Read 2602 times

• papayapie
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2012, 10:30:06 am
    more
getting assigned the worst/hardest sections of the book?
« on: November 01, 2012, 08:59:43 am »
My main co-teacher absolutely loves to give me the worst/hardest sections of the book. She does it on purpose every lesson. How do I know? Because when she gives me my schedule for the month, it looks so stupid. She covers pages 160-161 while I get random assignments like 163 and 175. They don't go together at all and they're always either the worst section (totally dry and would take the students 2 seconds to finish, meaning I gotta come up with a bunch of extra stuff) or the hardest section (students won't understand me because their English is to low so I have to struggle to explain it to them for 30 minutes and be frustrated when they still don't get it).

None of my other co-teachers do this. We take whatever section we end up with, which sometimes changes because of canceled classes or whatever. But this broad goes and picks out the pages she doesn't want to cover because they suck and gives them to me.

Does anyone else's co-teacher do this? I don't mind taking turns with the crappy sections, but after four months in a row of the same horrible sections, I'm getting irritated. Don't even bother suggesting talking to her. I already know she doesn't care and is doing it because she hates me/is lazy.

• TeachaTeacha
  • Expert Waygook

• September 06, 2012, 03:27:09 pm
    • South Korea
Re: getting assigned the worst/hardest sections of the book?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 09:12:34 am »
Annoying? Yes. Fair? No... but rather than letting it pee you off everyday, try turning it into a positive... an opportunity to have more fun and be creative. If it's a dull, dry section, spend as little time as needed on it, and then supplement it with more engaging stuff. Sure you have to do a little bit of prep, but there's plenty of spare time in the day for that, right?!

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 09:12:39 am »
If talking to her doesnt work take more drastic measures. Teach what parts you want to teach. She already taught it? Say she didnt do a good enough job, you are worried the kids didnt understand. Didnt cover a part the CT wanted you to? Let her do it then, say you ran out of time.

You are a teacher, this is your class. Run it how you want to. Dont say she is your co-teacher if she wont even communicate with you.

Also I agree with teacha, I dont really use the book. I just do my own lesson plans and loosely base it around the themes of the book.

Best of luck.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 09:15:17 am by Wintermute »

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 09:32:27 am »
If talking to her doesnt work take more drastic measures. Teach what parts you want to teach. She already taught it? Say she didnt do a good enough job, you are worried the kids didnt understand. Didnt cover a part the CT wanted you to? Let her do it then, say you ran out of time.

You are a teacher, this is your class. Run it how you want to. Dont say she is your co-teacher if she wont even communicate with you.

Also I agree with teacha, I dont really use the book. I just do my own lesson plans and loosely base it around the themes of the book.

Best of luck.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you Wintermute.  Even if your drastic measures work, they'll result in a soured relationship with the co-teacher.  IMO, that's never a good idea and certainly not worth it over a matter that - while annoying - can be resolved by looking at it from a different angle.

Like TeachaTeacha suggests, why not look at it as an opportunity to be creative and improve your lesson planning/worksheet making/activity creating/PPT designing skills?  Even the worst textbook can be spiced up with a little imagination.     

• cracker
  • Veteran

• April 04, 2011, 12:20:11 pm
    • Gangwon-do
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 10:51:15 am »
(students won't understand me because their English is to low

http://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com/difficulties/totootwo.html

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 11:00:36 am »
Which section is considered the hardest? Is it about grammar or games or what?

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 11:19:36 am »
 If it's a long reading section there are many things you can do to teach it in a more interesting an engaging way. When K teachers teach reading sections they just translate lots of the students just drift off or go to sleep because it's either too easy the student already learned it in a Hakwon. Or it's too difficult the students parents can't afford a Hakwon.

Take the page photo copy it several times and  paste it in several locations throughout the classroom. Use lots of high grade tape so it will stick. Give each group a blank A-4 page with lines on it. Each group will do a running dictation until the page is copied. You will have one writer and several runners. You will need to monitor the class to make sure students don't cheat. In ach group students will take turns  leaving their desks reading the material and dictating it back to their group. Do this until the entire page is copied.

Another thing you can do is prepare an (A) section and a (B) section of the material.
Delete alternating lines so each student only has half the text. Their partner has the remaining part of the text. They must read out their section and allow their partners to write it down. You will always get one or two who will just copy without doing the info gap properly I don't sweat it as long as most students do it properly

• papayapie
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2012, 10:30:06 am
    more
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 12:07:57 pm »

Zomgh o noez I made a typo!!!!!! Of course, you have to assume it's because I don't know that grammatical rule that people learn in the SECOND GRADE. Of course. It's not that I typed up my message and didn't care enough to look back over it. Of course not...I must just be stupid. I'll go kill myself now.

And to everyone else, thanks. I mostly just wanted to rant about it and see if anyone else has a lazy co-teacher who doesn't know enough English to teach it.

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 12:40:41 pm »
papayapie...welcome to Korea.  The person on the lowest rung of the ladder always gets the worst jobs and, as we are foreigners, we are the lowest rung.  Just get by, do it, don't let it annoy you, and be happy that your other CT's treat you better.  Any complaining is not Korean style and will definitely sour your relationship with the teacher and maybe other teachers.  It's a vicious cycle but she's just doing to you what her seniors did to her when she first started.

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 01:18:59 pm »
To those who are worried about souring the relationship....fro m the sounds of things the relationship is pretty darn soured.

I am doing a bit of assuming but, from the sounds of things she has attempted dialog, and it didnt work.

There is no reason any of you have to suffer to not sour a sourly person.

Whats more important, your students education or your non-co co-teachers?

And I agree, stray from the book, make your own lesson.

• iseya
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2012, 06:14:49 pm
    • USA
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 12:55:17 pm »
To those who are worried about souring the relationship....fro m the sounds of things the relationship is pretty darn soured.

I am doing a bit of assuming but, from the sounds of things she has attempted dialog, and it didnt work.

There is no reason any of you have to suffer to not sour a sourly person.

Whats more important, your students education or your non-co co-teachers?

And I agree, stray from the book, make your own lesson.

You'd just be making it worse on your self by making this your retarded Alamo. 
It's not an issue worth standing up against.
  And as bad as things are, your co-teacher can make it exponentionally worse if you dont maintain a decent relationship.
 Unless you are ready and willing to leave your job, rocking the boat over small issues is sanity suicide.

Definitely get the OPs frustration though.  I would just try to make it as fun as I could...or let them know in someway that I think its just as boring as they do so that I dont become "boring teacha".

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 01:12:26 pm »

Zomgh o noez I made a typo!!!!!! Of course, you have to assume it's because I don't know that grammatical rule that people learn in the SECOND GRADE. Of course. It's not that I typed up my message and didn't care enough to look back over it. Of course not...I must just be stupid. I'll go kill myself now.

And to everyone else, thanks. I mostly just wanted to rant about it and see if anyone else has a lazy co-teacher who doesn't know enough English to teach it.

Why criticize your co-teacher for being lazy if you yourself are?

Why expect other people to read your message and care about it if you don't?