Read 7968 times

• anichion
  • Veteran

• March 12, 2010, 10:29:38 am
    • Naju
Bad cab driver crackdown in Seoul
« on: February 08, 2011, 10:21:17 am »
http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2931899
Has a Seoul taxi ever refused to take you where you want to go? Especially on frigid or rainy nights?

The Seoul Metropolitan Government announced a package of penalties and incentives yesterday to put finicky cabbies in their place, especially those who refuse fares or drop passengers off short of their destinations.

Seoul will designate one day a week as an “on-site crackdown day” and police will scour 20 locations for uncooperative cabbies, including Gangnam, Express Bus Terminal, Hongdae, Jongno, Yangjae, and Dongdaemun.

A driver who is caught refusing a fare will be fined up to 200,000 won ($181) for the first offense. For a second offense, the driver will have his license suspended for 10 days. A third offense will lead to a 20-day suspension, and the license will be revoked if a driver is caught a fourth time.

The government will also crack down on call-taxi drivers who turn off their radio receivers, through which they get passengers. Cabbies often turn off the receivers late at night to avoid fares to unfavored destinations.

At the same time, the government will reward call-taxi drivers who take passengers from 10:00 p.m. to 3:00 a.m. with 2,000 won to 3,000 won per fare. Part of the reward will go to the driver and part to his company. But the incentive will not be offered to call-taxi companies that employ drivers who are caught turning off receivers. And the company’s license will be scrapped if caught a second time.

The 120 Dasan Call Center received 15,165 complaints from passengers who reported they were rejected by taxis in 2010, up 13 percent from 2009.

By Kim Mi-ju [mijukim@joongang.co.kr]
I haven't had this happen to me in Seoul, but I have heard of entire neighborhoods in some cities being no-go zones because of distance.

Re: Bad cab driver crackdown in Seoul
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 10:25:58 am »
I have had this happen in Seoul, many times in Hongdae when they only want long distance runs.
Thanks for sharing,its great to see something is being done about it. I will finally be able to get home without begging!  :o

• kissdisap
  • Veteran

• September 06, 2010, 07:49:04 am
    • seoul
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 10:29:04 am »
This has happened to me before as well - the worst time when I was trying to get from Gangnam to Sadang.  Waiting outside in the freezing cold for at least 45 minutes all while stopping dozens of cabs, none of which wanted to take us.

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 10:53:03 am »
I tried to go home to Guro from Hongdae and five taxis turned me down.  Eventually, I went home with my friend to Gangnam.  It was super annoying.

• nzer-in-gyeongnam
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 07, 2010, 01:23:29 pm
    • Gyeongnam-do
    more
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 10:57:30 am »
Yikes! This is steep for the cabbies but good news for us.

While in Seoul vacationing over New Years, I had a friend who was badly injured, we gave a taxi driver the address we wanted to go to, and SO many said 'no' or 'don't know where that is'. I felt like screaming use your bloody gps! None of them would take us... finally she just holed up in one and refused to leave, so he took us to where we wanted to go. I was SO thankful that he did.

It's really bad in Hongdae, my Korean friend told me that SO many are declined because the cabbies there want long fares... what they don't realize is they could make more money with short fares and lots of them!
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!

• hc2010
  • Waygookin

• March 31, 2010, 01:01:24 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 11:01:08 am »
Even with long fares I've been refused. Hongdae and other places.

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 11:05:21 am »
Yeah, I have the long distance fare prob in Daejeon too. Unfortunately, it tends to be at the supermarket and it's too far to walk home with a boxload of crud. There are however two solutions!

1) Black cabs. A work colleague told me this one. The higher flagfall black cabs don't care about distance and are intended for short trips (I've also been told the black cabbies must know English or Japanese and that was the distinction and reason for the price increase, who knows?)

