Read 6293 times

• Ebbe
  • Waygookin

• October 27, 2011, 02:19:02 am
    • Atlanta
Epik Interview Results = 2 weeks?
« on: November 07, 2012, 11:31:18 pm »

So I had my EPIK interview on Oct. 26 10:00 am KST, and was told after the interview that it would take 2-3 business days to get the results. It is November 7th and I have yet to hear a thing from EPIK. I contacted my recruiter after she came back on the 5th [Korvia] and she said she has no results either from them and that she would contact them to check on it.

I got the idea that I did quite well, now the seeds of doubt are sprouting and I'm thinking that I have perhaps failed. So while other candidates are getting their results and sending in documents and taking postions, I am waiting to see if I can even get the greenlight? I'm just so worried that if it is a yes, everyone else would have gotten the positions I wanted and I'll get stuck in Daegu, no offense, just not my first, second, or ever choice. Has anyone else heard of such a long time needed for results?

• eveliens
  • Super Waygook

• November 05, 2010, 08:49:25 am
    • Seoul, Korea
Re: Epik Interview Results = 2 weeks?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 06:52:12 am »
Oh boy, if you're concerned about being stuck in Daegu, perhaps EPIK wasn't the way to go  :azn: I was placed 5 hours from any major city in Gangwon-do; EPIK likes the countryside.

Anyway, I'm going to say when I went through the application process they were never on time. It'll probably come in a day or two, which will be the end of the week here. If you thought you did well, you probably did. Don't worry too much.

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 07:29:21 am »
My result was about a week and I didn't get confirmation that I got Busan until later. If I recall correctly you won't get placed until they get all your documents to EPIK and they contact the MOE/POE. I don't get why people apply to EPIK through a recruiter, its just slows down the process. Your docs don't go straight to EPIK but through your recruiter which takes longer and reduces your chance of getting your 1st choice.

What was your 1st choice BTW? As for Daegu, I doubt it will be the spot thats last to fill anyway since its probably 4/5 choice for people after Seoul, Busan, Incheon/Jeju. If you are late, you'll probably be more likely to end up with a random POE and rural placement.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 07:44:06 am »
I had mine on November 5th and I am waiting the results. They also said two to three days, so that means, if they are on time, I will know today, but assuming from what you said, it will take rather longer.

• moe83ccc
  • Veteran

• February 25, 2012, 05:53:17 pm
    • Daegu
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 07:49:02 am »
Daegu is awesome. Why the hate?
The Dude Abides

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 08:11:52 am »
Daegu would certainly not be a bad place to live. Far worse places out here depending on what you want in a location.

I was offered the job during my interview, but I came in to replace an early leaving teacher.
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

• Ebbe
  • Waygookin

• Atlanta
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 11:27:01 am »

Thanks everyone for the replies. Trying to be calm about this, it sucks. I have done everything early and on time [documents ready] and this would be what holds me up, not even the FBI background check and apostilled crap.

As for 1st choice, Seoul. I know it is a pipe dream. Then Incheon and then anywhere in Gyeonggi-do. Should have done GEPIK then I suppose. But at the end of the day I do just want to teach in Korea. It's just that my friends who live in Korea, my safety net, are located there in case anything ever went wrong/homesick or I needed there fluent Korean...

The worse is just not knowing and seeing people on Dave's who already know and are sending in their documents before me even though interviewed like a few days before me and got results in the 2-3 buisness day window.

Also, I always thought recruiters were like the prefered way to go if you weren't going to do something outside of public schools.

• papayapie
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2012, 10:30:06 am
    more
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 11:36:42 am »
Anywhere in Gyeonggi-do...? Ha...haha..ha....I live in Gyeonggi-do. I WISH I were in Daegu.

Look on the bright side. If you don't get picked, you won't have to experience the misery that is Korea :)

Start applying to hagwons if you're really worried you're going to be rejected.

• Oliv369
  • Adventurer

• August 29, 2012, 09:31:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 12:48:24 pm »
Wow, 2-3 business days? When I was applying they told me it could be 1-2 weeks. I was told not to expect any results before at least a week, although things could have changed since the last hiring session. Good luck with whatever happens. Also in my experience and in my friends' experiences, not being placed in Seoul, Busan, or Incheon is not a detriment to having a good, successful time here. There are always new things to do and people to meet. Honestly the biggest gamble in my opinion isn't so much your city's location, but the school you get placed in within that city. That is the biggest determinant of how your experience will be here, work-wise anyway.

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 03:16:53 pm »
I got my interview results the same day.

It must be how they bracket some people. I'm sure they have a grouping system.

Anyways. Um bro, you're not gonna any public school in Gyeonggi through EPIK. That's completely GEPIK's territory.

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 03:19:02 pm »
I know it is difficult to wait, just remember the squeaky wheel gets greased. Keep asking questions, badger them a bit in a friendly and professional way of course. Understand you are one of many. Get your resume on top of the pile.

Also, Daegu would be great, and you will still see your friends, Korea aint that big. And you will make new friends. Honest, don't worry about that.

I dont know what you said during your interview, but I hope you didnt let on that you are somewhat location specific, that is a huge red flag to them. Maybe its taking so long because they are making sure they can find something for you in Seoul.

Best of luck to you.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 09:17:49 pm »
I wish you luck, but I just got my results today and I failed. Not sure why, but I hope you can do better and I hope you can get in Incheon. Seoul really is a pipe dream since they keep reducing NETs there.

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 11:46:52 pm »
Incheon is tough to get, but somehow I got in last year after getting my documents in super late with only about 22 positions for the city. Anything can happen.

Also Incheon has a few islands out in the sea that they place a few people in so think about that lol.

• Ebbe
  • Waygookin

• Atlanta
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 03:14:13 am »
Hey everyone! Results are in and I failed. My recruiter is trying to see if I want to continue with the GEPIK application. Which will be even more competitive since the school makes the decision. At a total loss but I think I will try. Any advice?

• trisha.sue
  • Waygookin

• May 09, 2012, 09:28:07 am
    • Wonju, South Korea
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 07:25:56 am »
My school (a private middle school in Wonju) is looking for a teacher for March.  We have 7 weeks of vacation and teach small class sizes.  Kind of in between a hagwon and a public school.  It's by far not a perfect place to work, but I would say better than most academies for a first year if you can't get in to a public school.  Send me a message if you're interested or would like more information!

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 02:10:21 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 08:43:20 am »
Hey everyone! Results are in and I failed. My recruiter is trying to see if I want to continue with the GEPIK application. Which will be even more competitive since the school makes the decision. At a total loss but I think I will try. Any advice?

Go with the GEPIK application. Don't worry about it being "competitive" as a whole it's not.
With EPIK, say there are 1000 applicants for 500 positions. That means you need to be better than 500 other applicants. With most GEPIK positions (especially the ones Korvia deals with) your application is sent to a specific school. They might get 5 or 10 applications, meaning you only need to beat 4-9 applicants rather than 500. Additionally, your application will be sent to multiple schools.

Hot Tip: Be VERY open on location and age-group. A lot of schools like to interview in-person, if you are out of country, you are at an inherent disadvantage. The more popular cities have a lot of applicants, and teachers specifically request them. If you're willing to take anything, you may very well be the only applicant or against just 1 or 2 others.

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 03:08:34 pm »
That means you need to be better than 500 other applicants.

By better you mean,

Whiter
Younger
a Male
more Naive
and Newer

Be VERY open on location and age-group.

Truth. Basically take what you can get or be okay with not going until another year.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 05:05:16 pm by Wintermute »