Read 18399 times

• jamasian
  • Super Waygook

• December 05, 2011, 03:02:00 pm
    • Suncheon, S. Korea
Re: Is anyone getting Christmas presents for their co-teachers?
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2012, 03:24:46 pm »
My coworkers have all been awesome and I've received throughout the year, so I'll definitely be giving a team tin of cookies for each school and then cards for the ones that have given me rides home, and then a hand lotion or such for the ones that gave me clothes and homemade soaps @.@

I know one of my P's is in love with Gangnam style gags so I may buy him some Psy socks.  That schools' VP always wants to chat somehow and use English, so I'm not sure what to get yet. My other P is impressed that I took the TOPIK and wants to hear more Korean from me lol I will write him a basic Korean greeting on a Christmas card. That VP likes to chat with me about culture so he's getting something "American". The last P and VP will get a standard card. We barely interact but I want to be nice because they whine in Korean about not being able to chat with me more.

• jaybird
  • Veteran

• April 06, 2011, 10:54:23 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2012, 06:01:41 pm »
I'm really close with my main co-teacher so I'll be getting her something nice. For my other co-teachers and office workers (9 women), I'll be getting them scarves each. A bottle of whiskey each for the principal and vp. A tin of cookies for the admin office.

• tesoljon
  • Expert Waygook

• March 13, 2012, 12:16:12 pm
    • Ansan-si
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2012, 12:07:40 pm »
I had to make a Costco trip for Christmas dinner ingredients and a couple things caught my eye, so I did give my coteachers and my department head little gifts.

Daiso had these pairs of miniature stockings for 1,000KRW each. They were connected by a cord, so I cut that in half to make individual stockings (and tied up the end so it wouldn't unravel). Then in each stocking, I put a Swiss Miss Hot Choco tube, a Starbucks coffee tube, 2 Ghiradelli squares, and a small candy cane.

For my officemates, I found a box of chocolates at Costco with molded Santas and trees on them. A Korean friend had taught me how to say 'Merry Christmas' (즐거운 성탄절 되세요!), so I wrote that on a piece of paper next to the candy box.

That one coteacher who felt obliged to give me something in return at Halloween was busy on the phone when I dropped her stocking off, so I managed to get away without getting something back.

I enjoy doing stuff like this. My mom always laments my absence at Christmas because she has to wrap her gifts herself--usually I'd do it for her. And it doesn't hurt to build up some goodwill/karma/obligation. The more people like you, the more they'll overlook your faults. Or, when you need a favor from them, they're more likely to do it if they like you.

• Hoosier_Jedi
  • Expert Waygook

• April 08, 2011, 01:56:38 pm
    • Icheon
    more
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2012, 01:23:18 pm »
He's not a co-teacher, but one of the PE teachers at my school and I both like American comic books. I gave him a trade of some Marvel stuff I didn't need anymore which he really seemed happy about.

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2013, 10:38:08 am »
What's a good gift for a principal (and VP) who don't really like drinking? I'll likely get candy or something for my coteachers and was planning to make chocolate bark for my officemates, but I'm not sure about the big cheeses.
NOTORIOUS D.G.P.

• acousticr
  • Expert Waygook

• January 24, 2013, 11:42:50 am
    • Gyeonggi
    more
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2013, 10:54:49 am »
Candy or cookies are fine for the P and VP, just make sure their packages are nicer-looking than the ones you give to your co-teachers and office mates, because the hierarchy is important. For example, put it in a gift bag and include one more kind of chocolate/hot chocolate. If you can find candy canes, maybe dress it up with candy canes and ribbon? Or wrap it in traditional paper and use twine to tie it up; twine might be easier to find, since everyone likes those strings with painted clothes clips on them for photographs and whatever.
$10 off your first order at iHerb.com with this code: BPC852

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2013, 10:59:33 am »
What's a good gift for a principal (and VP) who don't really like drinking? I'll likely get candy or something for my coteachers and was planning to make chocolate bark for my officemates, but I'm not sure about the big cheeses.

Something K-style perhaps? Box o' Spam? Box o' Fruit? Those boxes filled with a year's supply of toothpaste? Box o' Dried Anchovies?
I had a friend who was leaving for a bit of backpacking. The school knew this. The school also knew she was a vegetarian. It didn't stop them from buy her a massive box of dried anchovies a week before she left. pwahahaha. 

You could get them some moisturiser things from Olive Young or somewhere. This could work for both guys and gals as everyone loves a smooth face. Or some scarfs etc.

Or you could just get them chocolate, too... or cake.... everyone loves cake.

Incidentally, what is chocolate bark? And how do you make it?

• Freeto
  • Expert Waygook

• September 10, 2010, 01:24:42 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2013, 11:04:00 am »
Teachers here seem to love their hand cream. I've received half a dozen tubes waiting to be used.

