Read 3510 times

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• July 15, 2012, 03:48:16 pm
    • Korea
North Korea Warn Of Merciless Strike Against South Korea
« on: October 21, 2012, 07:46:55 pm »
From the article - "The moment a minor movement for the scattering is captured ... a merciless military strike by the Western Front will be put into practice without warning," the KPA said in a statement carried on the official Korean Central News Agency. Residents in and around the area where the activists plan to launch their balloons should "evacuate in anticipation of possible damage", the statement said.

"The surrounding area will become targets of direct firing of the KPA," it said, adding: "The KPA never makes empty talk." A group of North Korean defectors plan to carry out the leafleting exercise on October 22 at 11:30am (0230 GMT) at the border near the town of Paju, around 60 kilometres (35 miles) north of Seoul. Such exercises are relatively common and North Korea has threatened action in the past, but Friday's statement was unusually strong with its specific naming of the time and location, coupled with the evacuation warning."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/9619565/North-Korea-threatens-merciless-strike-against-the-south.html

I wonder if the new NK leader is just all mouth like his old man or if this is actually a serious threat ? I have a colleague whose family live and work in Paju, not sure if I should bring this up with her.
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.

• Jeff619
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2011, 08:12:52 am
Re: North Korea Warn Of Merciless Strike Against South Korea
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 09:53:15 pm »
My in-laws live in Paju as well.  I just had lunch with them today and they never even brought it up. South Koreans have certainly become complacent and I guess I have as well.  Nothing to see here, move along.

I thought it was funny that one of the NK generals or some other rank said they never make empty threats.  If that were true, Seoul would have been burning in a sea of fire a long time ago.

• Hazie
  • Waygookin

• March 07, 2011, 07:22:58 pm
    • Daegu, Korea
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 10:07:09 pm »
Dammit Jeff619, I'm sick of you saying that North Korea has been making empty threats for 60 years. That's it -- I know I keep telling you I'm gonna kick your arse, but this time I mean it. I'm super serial.

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 11:02:33 pm »
Listen Jeff, Hazie, if you two can't settle your differences then I'm going to step in and settle it for you!

Amurrica!!!

• Jeff619
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 08:21:09 am »
Once again Wintermute and his puppet follower tell me how to post while the rest of the Waygook community does nothing.

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 09:26:20 am »
I have no respect for those who utter empty threats.

Poop or get off the pot as my late father used to say. I don't care! I live as far away from Seoul as you can get not counting Jeju.

Let the missiles fly. A little less talk and a lot more action.

Man and son fishing see missiles in the air.

Son: Dad look at that! What does it mean?

Dad: I'll tell ya what it means son, size doesn't matter and to heck with the limit!  :laugh:
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

• Jeff619
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 11:15:33 am »
My wife just told me that Imjingak has been closed to keep people from sending the balloons. I don't have any other details right now, though.

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 12:30:00 pm »
My wife just told me that Imjingak has been closed to keep people from sending the balloons. I don't have any other details right now, though.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-20024606

BBC has the update. Imjingak was indeed blocked by police. The protest didn't occur. It doesn't look like the evacuation orders have been lifted yet. Stay tuned...

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 02:51:26 pm »
Surprised they have blocked the area, perhaps they have good intelligence that the threat was not an idle one this time. On the other hand, elections are coming up soon, unlike most of the other occasions when leaflets are sent over the border.

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 08:54:50 pm »
Why does the South cater so much to the North? Seriously. They freaking sunk your ship and shelled one of your islands.  So much for the tough talk by the South about retaliating to a North attack. Typical here. All talk, talk, talk. No action.
I used to be a master of pandemonium

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 08:18:56 am »
Why does the South cater so much to the North? Seriously. They freaking sunk your ship and shelled one of your islands.  So much for the tough talk by the South about retaliating to a North attack. Typical here. All talk, talk, talk. No action.

They didn't sink the ship.  Look it up.  NK never claimed to have done it, and all you'll find are news stories about SK's suspicions, but no evidence.

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• July 15, 2012, 03:48:16 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 08:33:20 am »

They didn't sink the ship.  Look it up.  NK never claimed to have done it, and all you'll find are news stories about SK's suspicions, but no evidence.

There was some 'evidence' found by Koreans trawling the area with special nets. What was found were fragments of a torpedo that North Korea is known to manufacture and export, including markings, in Korean script, which are said to be consistent with those on a previously obtained model.

But North Korea didn't admit culpability, which leads me to believe they didn't want to start a war. It could've been a malfunctioning piece of equipment, a rogue soldier or human error.

Also Korea is aware its actions are very clearly monitored by outside agencies; I'm sure retaliation is very seriously considered and discussed before being carried out.
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.

• TheWB18
  • Expert Waygook

• October 27, 2011, 07:51:30 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 09:41:55 am »

It's a lose-lose situation for them.

Retaliate, start a war, and although they'd surely win, or at least not lose, they would suffer significant casualties, as would the U.S. military. This would include lots of civilians killed in Seoul, Gyeonggi, and Gangwon. At best they'd topple the regime and...what? Have 20+ million starving people to take care of, an outdated Eastern bloc-era infrastructure, and all manner of diplomatic issues with China.

I imagine they have a calculus, and it's something like, as long as it's just a few military personnel killed in a given year or period, it's not worth the trouble. A ship here, a few enlisted men there = not worth the war.

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 06:45:51 pm »

There was some 'evidence' found by Koreans trawling the area with special nets. What was found were fragments of a torpedo that North Korea is known to manufacture and export, including markings, in Korean script, which are said to be consistent with those on a previously obtained model.

But North Korea didn't admit culpability, which leads me to believe they didn't want to start a war. It could've been a malfunctioning piece of equipment, a rogue soldier or human error.

Also Korea is aware its actions are very clearly monitored by outside agencies; I'm sure retaliation is very seriously considered and discussed before being carried out.

The area in which the torpedo was found is in disputed waters where both Koreas carry out firing exercises. It is not a surprise that a torpedo was found. What has not ever been proven is that the torpedo found is the same that sunk the Cheonan. Indeed, it has not been proven that the cause of the sinking was a torpedo.

There is a big split among experts-not Korean journalists split down the left and right-but experts with background in the navy, science, and international affairs.

North Korea remains a strong suspect, but culpability has not yet been proven. We may never know beyond doubt what happened until well after reunification.

The most convincing argument, in my view at least, that North Korea is culpable is written for the International Journal of Korean Studies, which you can access for free online, by Bruce Bechtol Jr: "The Implications of the Cheonan Sinking: A Security Studies Perspective." I write the most convincing because just about everything else that supported the investigation used the investigation as a reference so it was a circular argument, or used no references or evidence at all.

Professor Tim Beal, who wrote a recent book, Crisis in Korea, thinks otherwise and spends half the book dissecting the official investigation.

If you don't want to buy a book, this should give some pause for thought. University of Virginia physicist Seunghun Lee and SAIS expert in Korean affairs JJ Suh wrote for the journal Japan Focus about the scientific inconsistencies of linking the torpedo to the Cheonan. http://www.japanfocus.org/-Seunghun-Lee/3382