2) Taxi hailer folded up in your walltet. I nicked this idea off the internet from a guy saying it was worth buying an ipad for this. That's bloody crazy talk. MyPad is a piece of scrap paper with cheap black ink on it. Price: 0 won. Anyhow, write your apartment's gu and dong on the papaer in big bold hangeul and hold it up facing the road. You're mostly aiming at cabs driving by OR that have just picked up other fares. That's right, FULL CABS. Whilst you may nab an empty cab being called in that direction for a long distance fare, in somewhere like Seoul, you're more likely to invoke an obscure city bylaw: cabs are allowed to double-book. They can hold two fares at full price if they're going the same direction. Furthermore, that are technically not permitted to deny fares that can fit in their taxi and are en route with their current fare.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 11:46:36 am »
How about all those vultures preying upon tourists and foreigners at Gimpo and Incheon airport? They’re charging upwards of 100 000 won for a cab ride that should not exceed 10 000 won! They're all in cahoots too as all of them seem to be charging the same fare. The cops needs to crack some skulls over there.

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 11:50:20 am »
How about all those vultures preying upon tourists and foreigners at Gimpo and Incheon airport? They’re charging upwards of 100 000 won for a cab ride that should not exceed 10 000 won! They're all in cahoots too as all of them seem to be charging the same fare. The cops needs to crack some skulls over there.

Given most have the audacity to seek fares within the terminals, this should be partly the responsibility of the airports themselves. Now if only some notable travel guides would stop heaping awards on Incheon for a second, demote it, and cite this as the sole reason it got demoted. Heads would roll.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 11:59:11 am »
I was at Masan bus terminal the other night wanting to get home but the last bus had left 5 minutes earlier.  It's only 15 minutes away but I heard that there were no taxis going there (cause it's not in Masan or Changwon).  While checking bus times to go via busan (will take 40 minutes longer, but I'd get home for 7000won) a cabby kept saying I had to take his cab.  His math was pathetic, cause I explained to him that Busan x 2 people on the bus (me and my friend) is only about 15 000 and his cab is 35 000 so it's more than double, he kept saying taking the bus was more expensive.  Idiot.  Anyways, I took the (wrong) innercity bus towards changwon and got off way too early - eventually flagged down a different cab who charged us 15 000. (Still 7500 each!!!) And we were practically still in Masan, since we got off way too early!

• kaymac
  • Super Waygook

• September 25, 2009, 03:53:47 am
    • Yeosu
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 01:03:28 pm »
Hehe... the Incheon point is so true. My first experience after getting through Customs into Incheon was to have a taxi driver try and take my cart of luggage, knocking one bag off in the process to get me to go with him to Gimpo. Pretty much had to rip into him to convince him I was perfectly happy to wait for the train to open in the morning.

• shmoogrin
  • Veteran

• December 01, 2010, 03:08:32 pm
    • Jinju, South Korea
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 01:11:48 pm »
They should be working on this everywhere.  I live in a smaller city on the south coast and after returning from a trip to Seoul, my wife and I were accosted by a cab driver screaming numbers at us (How did he even know where we wanted to go?) and when we turned to walk away from him he actually grabbed my wife's arm!  I have never seen anything like it in Korea having lived here a year and a half.  He is lucky I did not take him out.

• Janitor
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• June 14, 2010, 02:01:32 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 01:28:10 pm »
ahhhh so many stories...

This was actually my first experience in Korea was having a cab driver try and take my bags and put them into his car. Thankfully another foreigner told him to get lost. After 11 hours on the plane, this blew my mind.

So many times I have had these guys grab or yell at me to take their cab while waiting for the bus at the airport. Like as if I am going to take a cab from Incheon to Ulsan!

Even in Ulsan they sit in front of the Lotte hotel only taking fares to the farthest destinations. When they put in the KTX station that is about 10 minutes out of Ulsan, they were going to have a free shuttle bus to boost tourism. The taxi drivers kicked up a stink and went on strike! Now the bus costs 3,100 won.

Lastly, the other day I had photo gig to do and I need to get to the top of one of the mountains. I had little time and needed the shots. The driver complained the whole way and even more so when I asked him to wait while I got the shots. He then continued to complain  the whole way down the hill. He made it sound like I asked him to drive to drive an hour out of town. Instead of 5 minutes up a hill. I finally even tipped him for waiting and he was complaining that it wasn't enough! He went on and on about the gas and the "stress on his engine"

I love the service here in Korea but yes I think a reminder that taxi drivers are a service industry is needed. I hope this catches on elsewhere.

