Read 4066 times

GEPIK screwing me over for giving notice
« on: November 26, 2012, 11:43:14 am »
I would just like to get the legal facts regarding my resignation. I gave more than 30 days' notice and am willing to pay back the airfare and settlement allowance as stipulated in the contract. However GEPIK has decided that they won't replace me and this has somehow become my problem.

I received this letter from my head co-teacher just now:

Dear Michelle
Money you pay:
1. Airfare (674,000won)
2. settlement allowance (300,000won)
3. The rent of the apartment for three months (600,000won it's half in total). If the flat office get a new renter in three months, there can be a difference.
4. the expected settlement of health insurance (100,000won)
A total: 1674,000 won

Money you are payed[sic]:
1. security deposit (900,000won)
I'm sorry, but you don't get retirement pay. It's because, you know, you're not going to finish one-year contract.
B Total: 900,000won

So, please put 774,000won into the school bank account as soon as possible. To get the rest money, if it happens, do not close your Korean bank account for 4 months at least.

Thank you for your cooperation.

The fact that GEPIK decided not to replace me is absolutely not my problem. The rental thing was thrown at me last week when I asked where I should leave my key when I go. As there is no clause in the contract that deals with finding a replacement tenant (which is only necessary because GEPIK won't give the school a new teacher) they decided that I should pay half of 3 months' rent.
Point is they won't find a replacement tenant because A) It is just easier to take the stupid waygook's money and B) The apartment is in a dodge neighborhood and not well maintained, surrounded by noraebangs without proper sound proofing and there are weekly drunken brawls on the street.

What would you do in this situation?
Ary Kim has not bothered to respond to the email I sent her last week.

They made me sign some document that said they have no legal responsibility toward me after 29 November. It think I should only pay them the 74,000won difference in order not to get screwed over. All my bills are paid up to date.

Re: GEPIK screwing me over for giving notice
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 11:49:51 am »
Ask your school directly (they're your employer) what happens if you don't give them the money.  If they threaten to withhold pay, contact the labor board.

I gotta ask, why did you sign that document?  Sounds shady.  Nobody can make you sign anything.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 02:44:52 pm by justanotherwaygook »
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• jon-anon
  • Veteran

• May 10, 2011, 04:03:23 am
    • Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 11:53:03 am »
I think Ary Kim left GEPIK.  There was a mass change (precipitated by whom is left to speculation) there recently.  The most recent email I got from GEPIK was from the Goyang District Coordinator, Ellen Mikyung Kang  (ellen79@goe.go.kr)
Might want to try her...  Oh yeah her phone # is   031.900.2858

Good luck

• taewon
  • Super Waygook

• July 04, 2012, 12:00:38 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 11:54:23 am »
Are you changing jobs or headed home? Do you want to return to Korea?
"One year they asked me to be poster boy - for birth control."
Rodney Dangerfield

• money55
  • Super Waygook

• July 05, 2011, 02:12:38 pm
    • south korea
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 11:55:18 am »
Nope you don't get severance but you do get pension.  Call the labor board or call immigration. 

The rent is not your problem-it's theirs.

• newb
  • Newgookin

• November 20, 2012, 10:38:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 12:01:03 pm »
I would just like to get the legal facts regarding my resignation. I gave more than 30 days' notice and am willing to pay back the airfare and settlement allowance as stipulated in the contract. However GEPIK has decided that they won't replace me and this has somehow become my problem.

I received this letter from my head co-teacher just now:

Dear Michelle
Money you pay:
1. Airfare (674,000won)
2. settlement allowance (300,000won)
3. The rent of the apartment for three months (600,000won it's half in total). If the flat office get a new renter in three months, there can be a difference.
4. the expected settlement of health insurance (100,000won)
A total: 1674,000 won

Money you are payed[sic]:
1. security deposit (900,000won)
I'm sorry, but you don't get retirement pay. It's because, you know, you're not going to finish one-year contract.
B Total: 900,000won

So, please put 774,000won into the school bank account as soon as possible. To get the rest money, if it happens, do not close your Korean bank account for 4 months at least.

Thank you for your cooperation.

The fact that GEPIK decided not to replace me is absolutely not my problem. The rental thing was thrown at me last week when I asked where I should leave my key when I go. As there is no clause in the contract that deals with finding a replacement tenant (which is only necessary because GEPIK won't give the school a new teacher) they decided that I should pay half of 3 months' rent.
Point is they won't find a replacement tenant because A) It is just easier to take the stupid waygook's money and B) The apartment is in a dodge neighborhood and not well maintained, surrounded by noraebangs without proper sound proofing and there are weekly drunken brawls on the street.

