Read 2495 times

Getting my passport and visa back w/ mail from consulate.
« on: February 11, 2011, 09:17:50 am »
So I dropped off the necessary documents at the LA Korean consulate this Tuesday. I got a position through SMOE. I gave them my NOA, copy of a contract, photo, application, and of course my passport for the e-2 visa. They said it'll be processed in a day and I can pick it up the next day. Since I couldn't take another 2-hour trip to LA to pick up the passport, I went ahead and paid for an express mail envelope so they could send it back to me.

For anyone that's done it this way, how long did it take for you to get it back.. and how long do they take before they actually put it in the mail to deliver? I contacted through phone asking when they sent it. They keep telling me different dates and times. So I'm unclear as to when I'm supposed to get my passport back and where the heck it is. I wanted to be sure so someone here could accept the mail once it arrived.

When I called this morning, they gave me the tracking number. It says there is no record of the item. It could be the crappy USPS tracking system, the fact that the consulate might've mailed the passport today (why), or I misheard the lady over the phone and am now refering to a dud tracking number.

Pardon me if it seems like I'm worrying too much. I previously lost a very important document that almost cost me this job through the wonderful service that is USPS, but that was a priority mail issue.

Re: Getting my passport and visa back w/ mail from consulate.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 09:28:49 am »
The 2 hour trip was probably worth it. Cross your fingers. I lived around the corner so it was easy for me just pick it up the next day. I wouldn't trust my passport in the mail, but they are pretty good about getting things done over there so just wait a few days.

• thekhuuman
  • Explorer

• February 11, 2011, 09:28:48 am
    • San Diego, CA
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 09:33:31 am »
I actually did the visa process at the LA Korean Consulate too. They took like a week to actually send me back my passport (drop it off with USPS). I had dropped it off on a Monday in person and I called every couple days to check the status, but they didn't drop it off with USPS until Friday. It seems like they have a main person that deals with the Visa applications in that branch so she will likely know exactly where your application is if you had talked to her. I think her name is Michelle or something

• sbbaas
  • Adventurer

• April 01, 2010, 06:02:18 pm
    • SK
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 10:02:36 am »
I lived two hours away from LA and did the same thing. I think it took two days? I went early in the morning and had the option to come back at the end of the day to get it (so they should have had yours ready Tuesday). I opted to have it mailed since I had to return to work that day. It was delivered to the wrong address two days later. Someone else had signed for and accepted it. So my passport was missing and in the posession of someone else for a few days. It took a lot of long calls for USPS to find my passport and get it back from wherever it was.

Contact USPS and try to sort out the tracking number. Whether they sent it on Tuesday or today, the tracking number is the most important information you need. Hopefully someone can be at your house when it's expected to be delivered. Good luck!!  :)

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 10:12:19 am »
Thanks guys for your super timely responses.  ;D I feel slightly more comfortable now. For real though, it was hard for me to have to resort to using the mailing service to get my passport back. I don't trust the USPS since they once lost a copy of my CRC. I wish I could drive to LA whenever I want...

That might be the case for me too, thekhuuman. Did they use express mail to send it back to you?

sbbaas - O M G that sucks. Was it express mail? I called today and they gave me a tracking number. It keeps saying "there is no record of this item" or something of that nature (I refuse to check it until tomorrow morning). I know USPS sucks generally but meh.

I got a little frustrated, since in the morning they said they mailed my passport yesterday afternoon, at 4pm (cut off time). This afternoon when I wanted to confirm that I had the right tracking number said that he just mailed everything today at 1pm. So urrrgh, lol.

• sbbaas
  • Adventurer

• April 01, 2010, 06:02:18 pm
    • SK
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 10:25:11 am »
Yea it was express mail. I was surprised that I hadn't received it so I went online to check the tracking number and I saw the copy of "my" signature that someone else had signed. It was terrible. I still don't know what happened or how the mail carrier remembered where it was and got it back. It was all super strange!

Hopefully your tracking number will appear/sort out soon since they just mailed it today. So much for "express"    ;D

• thekhuuman
  • Explorer

• February 11, 2011, 09:28:48 am
    • San Diego, CA
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 11:13:34 am »
Hey kniveschau, I did buy one of the express mail envelopes they had at the Consulate. I just checked in a couple more times with the Consulate throughout the week but they did not mail it till Friday for me.