Read 1386 times

• Canonite
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2011, 11:50:19 pm
    • ROK
    more
Hot on the heels of the Samsung scandal comes this...Hyundai/Kia lied to customers about the fuel efficiency of their cars, and now have to reimburse nearly 200,000 buyers.

With these companies (Samsung, Hyundai/Kia - which is one company, for all intents and purposes - being as massive as they are, this can't be good for Korea in general). If international business for these companies drops, the whole country will feel it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2012/11/02/kia-hyundai-gas.html
*click*

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
Re: Hyundai/Kia lie to Canadian buyers, have to reimburse 172,000 customers
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 07:57:01 am »
I think most manufacturers overstate the fuel economy but they put a sticker on the car as far as I can make out, I think that was the big mistake.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Re: Hyundai/Kia lie to Canadian buyers, have to reimburse 172,000 customers
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 08:31:28 am »
I think most manufacturers overstate the fuel economy

Indeed, and in the whole scheme of things in the worldwide motor industry, this is pretty minor. Many other major car makers have had much bigger deals than this to handle the fallout from.

And the thread title here is slightly at odds with the story in the link. Thread title suggests they've been forced (as in by a court order or similar) to reimburse. Whereas the cbc report suggests that Hyundai/Kia have admitted their mistake and promised to rectify/reimburse of their own accord. Of course, I'm sure, like any major company, it's not something they're doing out of the kindness of their heart. But the way they've dealt with it seems to have worked reasonably well. I haven't bothered to read all the 250+ comments below the story, but quite a lot of them are surprisingly positive about the companies' response and compare them favourably with other manufacturers.