Read 18403 times

Is anyone getting Christmas presents for their co-teachers?
« on: November 22, 2012, 02:45:51 pm »
I have six co-teachers and work in an office with one of them and three others. I was considering getting them something for Christmas.  I've thought about scarves for my co-teachers, and a cake or something for the office. Does anyone have any other good ideas?

Thanks in advance!

• Chicagohotdog
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 04, 2012, 12:25:31 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
    more
Re: Is anyone getting Christmas presents for their co-teachers?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 08:13:59 am »
I was just thinking about getting some cakes to bring in to my schools for the office to share.  I think scarves is a grand idea if you know there sytles well enough.

I don't think I'll be getting anyone individual presents though - I'm not THAT close with my co-teachers.  All of them are old enough to have children not much younger than me so they haven't really tried to get close or anything.
Discount of up to $10 off of first order on iHerb.com ---> CHK096

$10 off of a Tour booked through Viator.com (You get $10 off and I'll get $10 off - that could be an airport ride): https://www.viator.com/raf/PDPOTBSYI

http://travelhacking.org/sammery-wants-you

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 09:03:22 am »
In a word? No.

• dachiza727
  • Super Waygook

• June 24, 2010, 09:52:23 pm
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 09:25:10 am »
Where can I order a christmas gram?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNMtHosai08

I think it would be perfect.
"Iíll have a vanilla...one of those vanilla bullshit things. You know, whatever you want, some vanilla bullshit latte cappa thing. Whatever you got."

true dat.

• flukeriffic
  • Veteran

• March 03, 2011, 10:39:44 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 09:31:43 am »
I'm pretty close to my co-teachers, so I'll probably get them some hot chocolate tins from Costco. Wrap it up, write a little note. 

• miss_cho
  • Super Waygook

• October 10, 2011, 10:00:55 am
    • Korea
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 09:40:12 am »
I won't be getting them gifts, I didn't at my school last year and I won't at my new school. However, I'll bring in cake since it is a tradition of mine to bring in cookies for Christmas (I don't have an oven here so there's no way I'd bake dozens of cookies in a little toaster oven). I did the same last and most teachers were quite thrilled.

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 10:30:11 am »
I was going to bring in some Merry Christmas cookies for the office. As far as gifts go, wasn't really planning on it.

• acopel7
  • Veteran

• March 15, 2011, 09:22:05 pm
    • korea
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 10:46:32 am »
Food is always appreciated. Last year, I gave homemade cake pops to other teachers and they really appreciated it. They weren't used to the whole exchanging Christmas presents thing, but one of my co-teachers said it felt like Christmas to him for the first time.

This year, I might do the same thing, but I'm not sure yet.

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 11:24:33 am »
I bought hand creme last year and will most likely do some type of hand warmers this year.

• Jozigirl
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 03, 2011, 07:37:47 am
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 11:55:42 am »
I'm quite close to all three of my co-teachers so I give them gifts each year.  I also bake a variety of Christmas cookies and cupcakes for the offices.

• auster
  • Veteran

• March 01, 2011, 06:05:42 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 02:37:59 pm »
If you're female and you're co-tees are female, it's likely you've got a chance to genuinely be on close, friendly terms. I'm male and have 6 female co-tees, so not that close after two years. The gift, as others have, would possibly be misinterpreted despite me saying it's for Christmas. The politics of giving.

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 02:42:47 pm »
I would probably buy them something if I was actually expecting anything from them in return. I think it would make them feel weird, actually.

On the other hand, one of my co-teachers is leaving so I'll probably get her something.

• newb
  • Newgookin

• November 20, 2012, 10:38:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 02:49:18 pm »
A bottle of Crown Royal for my Head Master, 'cause he's the one who keeps all my co-teacher's in line. :evil:
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

• miss_cho
  • Super Waygook

• October 10, 2011, 10:00:55 am
    • Korea
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 03:13:03 pm »
If you're female and you're co-tees are female, it's likely you've got a chance to genuinely be on close, friendly terms. I'm male and have 6 female co-tees, so not that close after two years. The gift, as others have, would possibly be misinterpreted despite me saying it's for Christmas. The politics of giving.

