Read 2087 times

• peps201
  • Explorer

• October 24, 2012, 04:23:37 pm
Technical problem questions when quitting the job
« on: November 27, 2012, 06:59:30 am »
I have decided to quit my teaching position and head back home. I was wondering on some questions that I will encounter after I quit.

1) I have written the letter of resignation but I am not quite sure whom I should address the letter to. Should I address it to the school or to the principal?

2) I am leaving before the 6 months mark and I am willing to pay back the entrance allowance and the other fees. Does the school directly take it out from my next pay cheque or will I have to pay them separately?

3) I will be closing my bank account before I leave the country so how would I receive the remaining money that the school owes me (ie. my last pay)?

Thank you in advance for answering all my questions.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
Re: Technical problem questions when quitting the job
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 07:50:31 am »
agree about forwarding your money to your foreign account.

address the letter to your principal. you can probably work out an arrangement with your school for how they get paid. i imagine you'll have to pay the money separately though, since we all, should have, just gotten paid.

are you giving 60 days notice?
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• newb
  • Newgookin

• November 20, 2012, 10:38:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 08:32:34 am »
I have decided to quit my teaching position and head back home. I was wondering on some questions that I will encounter after I quit.

1) I have written the letter of resignation but I am not quite sure whom I should address the letter to. Should I address it to the school or to the principal?

You should address it to the school principal. Before submitting your resignation, you should consider whether you have a good or sour relationship with your school.  If you have a good relationship and don't think your school won't jack you up for money beyond what is owed, you should give them the letter.  Otherwise, I suggest midnight run on your next payday if you're not gonna return to Korea.

2) I am leaving before the 6 months mark and I am willing to pay back the entrance allowance and the other fees. Does the school directly take it out from my next pay cheque or will I have to pay them separately?

They could either deduct it from your next pay or they'll ask you to pay back after you're paid.  Again, it all depends on your relationship with your school.  If you relationship with the school is sour, you should consider midnight run and paying back the money after you're home. 

3) I will be closing my bank account before I leave the country so how would I receive the remaining money that the school owes me (ie. my last pay)?

As suggested by other poster, leave your bank account open and set up internet banking.  You would also want to have your national pension money deposited here and transferred to your home account.  However, if you believe that you're school will try to jack you up, midnight run is your best option.

Thank you in advance for answering all my questions.

I apologize for keep bringing up the "midnight run", but I believe that you got to prepare and do what's best for you under certain circumstances. 
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 11:51:56 am »
How do people with KB get their money to their home-country account after I've left? You can't do an online international transfer with them, right?

• peps201
  • Explorer

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 02:22:31 pm »
How do people with KB get their money to their home-country account after I've left? You can't do an online international transfer with them, right?

I heard you can do oversea remittance online but only on the Korean version of online banking so its probably pretty hard for us if we can't read korean. and yes I am also using KB bank

• peps201
  • Explorer

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 02:27:29 pm »
agree about forwarding your money to your foreign account.

address the letter to your principal. you can probably work out an arrangement with your school for how they get paid. i imagine you'll have to pay the money separately though, since we all, should have, just gotten paid.

are you giving 60 days notice?

I will most likely be leaving the country just right before pay day so I guess I'll need to figure out how to work things out with my school. I was planning to give them a 30 days notice as stated in my contract but something came up back home and I will only be able to give them a 14 day notice.

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 03:38:04 pm »
OP, you say "something came up."  If it's a serious issue (i.e. death in the family) and you  have a good relationship with your boss, telling them ASAP instead of waiting till 14 days *might* help you tie up all the loose ends (get yer money!  :P).

If possible, stay one day past six months.  I believe you'd be in the clear then for paying back the flight and anything else if you quit within the first half of your contract.

Good luck.