I'll probably give small gift sets from the Body Shop to my preferred co-teachers and booze to the P and VP. Maybe Costco muffins for everyone else since they seemed to love them.
Save $5 on your first iHerb order under $40 by using coupon code VIS416, or save $10 if your first iHerb order is over $40!

Good for over 30,000 products including nutritional supplements, beauty items food and other health products. Cheap and fast shipping worldwide.

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2013, 11:23:57 am »
Incidentally, what is chocolate bark? And how do you make it?

It's pretty simple to make, really. You can do it by melting chocolate nibs in a pan, then spreading it out very thinly on a baking sheet and letting it cool. Many people sprinkle crushed candy canes or Reese's Pieces onto the chocolate while it's still hot. When it gets solid, just break it up into bits.

That's basically it. There are a lot of recipes online too.

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2013, 11:35:28 am »
At Costco they have Christmas tins, with teddy bears, with packets of Swiss Miss cocoa. I believe it's 3 tins for about 11,000 won. Just one of those tins is perfect for most Korean teachers.

BTW, don't spend too much on gifts for co-workers during this holiday. It could be very embarrassing if they don't buy you anything. Keep the spending to something cheap and a sure winner. Maybe a mug?

• popeye2u
  • Expert Waygook

• April 05, 2011, 09:45:37 am
    • S of N. Korea
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2013, 11:54:52 am »
Not once in last 4 years of Public School.
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/

• rocketeerjoe
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2012, 07:52:35 am
    • Jinhae, South Korea
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2013, 12:01:03 pm »
When I give gifts it's usually cake or blueberry Pure bars from America. A lot of my co teachers go nuts for those because they don't have anything like that here.

This year I'm going to just go for the seashell chocolates. Those should go over well and i want to give them all something nice since I'm leaving in a few months.

Is anyone else buying Korean candy or those really nicely packaged rice cake desserts for people back home? I have a friend in America who loves any Asian candy or exotic desserts and I'm also going to send him some citron tea.
"If you want to change your direction. If your time of life is at hand. Well, then don't be the rule, be the exception. A good place to start is to stand. Just put one foot in front of the other." - Rankin Bass Santa Claus

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2013, 12:37:19 pm »
last year I got my coteachers a 2013 scheduler/diary, as they were all ladies and I always saw them carrying around a diary and constantly writing down stuff.
They didn't get me anything.

This year, I am not buying any Christmas presents for them. I said I will take them for lunch.
They like food and our teachers workshop is right after lunch, so we can spend around 2 hours at a restaurant. They were excited when I told them.

I gave cards to some teachers last year too, but didn't get anything, so I am not giving any cards this year. Just to my principal and vice-principal.

• acousticr
  • Expert Waygook

• January 24, 2013, 11:42:50 am
    • Gyeonggi
    more
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2013, 12:45:15 pm »
Is anyone else buying Korean candy or those really nicely packaged rice cake desserts for people back home? I have a friend in America who loves any Asian candy or exotic desserts and I'm also going to send him some citron tea.

I like to send something Korean back with Christmas packages. Packaging the citron tea is a pain, but I send that sometimes. One year I sent an "everybody" package for the family gathering, with little trinkets and things - animal shaped pencil sharpeners, notebooks that were cute or had weird English on them, snacks, xylitol. I've never sent rice cakes because someone told me you should eat them within a day or so after they're made.
$10 off your first order at iHerb.com with this code: BPC852

• jpark97
  • Newgookin

• October 02, 2013, 03:29:30 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2013, 12:52:31 pm »
You don't have to give them present, but it's always show your gratitude to co-teachers right? ;)

• alainbut
  • Veteran

• February 27, 2013, 12:08:10 pm
    • Bundang, South Korea
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2013, 01:23:58 pm »
Hell to the no.

• lillylol
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 11:49:39 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2013, 01:31:36 pm »
Every year, I get my co teachers some Xmas looking chocolate. I also buy some candy canes of gmarket and then give it to each staff member in the school!

They never get me anything, but that's not why I'm doing it!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 01:35:24 pm by lillylol »
'What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for the world, is and remains immortal." - Albert Pine

« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2013, 01:35:34 pm »
Some small chocolates and a card.   About 3,000 won,   nothing big.

• popeye2u
  • Expert Waygook

• April 05, 2011, 09:45:37 am
    • S of N. Korea
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2013, 02:40:11 pm »
Hell to the no.
  I agree.  Christmas not really big thing here, plus some are Buddhists and a few are Jehovah's who dont accept gifts.  Personally, I avoid the confusion.
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/

• btpham13
  • Expert Waygook

• February 28, 2011, 11:02:04 am
    • Korea