Read 2025 times

• ladysearah
  • Adventurer

• September 02, 2012, 01:33:21 am
    • Tongjin-eup, Masong-ri, Gimpo-si
When to book flights for winter vacation (help?)
« on: November 12, 2012, 06:52:22 am »
Hello everyone,

Just hoping someone will have some sort of insight to share with us.

Husband and I are headed back to Canada over our winter break, as he needs to defend his thesis (kind of an important trip).

We've begun looking at flights, and we know the dates we want/need, Jan. 12th-26th. I told my co-teacher the dates, but she said that the dates won't be submitted for approval until a month before.

So what I'm wondering is, should we just go ahead and book the flights even though the vacation time isn't official yet? Tickets only get more expensive, and we want to make sure we get the times we want (to maximize our time spent at home).

Has anyone ever had any experience with this? Maybe not with a flight home, but with vacation flights in general?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom, oh Waygook!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:48:39 am by ladysearah »

Re: Visiting Home
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 09:49:50 am »
I would go ahead and book, but make sure it's with an airline that easily allows changes and cancellations. It's best to go on the airline's website to book the ticket as often you'll be allowed to make changes to your itinerary there.

When I went home last summer I booked with Air Canada. I know that they have a cancellation and change policy that allows you to change or cancel your flight up to (I believe) 24 hours before your scheduled departure. However, I would definitely make sure to read their cancellation and change policy very carefully before you book.

With this, make sure you go to the actual airline's website to book rather than going through something like Kayak.com or Expedia.

Hope that helps!

• KevinA
  • Adventurer

• November 17, 2009, 07:07:09 am
    • Seoul, Korea
Re: When to book flights for winter vacation (help?)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 11:13:28 am »
When I've had important trips come up, I've usually had it work out months in advance. This winter will be the second time in 4 years that I'll see my parents. When I first asked colleagues and the vice-principal about vacation approval, they told me they wouldn't sign anything for January vacation until December. I asked frequently (once every 2 - 4 days since September) until the principal wrote a simple letter that said I will be able to travel at those specific dates but they will still wait on officially signing the books until December. With her written approval for the specific dates I went ahead and booked my tickets.

In the past, when the higher-ups have hesitated to approve vacation several months in advance, I usually play the family card since family is a really big deal here and it usually gets them more lenient. Sounds like the thesis defense is also really big, but it might be understood a bit differently than visiting parents.

• ladysearah
  • Adventurer

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 04:56:27 pm »
Thanks so much guys! I'm thrilled that the two replies I received were both exceedingly helpful in different respects  :smiley:

We're not sure what we're going to do yet, but after looking at the Air Canada website, I think we'll definitely book through them for our tickets, just in case - good call, releitse88.

And KevinA - I like the written approval thing. Let the co-teacher bugging commence!

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

• October 09, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
    more
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 05:52:03 pm »
I'd opt for doing kayak/expedia.com and purchasing travel insurance ($150-190, possibly per person) over buying directly from airlines, especially Air Canada.

I'm flying home to Canada this winter as well and I managed to find an $800 flight from Seoul -> Beijing -> Toronto. The total round-trip cost, with flight insurance, is $1706.

Based on your dates and two adults, with the (possibly mistaken) assumption that you're flying to Toronto, you're looking at

Total charge for 2 adults   
Base Fare    3205.90
Taxes, fees, charges and surcharges    931.16
Grand Total - Canadian dollars   
$4137.06

(from their website)

Save the $600-700 :)
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

• ladysearah
  • Adventurer

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 08:38:50 pm »
Wow, that's a great price for a flight! Unfortunately, we have to go one leg further - we're headed all the way to Halifax...  :cry: ;D

We're not booking immediately, so we will continue to shop around for prices - but Husband's university is reimbursing us for his flight costs, so we're only really paying for one flight.

We just need to make sure we can book the same flights, for the same winter vacation dates.

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 11:20:29 am »
Wow, that's a great price for a flight! Unfortunately, we have to go one leg further - we're headed all the way to Halifax...  :cry: ;D

We're not booking immediately, so we will continue to shop around for prices - but Husband's university is reimbursing us for his flight costs, so we're only really paying for one flight.

We just need to make sure we can book the same flights, for the same winter vacation dates.

SMU? Dal? MSVU? Acadia?  Either way, it's pretty cool of them to cover a ticket.

Westjet flies into YHZ and they may be a little cheaper than AC. 
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

• ladysearah
  • Adventurer

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 09:31:08 pm »
SMU  :smiley: Their PhD program is still relatively new, so we're getting some perks!

Can you book a flight from Korea to Halifax through Westjet? I feel like Westjet only flies in North America and the Caribbean... Hmm. I'll check it out, though!

Whatever the flights, I'm going to try to avoid going through the US... no offence, Migookians, but customs in your country is scary.

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

• October 09, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
    more
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 09:36:25 pm »
Some discount search engines allow you to specify a lot, such as desired layovers and airlines.

Best case scenario, they'll put you on a connecting flight from Vancouver (or San Fran/LA)/Toronto (or Chicago) to Halifax via WestJet.

Worst case scenario, you could use a discount service + insurance to get yourselves to a city that WestJet flies to and book a flight to Winnipeg with them specifically.

I am staunchly against the crazy prices of Air Canada and wish you the best, whichever advice you follow :P
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.