Read 1479 times

• joseph921
  • Super Waygook

• September 15, 2010, 09:00:43 am
I just need to get something off my chest.
I've never watched a korean tv show series (complete) in my whole life until I saw this show.  I don't have cable so I was watching it off the net.   

Did anyone else think how ridiculously EASY it was to know who the winner was going to be from EPISODE 1?  The moment I saw my first episode, within a minute, I ALREADY KNEW that Sora Chae was going to win.  How?  Either I have special powers, or I knew that in this society, appearances is what matters most and Sora had it above anyone else.

She was the tallest, prettiest, and had the nicest face (smile, etc....many even compared her to the glorified Yuna Kim).  Now, I'm not saying that she didn't deserve to win.  She definitely did.  She was the most "ready to go" model whereas the others needed a lot more training, seasoning, and experience.   But what bugs me is just how easy it was to know who the winner was going to be.   But still I wanted to watch the rest of it because it was really an interesting show getting to see the behind the scenes and seeing each person develop and mature.

But right from episode 1, sora had all the attention.  Everyone was talking about her, either complaints or compliments, she was always the centre of attention.

Even in the final episode, they played her down a lot, and focused 75% of the show on JinKyoung and Yeo Yun (most interviews and camera time).  They did this to play down Sora and make it look like the other 2 were serious challengers and favoured to win it.  But that only made it MORE obvious to me that Sora was going to win.   

In fact, I'll even go so far as to suggest that she was pre-scripted to win.  They started her off as the "villain". She was loud-mouthed, self-centered and self-absorbed.  Everyone talked behind her back.  Then near the end of the series, she went from "heel" to "face" as she became quieter, and the others were turned "heel" as they did all the talking now, and made the audience start to really like her now.  Even in the final announcement, she didn't look all that surprised when she won.  JinKyoung looked so emotional but Sora looked like, "Yeah, I knew I was going to win too, haha".   

Anyways, great show, but way too predictable, esp. being a korean show, you knew the only thing that really mattered was "looks" and sora had it.  That's why she won.

Feel free to share your thoughts about that show.  Did you know too that Sora was the easy winner?  Or were you actually shocked she won it all?

• wrinklebump
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2012, 01:31:12 pm
    • Ulsan, Korea via Detroit, Michigan
dude.
Livin in a pathetic epidemic with schizophrenics buyin synthetic bodies on credit

• joseph921
  • Super Waygook

• September 15, 2010, 09:00:43 am
It was rigged or the easiest prediction anyone could make.
There, happy? Satisfied? ;P

To be honest? All Korean reality shows that are satellites of a franchise are awful. Top Model? Project Runway? Etc? A major thing playing against them for us as a foreign audience is that Koreans tend to skew towards whatever's trendy. So when I'm watching Korean Proj Run and everyone is making the same G8888mn thing, it's boring as all h888. The contestants are too busy saving face and working within whatever is popular and there is little to no variation. I guess what I'm getting at is that Korea extensions of international brands are still victims of Korean social ideals.Surprised? No. Disappointed? Yes.