Read 950 times

Another CBC for transfer or renewal?
« on: November 27, 2012, 01:50:49 pm »
I have an E-2 visa and I'm wondering if I renew with my school or plan to transfer to a new one after my contract is over, can I extend my current visa without another criminal background check? If I need another one, would I apply for one here in korea (since this where I've been the last year) or do I have to reapply for one in the US?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 01:59:31 pm by hchong1 »

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
Re: Another CBC from transfer or renewal?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 01:59:32 pm »
If you renew or transfer you will not need a new CBC.  Renewing/transferring is usually a piece of cake. It should only be complicated if you are switching from public to hagwon or hagwon to public.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 02:01:47 pm by thunderlips »

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
Re: Another CBC for transfer or renewal?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 08:52:07 pm »
In general for transferring or renewing a current visa, you will likely not need a new CRC.   If it has been a while since your last CRC, it might not be up to snuff in the red tape department.  A common example is people from the US who had before submitted State CRCs, have to NOW submit a NATIONAL aka FBI check.

Now if you leave the country or let that E2 visa lapse/expire then you will need to start the paperwork all from scratch again.

You can apply for an FBI check here in Korea.  It takes a little leg work and some patience but it is doable.  Please search some more there are informative threads on what to do.

So you should be able to transfer/renew without a CRC.  I would actually recommend getting it started now.   It is nice the have for the JIC scenarios that come up.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.