Read 3252 times

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ceo-workers-youll-likely-fired-131640914.html;_ylt=At9S_AG7j3cTgVdjU1Wza6eiuYdG;_ylu=X3oDMTQ4djQ3NmRoBG1pdANDTkJDIFRvcCBTdG9yaWVzBHBrZwNkZjQyMTg0Ni04MzhmLTM0MzAtOWIzYy1mODcxNjNkODk2NDYEcG9zAzEEc2VjA01lZGlhQkxpc3RNaXhlZExQQ0FUZW1wBHZlcgM2YTE3OTRmOC0xMmU0LTExZTItYmJkYS04MzM1NWUyZjA0YWQ-;_ylg=X3oDMTFpNzk0NjhtBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

On one hand, it's appalling that somebody would actually use this type of tactic to try to manipulate people. On the other hand, you know what can happen and can try to save your job and your co-workers' jobs. 

Would you want to know what your boss is going to fire you ahead of time, so you can be prepared? Or would you rather just wait for your boss to be quiet and drop the bomb on you when the time comes?

I don't know anything about this guy, but I know that the Koch brothers did the same thing recently. Those guys are greedy and viscious people. At the same time, I know there are also good and honest employers who might have the same thing running through their minds, but they are unwilling to say it out loud. 

• Jeff619
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2011, 08:12:52 am
Re: What Would You Think and Do If Your Employer Told You Who to Vote For?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 09:09:07 am »
First let me say that I have not decided who I want to vote for but I'm leaning toward Obama.  That said, I think this whole thing is getting blown out of proportion.  He never said he'd fire anyone for voting for Obama.  Or maybe I missed it.  What I've seen is that he said if Obama wins and raises taxes, he'll have to lay people off.  I don't see anything wrong with that.  It's probably true as well. 

I have a bigger problem with churches telling their congregation who to vote for. 

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 09:22:24 am »
What would I think ??

I'd think : 'Go F yourself ... I'll vote for whomever I damn well please.' 

I'd also keep in mind that several of the Supreme Court justices are well into their seventies & the President in the next term will nominate a replacement for at least one of them. 

So there are not just economic issues at stake, but societal issues as well.     

What would I do ??

I'd vote my conscience & keep it to myself. Voting is a personal, private decision.

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 09:31:54 am »

I'd vote my conscience & keep it to myself. Voting is a personal, private decision.

I agree with this completely. Voting is personal, I don't understand why everyone always seems to bring it up all the time. I personally don't care who someone else votes for, that's not to point.  I personally feel that when people bring up the topic of voting (like when out to dinner or something) and their views that they just want to argue or had a bad day and want to vent somehow. Don't get me wrong- I do care about who our President is and all that jazz, I just don't need to know every single person on the planets vote- and we're not supposed to know.

Of course now that I've brought this up I'm sure someone somewhere will disagree.  :D Oh well. Everyone is entitled to their rights (free speech!) and this was mine for the day.
adios

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 09:48:26 am »
Eeek. I've actually been in this man's mansion. Had no idea he appears to be so irrational.

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 10:41:59 am »
I'd tell him to stick it.
I used to be a master of pandemonium

• TheWB18
  • Expert Waygook

• October 27, 2011, 07:51:30 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 11:38:03 am »
Well, in the case of David Siegel, I'd think, "What a massive hypocrite".

He happens to have made his fortune not, say, creating and marketing new technology or new products, or even with a restaurant or retail chain.  He made a fortune selling time shares, specifically by using the "wouldn't you like some luxury?" sort of pitch, specifically targeting people who could just barely afford it.

So it's especially disgusting to see this bloated, parasitic worm criticizing people for living outside of their means, when a significant chunk, if not the entirety, of his fortune comes from convincing people to live outside of their means.

Check out reviews/articles about the documentary about him referenced in this article, The Queen of Versailles.  If you're not into searching, here's a tangential piece which gets at some of the hypocrisy: http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2012/10/16/family-fortunes/

• livzy
  • Super Waygook

• April 21, 2012, 09:08:25 pm
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 11:47:32 am »
1. Go ahead and vote for Mubarak O'Bama.
2. Tell the boss, get fired, record the conversation.
3. Sue ex-boss, go on tv.
4. Profit!

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 11:49:09 am »
I'd probably think: "what am I doing still working for someone else?" and "who the hell does he think he is trying to tell me what to do with my vote? Do I look like a serf to him?" and "I don't even believe that voting in this current system changes anything, so, psh, whatever".

What I'd do: Ignore him.

Or if he was being really controlling about it and feudal-lordish, I'd find some way to be independent as quickly as possible and then maliciously hurt his business in some way that wouldn't affect me, just make him lose money.

"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 01:19:40 pm »
I'd first gently try to remind said boss that telling me who to vote for is illegal.  If he still shows no signs of regaining his moral compass (if there is one to regain), I would either do as livzy said and record the conversation of me getting fired, OR I would vote for who I wanted and tell him I did as he asked.  Yup.

• oskinny1
  • Expert Waygook

• November 01, 2010, 10:31:37 am
    • Busan
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 04:46:17 pm »
1. Go ahead and vote for Mubarak O'Bama.
2. Tell the boss, get fired, record the conversation.
3. Sue ex-boss, go on tv.
4. Profit!

I wonder if you actually know what "mubarak" means in Arabic?

answer: Blessed or Blessed one

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 11:01:40 pm »
Smile and vote however the hell I please (not against in rebellion, just independently).

People try to sway opinion, some even crosd the line to try and persuade or intimidate. The fact that I don't need to say anything to the boss other than show positive attitude (just smile, not even a nod of assent) and simply do as I please (the process is secret after all).

No lies, no deception, no manipulation. Water off of a duck's back. Voting is one of the easiest societal responsibilities I believe. Important, but dang straightforward.

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 03:12:03 pm »
I'd vote for Snoopy! In fact, I have voted for Snoopy, and the Rhinoceros Party for any of you who remember them!
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

• cwhetsell
  • Veteran

• October 24, 2010, 05:40:45 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
    more
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 12:56:03 pm »
I'd tell him... "Holdup, lemme get back to you, I just got a call on my OBAMAPHONE!!!"

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 02:10:21 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 06:42:06 pm »
Just as before, I'd vote for whomever I please. There's no way for my employer to check.

That being said, I'd appreciate having all the facts. If a certain candidate had a policy that would strongly effect my livelihood, it would weigh heavily on my vote.