That would be very confusing for them - a co-teacher explained to me that if you're not Christian Christmas is very much a couple's holiday here in Korea. It's celebrated the same way in Japan where couples go out on date on Christmas Eve (which is why all my students thought Christmas was on the 24th and not the 25th). Strangely enough KFC is a really popular Christmas food there.

• wrinklebump
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2012, 01:31:12 pm
    • Ulsan, Korea via Detroit, Michigan
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 06:34:50 pm »
Hell no.
Livin in a pathetic epidemic with schizophrenics buyin synthetic bodies on credit

• Jeff619
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2011, 08:12:52 am
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 09:12:51 pm »
At my public school I only had one or two co-teachers.  I bought them some lotions.  I also bought some cheap Christmas cards for all of the teachers at the school.  I think they were like 800 Won each and then a few more expensive ones for the principal, VP, and my co-teachers.  I also bought the secretary a gift because I thought she was under-appreciated by the teachers but I wanted to show her how grateful I was to her for her help.  She'd always help me prepare materials for my classes.

Anyway, the cards for all of the teachers went a very long way.  My co-teachers told me that all of the other teachers were so impressed with the cards and they talked about it for days afterward.  Also, many teachers I'd never met would later bring me rice cakes or other goodies. 

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 11:11:48 pm »
Hell no.
Ha ha!

I baked cookies for my main CoT for Chuseok. She obviously wasn't expecting me to give her anything bc as soon as I put it on her desk, thanked her for being a great co-worker, and was about to walk away she demanded that I not leave and nervously rummaged around in her closet until she finally brought out a little juice box and gave it to me as a 'present'. It was weird.

It got weirder when I learned the boss would hit on all of my CoT's and that giving a gift could be taken the wrong way, especially for the ladies I work with who have a reason to be hyper-sensitive about stuff within our work context....so I don't think I'm giving her any presents for Christmas.

Last year my other CoT gave me socks for Christmas.
Me: Uuu...why did you get me socks?
Co-T: Because Korean socks are higher quality than American socks.
Me: But, why?
Co-T: Because I thought you might like the good socks which you cannot buy in America.
Me: Is that the only reason?
Co-T: Yes... *cricket*, *cricket*....
Me: So, this has nothing to do with the fact that my socks have holes in the toes?
Co-T: uuuuumm....uu...gig gles, actually, yes, I saw your socks have the holes...
Me:  ;D
Co-T:  ;Ds back at me not sure how to interact with someone who likes to be direct
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• newb
  • Newgookin

• November 20, 2012, 10:38:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 05:14:02 am »
^^ so a bottle of cologne or deorderant would mean you stink?  ;D
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 09:13:48 am »
Ha ha! :cheesy:
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• Jeff619
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2011, 08:12:52 am
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 09:45:20 am »
Hell no.
Ha ha!

I baked cookies for my main CoT for Chuseok. She obviously wasn't expecting me to give her anything bc as soon as I put it on her desk, thanked her for being a great co-worker, and was about to walk away she demanded that I not leave and nervously rummaged around in her closet until she finally brought out a little juice box and gave it to me as a 'present'. It was weird.

It got weirder when I learned the boss would hit on all of my CoT's and that giving a gift could be taken the wrong way, especially for the ladies I work with who have a reason to be hyper-sensitive about stuff within our work context....so I don't think I'm giving her any presents for Christmas.

Last year my other CoT gave me socks for Christmas.
Me: Uuu...why did you get me socks?
Co-T: Because Korean socks are higher quality than American socks.
Me: But, why?
Co-T: Because I thought you might like the good socks which you cannot buy in America.
Me: Is that the only reason?
Co-T: Yes... *cricket*, *cricket*....
Me: So, this has nothing to do with the fact that my socks have holes in the toes?
Co-T: uuuuumm....uu...gig gles, actually, yes, I saw your socks have the holes...
Me:  ;D
Co-T:  ;Ds back at me not sure how to interact with someone who likes to be direct
Man I'd love to find these high quality Korean socks.  Every pair I've bought in Korea have lasted about a month.  I always end up buying a bunch when I go back to the US and they last for at least a couple of years.