• ISangHae
  • Adventurer

• September 25, 2010, 02:13:02 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 02:42:01 pm »
This does need to happen everywhere. But they will only test it in Seoul for the moment...

I had a school dinner in Paju, which I didn't want to attend due to an appointment.

Went along anyway so as not to offend the head teacher & principal, and no cab would drive me from Jayuro (the restaurant was pretty much on the exit) to ANY of the subway stations. The call center told me I'd have to wait an hour. I walked to the nearest bus stop, flagged a cab, and still paid out the nose (13,500) to a subway stop in Paju>:( 

The cabbies here are lazy and good for nothing.

• Joss
  • Adventurer

• June 18, 2010, 01:18:08 pm
    • Busan, south korea
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 02:50:27 pm »
The worst is when they pretend they don't understand what you're saying to get you out of their cab.
I've lived above the same subway station for two years. I KNOW I'm pronouncing the name right. It's so frustrating!

• amn34
  • Veteran

• September 08, 2010, 07:28:59 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 02:58:50 pm »
The worst is when they pretend they don't understand what you're saying to get you out of their cab.
I've lived above the same subway station for two years. I KNOW I'm pronouncing the name right. It's so frustrating!

Took the words right out of my mouth.  I once complained to a coteacher about this and she said they have a hard time understanding her too, even though she's Korean.  She said they just don't care enough to listen.  That said, I have noticed and it drives me crazy that if I say my station, they 'don't understand' but if I'm with another Westerner who's male, they'll always understand.  Is it a sexist thing?

• Koreak
  • Super Waygook

• November 13, 2010, 08:15:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 03:01:16 pm »
My favourite taxi experience is the slow roll-up to your destination and then the 10m past where you say 여기요.  Only for 100 won more.  That happens about 20% of the time.   

I am curious to hear about the differences between small city vs big city.  In my 3 and half years in small town Korea I have never had someone refuse me service.  I have only had one bad experience and I am a regular taxi client. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 03:03:02 pm by kajbdc »

• scottdk
  • Veteran

• October 04, 2010, 12:30:13 pm
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 03:07:52 pm »
While I've had this problem of catching a taxi in Gangnam, I've actually had a very nice experience with a taxi driver when I first got here.  I was walking out of the airport on my way to a bus when a taxi driver initially wanted my business.  I told him it was too far for me to take a cab and I asked him where I could get a pre-paid phone in the airport.  He allowed me to use his phone to call my friend to pick up the rest of the directions to his place.  The taxi driver helped me over to the bus ticketing station and showed me where to wait for my bus :)

• anichion
  • Veteran

• March 12, 2010, 10:29:38 am
    • Naju
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 08:31:54 am »
They also need it in Gwangju city, but for a different reason.
Out of 10 cab rides I've taken there, 6 of those 10 cab rides were at least twice the speed limit and involved running red lights with cars coming. I swear, some of these Gwangju cab drivers think they're in Initial D or Fast and the Furious!

One time, I was riding to the educational office with some co-workers, when an old lady on a scooter ran a red light and got hit by a car that was stopping at the light. The cab driver took a short look, called someone, and two minutes later, the radio station he was listening to had a report about the accident, along with the hosts' insensitive laughter. Because, after all, roadkilled Grandma jokes are an audience delight! 

• tamba_de
  • Adventurer

• December 06, 2010, 10:28:21 am
    • Yanju, South korea
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 09:05:17 am »
I was warned about the cab drivers before I came so I have no inhibition about the situation.  I couldn't fathom the idea originally that there are taxi drivers out there that don't want your business!?! but it does happen all the time.  I just refuse to exit the cab, after all, their time is money, not mine in most situations.  If they stop, Im getting in,
It also seems like there are no rules as well, some fares are too short, others too long, some to places where they know it will be difficult to get a return fare so they don't want to take that fare either.  Im glad that this is happening, there is a large chunk of the night where people simply do not have a choice to get home.