Read 3496 times

• 한소로
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2012, 07:50:46 am
    more
Heater suggestions?
« on: October 27, 2012, 08:11:43 pm »
So, last winter was pretty horrible in my apartment. My ondol doesn't work very well and my clothes take way too many days to dry. My AC has a dehumidifier but it just gets too cold to use it in the winter.

I thought it would be good to buy a space heater for this winter, and maybe a heated blanket. I was looking at them at Home Plus today and realized I have no idea what is a good bargain on these things. I was talking to a salesman and every time I picked a small one she would tell me it would cost too much to run.

So my question is, can anyone give a suggestion for a good heater to buy? A reasonably priced one that not too big? I don't mind if it makes the air dry, that would help actually...

(Sorry if this thread is in the wrong section)

• joseph921
  • Super Waygook

• September 15, 2010, 09:00:43 am
Dish Heaters vs Regular Heaters
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 06:43:01 pm »
I'd like to hear any personal feedback and experiences from ppl who own one of those dish heaters (it looks like a metallic fan and it gives off heat instead of air). 

I heard that they use up much less electricity and heat up the room much better.

Any recommendations? I'm in the market to buy one.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
Re: Dish Heaters vs Regular Heaters
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 07:01:19 pm »
All heaters are 100% efficient.

The 'dish' heaters are radiant heaters and will direct a focused 'beam' of heat somewhere.  Usually at you, if you are sitting in the right position.

I don't know what you mean by 'regular' heaters because it depends on what happens to be most common where you are.

Anyway, if you want to heat the room, use the ondol.

• miss_cho
  • Super Waygook

• October 10, 2011, 10:00:55 am
    • Korea
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 07:55:45 pm »
I have a largish apartment with 2 rooms - I try to avoid using the ondol unless I'm going to be home for the entire day/weekend and need to work around the apartment because there's no point heating the second room when I spend 99% of the time in my bedroom.

I have what I think you mean to be a regular heater (a small space heater) and the "fan" heater. I have the fan heater on right now and it has effectively heated my closed bedroom to a pleasant temperature in about an hour. My room is well insulated and so after I turn it off soon most of the heat will stay in the room. I tried the regular heater in this room as well and it didn't heat up the room nearly as well.

I can't speak for the cost effectiveness of the various heaters because this is my first winter in this apartment. I used the regular space heater in my small poorly insulated one room last winter (running it regularly when I was home) and my electricity bill was 100,000 won in the coldest month on top of the 50,000-60,000 won for occasionally running the ondol and taking really hot showers. I wore a few layers while home too so it definitely wasn't very effective.

So based on my experience the fan heater is more effective but I'm not sure what the monthly bills will look like.

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 08:58:20 pm »
Owning both, the fan heaters are better for immediate heat, especially direct heat the radiator type ones are better for heating the whole room.
Nullius in Verba

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 09:57:06 pm »
a bit off-topic, but a way I've seen a lot of Korean households get around the not wanting to heat a redundant room is to buy one of the floor mats (like an electric ondol) for their lounge/bedroom.

They can get a little bit pricey, i think around 50 000 won to mid 100 000s or more depending on the material/size etc, but it's an option.
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

• joseph921
  • Super Waygook

• September 15, 2010, 09:00:43 am
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 08:14:17 am »
Thanks for the responses.  Sorry, by "regular" heater, yes, I did mean "space" heater.  I found the dish heater seems to be better at directing the heat in a specific area, but I suppose the bottomline is that they do the same thing (heat up a room). 

I was mainly intrigued by the claim that fan dish heaters use up less electricity (one source even said, "a fraction") while being able to dissipate the heat more efficiently/effectively.  I was doing some window shopping this weekend and so far it doesn't seem like that's true at all.  Most of the fan dish heaters use 700-1000W (on high).  That's about the same or slightly less than a lot of space heaters I saw (900-1200W). 

I use an electric blanket and the "ondol" (sparingly).

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 09:26:27 am »
Unless your heater has a fan to blow the air around, or it has a mechanical pivoting base. Then some of the energy is lost in friction.

Bzzt!  Going to have to stop you there.

Indeed, some energy is used to overcome friction, but that energy is dissipated in the form of... heat!

Re: Heater suggestions?
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 02:07:06 pm »
I bought a little space heater last year as I thought it'd be a cheaper way to keep warm than the 250k won gas bill I'd gotten the year before despite the temp in my apartment never going over 18.

The space heater warmed things way up, but then I got a 300k electricity bill. I was floored. It was a little room!

Anyway, this year I'm only running that thing for 1-2 hours at a time when I'm awake and I have a big electric blanket on my bed I use when I'm sleeping. Really hoping this keeps me warm without costing me a small portion.

February will be the big test.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 02:33:15 pm »
merged the two heater topics together.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• July 15, 2012, 03:48:16 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 03:40:42 pm »
My ondol went on permanently this week, all I change is how much heat I want from it. I tried turning it off during the day which has been okay until this week. Now getting home to a cold apartment is no fun and it takes several hours to warm up. I imagine the energy needed to get it warm is not far off that which it would use keeping it warm during the day, plus I'm needlessly uncomfortable for those couple of hours.
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.

• Harpoinseoul
  • Expert Waygook

• March 23, 2011, 06:49:03 pm
    • Coquitlam, BC
    more
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 07:20:54 pm »
Here is some info. on a HeLeN near-infra red heater that I picked up. Very economical!

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,26083.msg290260.html#msg290260
Skype Video Counselor in Coquitlam, BC

Make the best use of what's in your power; take the rest as it comes.

The thing that upsets people is not what happens; but what they think it means.

Epictetus (55 - 135 C.E.)

Inter-faith spiritual counselor
http://www.harpo.ca

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• July 15, 2012, 03:48:16 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 07:38:24 pm »
I've seen some thermostats or ondol control panels that have a timer on them that you can program to come on at a certain time. I'm not sure how hard it would be to swap out the one you've got but if it's possible, you could get one of those and have it turn on a couple hours before you plan on arriving home. You could also set it to turn off an hour before you usually leave home.

That is a great idea. I like the efficiency and accuracy of it. My control panel only has options to turn up or down (or off) the heating or hot water, and a sleep function. That's not really very useful when I like to wake up without ice on the inside of the windows. I'd like the heating to go off an hour before I leave for work and come on an hour or two before I return. Also it could go off between 1am and 5am as I sleep better in a cold room. Will start looking for that this weekend. Cheers!
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.