What would you do in this situation?
Ary Kim has not bothered to respond to the email I sent her last week.

They made me sign some document that said they have no legal responsibility toward me after 29 November. It think I should only pay them the 74,000won difference in order not to get screwed over. All my bills are paid up to date.

You don't owe anything for the rent, period.  As you said, it's their problem, not yours.  If nothing else works, the labor board is your answer.
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

• LiamO
  • Adventurer

• November 12, 2012, 07:28:30 am
    • Canada
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 02:16:40 pm »
I'm new here but I have been boning up on contracts.
The others above have already mentioned the rent and the pension.

But what is this settlement for Health care?

In any case, its great you have that email I would think that would be great to take to the labour board.

• donuts81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 20, 2010, 10:23:37 am
    • Korea
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 02:21:09 pm »
Why would your school think you are responsible for rent? Did you sign a rental agreement?
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

• LiamO
  • Adventurer

• November 12, 2012, 07:28:30 am
    • Canada
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 02:25:19 pm »

It would probably help if you could post your contract.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 02:28:26 pm by LiamO »

• newb
  • Newgookin

• November 20, 2012, 10:38:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 02:29:54 pm »
I'm new here but I have been boning up on contracts.
The others above have already mentioned the rent and the pension.

But what is this settlement for Health care?

In any case, its great you have that email I would think that would be great to take to the labour board.

Law makers are notorious for jacking-up the insurance rate w/o notifying the people first. As a result, premium has been creeping up past several years and we all end up paying the difference end of each year.
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 02:50:06 pm »
It seems that the only contentious point is the rent.  I strongly believe this is not your problem.  It would have been if you yourself were paying the rent, and the lease was in your name, but I expect this is not the case.  The school will already have received enough money from GEPIK to cover the rent (and your salary) for the entire year.

The health insurance difference is probably legitimate.  The rates change throughout the year, and your total is adjusted at the end.  You are merely bringing the adjustment date forward.  Tax is the same, but you may still be in the 2-year tax free allowance period (assuming you qualify.  I don't know your history in Korea).

Luckily, they have asked you to pay "as soon as possible".  I suggest you tell them it is not possible yet.  Doubly lucky, your deposit is about the same as the airfare and settlement that you have already mentally accepted to pay, so the extra is small (assuming the rent is ignored, as it should be).

Not sure what else to say, other than you are in the right, and it's not fair to put you under such pressure.  Call GEPIK or call the Labour Board because it smells fishy.

Oh, you could always do a midnight run...

Oh, and are you eligible for a pension refund?  It's independent of your school, so if you are eligible, call the Pension Office.

Don't get mad.  Just be clear about what you think is unfair and why, and ask them to try again.

• Nobbie Q
  • Veteran

• June 17, 2012, 05:15:58 pm
    • Seongnam, South Korea
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 10:49:16 am »
Make sure you get back the 900,000 won desposit they take from your pay for your place as well. I had deductions of 300,000 won for each month of pay, for the first 3 months at my school (althugh I suspect they didn't take enough, but that's a topic for another thread). That's something they need to give back to you.

Also, you might have paid another deposit for your home with the building manager directly when you paid your utilities. Mine was like around 200,000 won or something. You need to get that back, if you paid it. I paid mine the first month

The rent is something you should NOT pay. There's nothing in my contract about that but I started in March. Maybe they changed it for the summer contracts, I'm not sure, but I don't think they did. You should post your contract here or read it again. I'm not sure about the health insurance thingy.

Of course, if you don't plan to come back to Korea, then you don't have to pay jack, which is why some posters are asking if you plan to come back in the future or not. I know it'll affect you getting a work visa, but you might not be able to visit either. Maybe someone else can clear this up for me since I'm not sure.

Good luck!

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 05:45:01 pm »
I'm not surprised to read your story.  When I left GEPIK for EPIK, they got pretty frosty and took a very hard line with me even though I had some seniority and had done a lot for them in my city.  You have to stand up for what's right and do the best you can to negotiate and refuse to take no for an answer until the answer is absolutely no.  I don't know if that makes sense, but Koreans negotiate hard so I think you still can make things work out.  Good luck.