Read 2119 times

Anyone interested in volunteering in India?
« on: March 02, 2008, 05:08:45 pm »
I met a lady in India who runs a small school for children from poor families.  Currently she finances about 60 students but there is a need for more.  She is a Finish lady but has spent a good percentage of her life in Germany and the last 10 plus years in India.  She runs a few restaurants and shops in India and uses the profits towards running her school and helping families in need.   
There are a lot of ways people can help out.  Volunteering there,  (no contract required, for as long or as short as you want and it is a beautiful small town), sponsoring a child (12 US a month), donations etc...
If you have any questions about how you can help, you can contact Ms. Eeva Schult directly at magicinmaya@hotmail.com.  and for more info you can check out her website at www.magicinmaya.com
She is doing some wonderful things for children and their families and would surely appreciate your help

cheers   

• Arsalan
  • Site Programmer

• September 18, 2006, 02:00:00 pm
    • Alberta
    more
Re: Anyone interested in volunteering in India?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 01:35:14 am »
Wow, I took a look at her website.  I can't go back to India, because of my responsibilities to my parents/family, otherwise I would have gone in a heartbeat.  Thanks for the post, I'll try and spread the message to people that might be interested, or could sponsor.

How was your time in India anyway?  What did you do, how long where you there?
https://REDThanos.com
https://www.facebook.com/arsalan.lavang.9

"My heart bursts into starlight,
like collapsing ecstasy."

Re: Anyone interested in volunteering in India?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 11:47:04 am »
I only spent 15 days (8 India and 7 Nepal) but it was amazing.  I took a tour with a company based out of Australia- Intrepid Travel.  They travel with an emphasis on "responsible travel" and her school was one place we visited.   We did some of the usual things like the Taj and Dehli.  The highlights for me included sailing for 2 days on the Ganges River, sunset at the Taj, Orcha (a small town where the school is located) roaming the jungles of Chitwan National Park and viewing Mount Everest.  It was a great experience and I wish I had more time there. 

The school would be a nice place for somebody to go when they are finishing a contract or even on a winter vacation.  The hours would be extremely light and you can enjoy India in your free time.  It's something for people to keep in mind if they want to try something different.   It could be a possibility in my future.  For now, I sending some English text books and materials I've compiled over my 2.5 years in Korea.  I teach from a book and they are justing taking up space so it'll be nice for some to get some use out of them.