Read 2171 times

Toilet Culture...No, really!
« on: November 13, 2012, 10:41:15 am »
I tried not to giggle, I failed. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20258175

Also, this was on NPR this morning.  I'm curious as to what some of you may think of this story.  Having been here for two years I disagree a bit with the contention that Asian students are "encouraged to struggle" with problems and that their doing so is indicative of their growth as students.  Also, one of the comments made a very good point, and I am inclined to agree with their point that this story should probably be comparing the US to the East, and not the West as a whole.  Indeed, many Western countries far outshine the US education system.  Nevertheless, it was an interesting story. 

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/11/12/164793058/struggle-for-smarts-how-eastern-and-western-cultures-tackle-learning

Re: Toilet Culture...No, really!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 11:13:42 am »
love it.  I am going to have my middle school students guess why they were on the bbc and then play the clip today!

• stronzata
  • Veteran

• September 04, 2012, 07:14:29 pm
    • korea
    more
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 12:58:39 pm »
Duchamp is rolling in his grave. He created a piece of anti-art called fountain. It's basically an upside-down urinal. But as the koreans would say, it is very "famous" and now the backwards nutters have dedicated a museum to toilets. I guess everything comes full circle or maybe these folks are just that out of touch with the rest of the world. Congrats Korea on your museum dedicated to toilets. What will you bring us next?? I guess this isnt that much worse than Canada's shoe museum  :rolleyes:
The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 01:06:52 pm »
i'll have to visit in the summer!
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• papayapie
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2012, 10:30:06 am
    more
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 01:17:25 pm »
My co-teachers pick on the struggling students to get a laugh. Seriously. They'll call on them because they know they don't know the answer to embarrass them. Once they say the wrong answer, everyone laughs at them, and then they're told to sit down. No help, no correction, no positive reinforcement. Just being made fun of. Or they completely ignore the struggling students....yeah, that'll help them succeed!

• stronzata
  • Veteran

• September 04, 2012, 07:14:29 pm
    • korea
    more
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 01:21:02 pm »
My co-teachers pick on the struggling students to get a laugh. Seriously. They'll call on them because they know they don't know the answer to embarrass them. Once they say the wrong answer, everyone laughs at them, and then they're told to sit down. No help, no correction, no positive reinforcement. Just being made fun of. Or they completely ignore the struggling students....yeah, that'll help them succeed!

Yup sound like a toilet culture to me  8)
The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 01:26:54 pm »
I didn't crack a smile or laugh until the end of the video with the Korean woman patting the statue right on his 똥꼬...

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 01:30:18 pm »
Can we split the two links into two threads? I'm more interested in the second one than the first one.

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 02:43:43 pm »
Can we split the two links into two threads? I'm more interested in the second one than the first one.

Sorry Hilarity.  I didn't want to go on a thread starting onslaught, but you're correct, it certainly makes more sense to have two separate discussions. 

• amgoalng
  • Expert Waygook

• August 31, 2012, 08:00:20 am
    • Gobuk, near Seosan, closer to Haemi
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 03:21:05 pm »
I think they can be one thread.  For instance, "They've taught them that suffering can be a good thing," Stigler says. "I mean it sounds bad, but I think that's what they've taught them."

Yep, after a night of eating good Korean BBQ it taught me to pace myself.  Also, I was really happy to have a toilet that could handle what I gave it.  The East has taught me that struggling in food consumption, either knowing what to eat or how much to eat, can be a good thing for me, and my toilet. 

• septeacher
  • Veteran

• September 11, 2012, 08:17:52 am
    • Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 10:11:48 am »
Struggling identified as helpful for the students?

That is why you can't get a peep out of them because they fear embarrassing themselves in front of their peers.

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 02:57:54 pm »
My co-teachers are always asking me to recommend web sites and podcasts to assist them with their "skills".  They never follow-up on anything I give them.  But still.  I showed one of my co-teachers this NPR story and she told me that she agreed with the story.  I pressed on.  "How so?"  I asked.  Basically she told me that she agreed that Eastern education is far better than anything done in the West.  Especially because "Koreans value education more than Westerners."  I didn't say what I was thinking which was, "Not exactly.  Perhaps the West views what constitutes educational value a bit differently?  Valuing test scores and status are not quite the same thing as acquiring an appreciation for education or being educated." I said nothing and simply nodded.  "Interesting.  What were your thoughts about the comment that some Eastern students are robotic and lacking for opportunities to creatively express themselves?"  In her view, this didn't seem nearly so important.  Different strokes for different folks. 

I don't believe in magic bullets or secret formulas for education.  Culture comes into play, as do priorities.  Still, I wish it were possible to engage in discussions about this issue with more of our Korean co-teachers.  It may not change much, but would still be interesting to see what, if anything, is learned.