Read 6240 times

• aymie83
  • Newgookin

• September 04, 2012, 09:45:11 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
Direction Words and Where's Waldo
« on: November 08, 2012, 02:36:07 pm »
Here is an idea I used with my low level 2nd grade middle schoolers, and it worked well for for them (they are really low), but I think it is just as appropriate, if not more so, for elementary school students:

First I reviewed location words (next to, near, between, in front of, behind, left, right, etc.) and we practiced using them.

Next, I put the students in groups and asked "Where's Waldo?" Each group got a picture of varying degrees of difficulty. They had to find him and write sentences using the direction words.

Then, I put the pictures up on the ppt and each group had to tell the rest of the class how to find Waldo. A little to my surprise, not only did virtually every student get involved in finding Waldo, but even my quiet/shy ones were willing to read the sentences (I guess because the focus was more on the pictures than on them).

Re: Direction Words and Where's Waldo
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 08:32:39 am »
This is a great idea! Ill be using this next week. Nice job.

• MoneyMike
  • Super Waygook

• November 22, 2009, 03:45:15 pm
    • Gwangju, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 12:15:46 pm »
Question for ya!

Did you just print out the Where's Waldo pages on a black and white printer?

• aymie83
  • Newgookin

• September 04, 2012, 09:45:11 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 12:20:37 pm »
No, luckily my office has a color printer. I printed them out but found out fast that students circle Waldo in bright colors and draw arrows to him, etc. So I printed out another set and laminated them.

• MoneyMike
  • Super Waygook

• November 22, 2009, 03:45:15 pm
    • Gwangju, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 02:36:37 pm »
Ahh gotcha, thanks for the quick response! I changed the ppt a little bit to get in some practice before we start the waldo activity, I'll include it here.

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 09:59:33 am »
Moneymike, can you upload your worksheet?

• hwacks
  • Adventurer

• March 11, 2012, 07:27:51 pm
    • Bukpyeong
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 02:20:46 pm »
I'll have to get some page protectors and try this out (the laminating machine is not often used, so I'm hesitant to try). My after school girls are very hard to reign in, but I think this will really get them focused.

• ihateroses
  • Adventurer

• July 21, 2011, 11:29:06 am
    • United States
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 12:29:01 am »
Thanks for this!!

For those who are worried about lamination: Just put the paper inside a clear sheet protector instead.

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 11:56:37 am »
Thanks for this!!

For those who are worried about lamination: Just put the paper inside a clear sheet protector instead.

Might be a better idea actually, as common sense as it may be to us, they students circle waldo and wizard on my laminated copies. Stressing to the class not to write on the laminated copies only works half the time -_-'' with a clear sheet protector, at least you can flip it or rotate the picture in the clear sheet protector if they do write on it and not have waldo circled.

Here is my simplifie presentation I use, which is slides turned into a video, as I used keynotes. You can download quicktime on your windows PC and run this and use the forward and back keys just like in powerpoint.

I've included my worksheet which is a simplified version of what I write on the board and give examples to. 

I have two pictures printed out from my ipad waldo game which are in high resolution so the picture of waldo is crisp and clear. I don't feel comfortable posting the pictures, so if you want me to send you what I have, I ask that I send them to you through online storage. I spent a hand ful of my free periods to put the pictures together and definitely could see how the company didn't want people to copy the pictures. But for educational use... I'd like to securely share them.

I also let the students play a "bonus game" on the ipad as there is a VS mode, while the class watches on the large screen tv that is displaying the ipad screen via an apple VGA cable to the ipad. They go nuts for this and sentence creation suddenly becomes a race to make the correct sentence first. I'll show a shot of the VS mode, in case you have an ipad and are considering buying the app.
Hans Gruber. Prince Humperdink. Mantis Tobogin.