewed. So, next contract period, if we renew again we will only get 1 bonus week. But for this year, people should still be getting 2 weeks.

There should be no debate about that.

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 08:36:39 pm »
The lesson is that you need to be precise and use the correct term for things.   Winter Vacation, Summer Vacation, renewal vacation.    You need to refer to the first vacation you take after beginning your new contract as the renewal vacation bcause regular vacation can be pushed back but renewal vacation has to be used within the first 6 months of your contract.

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 09:48:25 pm »
The lesson is that you need to be precise and use the correct term for things.   

THIS^^

It's not just that 'you need it in writing'. In fact, it seems the OP did get it in writing. The problem was that you need whatever is officially recorded to be correctly described.

I feel sorry for the OP because it appears he has unwittingly screwed himself out of a week's holiday. Although it might have effectively only been 4 working days as the renewal vacation is just a block of 2 weeks including national holidays and there's a chance there would have been a holiday in there. (Not that this will make you feel a lot better, I know  ;D )

I don't think the OP's schools will have deliberately and knowingly screwed him out of a week's holiday. Quite often schools get confused about the exact ins and outs of NET vacation entitlements, particularly the renewal vacation. I do think that the people running NET programs at the various MOE offices could probably do a better job of helping eliminate this kind of mix up, though.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 09:50:31 pm by ironopolis »

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 11:46:25 pm »

Sorry, but yes you have. 

Let this be a lesson to all newbies.  When these things happen, you should put everything in writing with your VP or principal.  People leave school (tranfer) with or without warning and you'd never be able to see them again.  If you have something in writing, you can always wave it at them.

Thanks for the ...well, peace of mind, I guess. One contention- not a newbie. This is the third year. At my previous school, I've had vacation rolled over on several occasions without hassle or issue. I've also been cool with the vast majority of the faculty at that school. And, after talking with a buddy in the same town, I'm not the only one here in this quagmire.

Seriously- you're supposed to know without having been told- without any access to real info. pertaining to the matter (it's not in the contract nor have I seen anything on ESLcafe or Waygook referring to this level of specificity)- to get the wording in the attendance book to precisely refer to the type of paid leave used as opposed to a general "summer vacation" AFTER having had brought up the subject on more than one occasion?

Ugh. Thanks though for the input. =) TIME TO USE MY SICK DAYS!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:49:34 pm by alljokingaside »

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 08:56:37 am »

Also, start submitting your CV to as many universities as possible.

Good advice if the OP wants to work in a university. Plenty of people don't though.

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 09:54:25 pm »
yeah. I'm generally not one to abuse my privileges, but I think an exception here is deserved. Ugh. I just finished "editing" like 20-30 articles on top of my 23 hours/week for the school newspaper a few days ago. Gee- I'm SOOO lazy since I'm never in the teachers office where I can't get anything done 'cause I have a laptop from like a decade ago. 512 RAM!!!!!! 3-5 min start time!!!! Sorry for the vitriol. The past few days've soured the past year of what I thought were well-built relationships.

Anyhow, I was already planning on heading back to the States so it's not a big concern. But that's the thing. I'll be here a around a month after the new semester starts and won't have much to do during those 2 weeks of "spring break" so I just don't get what the big deal is, really. Like....? Plus, I remembered- If I ever wanted to, I could always come back on a F-4 visa. Thanks for the kind n' heartening words. Here's a smiley emoticon to emphasize the point. -)

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 12:40:12 pm »
Plenty, maybe, but I doubt that those plenty are even close to the majority.

Depends what you mean the majority of.

It also looks very good on one's resume.

Again, that just depends where you'll be submitting that resume. If you later want to teach other university students or do other tertiary related work, then, yes, uni experience will look better on your resume than teaching in an elementary school. But for lots of other possible future jobs, the elementary school experience would look just as good or better. If you're going to be sending the resume with an application for a non-teaching related job, then it probably wouldn't make a lot of difference.

The OP has been here for several years, so, considering they are asking about vacation, I figured that this was a nice option..... The reduced hours and long vacations are also pretty sweet.

Yeah, that's a fair point. However, I've seen some pretty terrible deals offered by some of the easier job to get type universities, which would perhaps make someone like the OP wish he'd stayed where he was.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 12:50:55 pm by ironopolis »