Read 2986 times

It has been over a month since my contract ended. I met all the requirements and passed my apartment check where I received my security deposit back - but that's all I've gotten.
Where is the exit allowance?
Where is my severance?
Why was my last paycheck missing over 200,000won?

I didn't leave on good terms with my coteachers to say the least, but am I not ENTITLED to what they owe me??? This is a public school position I earned through EPIK and was even asked to renew my contract for another year. That contract I signed states that I will receive the above mentioned payment "within one month of completing the term of employment"...
I just want this crap to be OVER ALREADY.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 03:00:42 pm by taeyang »

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
Re: contract over - STILL getting boned by old public school
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 09:12:35 am »
have you contacted your school to ask them?
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 09:51:15 am »
First call your school. If nothing happens then call the Labor Board, I have seen contact info posted on similar threads, lastly contact EPIK coordinator.

No reason you shouldn't have received all of that by now.

Are you still in Korea? If so ask a co-teacher to help contact the school. If not the Labor Board will get things rolling.

• cdwyer
  • Veteran

• December 17, 2010, 01:39:21 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 10:57:56 am »
Relax... call your school first.  If they have no idea then tell them to look at the contract.  If that doesn't help then call your MOE or POE.  I remember when my elementary school did not give me the rest of my money I called and they said I had to pay the utility bill (my contract ended before it was sent to me) of my officetel before they could give me anything.  Maybe it's that. 

EPIK is also just a recruiting company... they will probably tell you to contact your office of education corrdinator. 

• newb
  • Newgookin

• November 20, 2012, 10:38:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 11:16:14 am »
  I remember when my elementary school did not give me the rest of my money I called and they said I had to pay the utility bill (my contract ended before it was sent to me) of my officetel before they could give me anything.

That's odd....They're holding millions of won hostage over measly few thousand won untility bill.

If you're back home, they're betting on that you can't do anything to make a claim with the labor board. 

If you're still in Korea, the best way to deal with 'em is to contact the labor board and file a complaint (since you left in a sour term).  They cough up the money yesterday as soon as the labor inspector makes a call to your school.

Oh, by the way, you are also eligible to receive interest on that money as well.
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

• JL5205
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 11:02:50 am
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 11:23:02 am »

Where is my severance?

What do you mean by exit allowance?  The flight ticket back home?  If that's what you're referring to then you won't get that unless you've already bought the ticket.  Also, in some cases they'll wait until you're actually gone to deposit the severance and flight reimbursement it into your bank acount.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 07:22:50 pm »
It has been over a month since my contract ended. I met all the requirements and passed my apartment check where I received my security deposit back - but that's all I've gotten.
Where is my severance?

I didn't leave on good terms with my coteachers to say the least, but am I not ENTITLED to what they owe me??? This is a public school position I earned through EPIK and was even asked to renew my contract for another year. That contract I signed states that I will receive the above mentioned payment "within one month of completing the term of employment"...
I just want this crap to be OVER ALREADY.

Have you considered asking your school about this?

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 09:42:15 am »
I am giving them until the end of the week then my new employer will start making the calls (to the school on friday and the labor board on Monday). I left my school tying up all the loose ends so that I wouldn't be in this situation. I paid the remaining utilities in front of the apartment owner and my co-teacher during apartment inspection, so that isn't it. And that also leaves the missing 200,000 as a mystery.

While my contract says the exit allowance should be in my account before a months over (and yes, it also says that I'm entitled to it only if I didn't ask for a letter of release) it doesn't say when I should receive severance. Anyone have experience with this? How long did it take you?

I suspect my co-teacher is behind this. She was/is the single biggest ***** I've ever had the displeasure of knowing and I really really just want her out of my damn life already. I'm being haunted by a troll.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 12:23:28 pm by anna.rpo »

• newb
  • Newgookin

• November 20, 2012, 10:38:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 09:54:24 am »
it doesn't say when I should receive severance. Anyone have experience with this? How long did it take you?

Your severance is due upon completion of your contract.  By law they have 14 days including weekend from you last day of your employment.  Therefore, they're in violation of labor code.  The labor inspector will have a field day with 'em once you file a complaint.  You are also eligible for the interest from the day 1 of violation.
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 09:55:52 am »
Why are you bringing your new employer into this situation? Seems like a bad idea, and you can handle this yourself. Why don't you go to your MOE and get it squared away? They are the one's who give your school the money to pay you.

• meesh
  • Adventurer

• March 14, 2011, 10:38:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 01:07:14 pm »
what was the date of your last day of work? paychecks are pro-rated, so if you left before roughly around the 7th of the month, you will get a smaller paycheck than normal.  maybe why you are 200,000 short. (public schools pay you around 7 working days in advance, because it's paid on the 24th of every month, but you start around the 3rd of march, for example. you still get you full paycheck for that month of march, but you didn't work a full month. maybe you stopped working 1-2 days before this day?) if i don't make sense, sorry! it makes sense in my head. also what happened to me when i quit. all that other stuff, no idea!

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
Re: my contract is over, and my old school still owes me money [MOD EDIT]
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 03:03:08 pm »
i edited the title.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• Deesh
  • Super Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 02:22:10 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do
Re: my contract is over, and my old school still owes me money [MOD EDIT]
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 03:09:04 pm »
i edited the title.

Shouldn't you have kept 'public school' in the title? Or EPIK or something. Seems quite relevant to me.

And to the OP, I hope things work out for you! I agree with Meesh - try check your pay for the first month or two of your contract; maybe you had been paid for a full month back then which you hadn't actually worked.