Read 2740 times

• kgby143
  • Adventurer

• June 13, 2011, 10:42:52 am
    • Seoul Korea
Renewal Vacation question
« on: November 21, 2012, 12:54:42 pm »
I am sure many of you have postponed your renewal vacation days because we just did not have enough dates to use them all up. Well I have done the same and my co teacher wants me to take the 2 weeks vacation during December 24th to January 4th.
Now these two weeks have 2 national holidays included.
She was thinking that renewal vacation days are two weeks regardless of holidays.
I was hoping it was 10 days and I can use the 2 days on the day I don't have any classes.
It does say on my contract ' two calendar weeks'. So should I just suck it up and agree with the holiday inclusive idea? How are many of you SMOE waygooks taking your renewal vacation days? I was trying to look up other threads to see if anyone has mentioned this issue, but I cannot find it. Please help me out if you have any ideas~
Thanks a  bunch and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
Re: Renewal Vacation question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 01:11:05 pm »
Yes, it's calendar weeks. So it's not 10 days vacation to use when you want, but two full calendar weeks (even if a holiday exists). Sorry you haven't been able to use your vacation dates, and it's a shame someone is telling you when to take them. I don't suffer from such a problem! Even with winter camp (2 weeks), there's still over 1 month of vacation in the winter.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 01:13:55 pm »
"red" days are already holidays. this question is difficult to answer because the policy varies from school to school.

in my case, the holidays do not count as renewal days, or winter vacation days. but i'm taking half of my renewal (renewed in august) in february.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 01:17:18 pm »

She was thinking that renewal vacation days are two weeks regardless of holidays.

She is correct.  (sorry).

The wording in the EPIK contract was clarified for this reason.  Basically (EPIK) gets two calendar weeks (regardless of national holidays and weekends) for renewal.  The 'regular' winter vacation is 10 working days, which means weekends and national holidays are not counted.  SMOE is probably the same.

• LindseyN
  • Adventurer

• October 23, 2011, 09:42:40 am
    • Seongnam, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 01:32:52 pm »
As a GEPIK teacher who renewed my contract, I am given 2 weeks renewal leave to go home and visit my family. I am taking my vacation time December 28- January 12. My contract states that I have to take the 2 weeks (10 working days) consecutively. However, since January 1st (a Tuesday) is a national holiday, it does not count as a vacation day to be removed from the 10 days. My school is letting me use that vacation day on the 28th instead. Your contract may say something different since you are part of a different program (SMOE, right?), but the situation is similar enough that I felt like I should share my experience. I hope you get all the vacation days that are written into the contract!!

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 01:47:16 pm »
As a GEPIK teacher who renewed my contract, I am given 2 weeks renewal leave to go home and visit my family. I am taking my vacation time December 28- January 12. My contract states that I have to take the 2 weeks (10 working days) consecutively. However, since January 1st (a Tuesday) is a national holiday, it does not count as a vacation day to be removed from the 10 days. My school is letting me use that vacation day on the 28th instead. Your contract may say something different since you are part of a different program (SMOE, right?), but the situation is similar enough that I felt like I should share my experience. I hope you get all the vacation days that are written into the contract!!

Wow.  You are lucky!  The contract says renewal leave is 2 calendar weeks.  Weekends and holidays should be ignored.

For regular vacation it's 10 working days, and national holidays are not working days, so they are not counted in the 10 days.

• kgby143
  • Adventurer

• Seoul Korea
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 01:59:47 pm »
Yes, it's calendar weeks. So it's not 10 days vacation to use when you want, but two full calendar weeks (even if a holiday exists). Sorry you haven't been able to use your vacation dates, and it's a shame someone is telling you when to take them. I don't suffer from such a problem! Even with winter camp (2 weeks), there's still over 1 month of vacation in the winter.

Yes.. It sucks to know that two holidays are going to be counted towards my vacation days... You have 2 weeks in the winter? We have to do 3 weeks this winter. My co teacher that is actually coteaching the camp wanted to do the 3 weeks including holidays, but my VP wanted us to do the weeks without holidays... (He says children could get confused and I kinda agree with him..)
I know that if we did camp during those national holiday weeks. We would still have to make up the 2 days... This sucks. Oh wells!
Thanks for all the replies and info! It was helpful and I will just forget about the 2 days~ Suck it up Suck it up!  ;D

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 02:40:25 pm »
3 weeks? Ouch!~ Are you in elementary school? I've noticed they are a lot more active when it comes to camps.

In middle school, kids don't really like to do camps. 2 weeks is enough for them, haha.

• kgby143
  • Adventurer

• Seoul Korea
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 10:37:12 am »
3 weeks? Ouch!~ Are you in elementary school? I've noticed they are a lot more active when it comes to camps.

In middle school, kids don't really like to do camps. 2 weeks is enough for them, haha.

Yes Elementary~ I was at a middle school for 2 years and they still made me do 3 weeks. I think you are lucky! keke