Read 3421 times

• rexbaylon
  • Veteran

• March 08, 2012, 02:41:20 pm
    • south korea
furniture provided by my school and mold question
« on: October 15, 2012, 05:59:49 pm »
hi,

when i signed my contract there was a list of furniture and appliances (e.g. refrigerator, bed, rice cooker, chair) that the school provided and I had to sign my name to each item i received in the contract. Anyway, they provided me with a desk but I don't really need it because I've been using the dining table they provided as my desk. So, it would be superfluous to have 2 desks in my small bungalow especially since I don't use it. Plus, the desk they gave me is not in the best shape. Anyways, can I dispose of it or am I obliged to keep it because I signed on my contract that I received it.

2nd question: During the summer a light brown greenish mold started growing on parts of my wall. All my attempts to clean and wash it off have resulted in part of the infected wall to turn black and also the wallpaper is beginning to slough off in that area. Will the school make me pay for its repairs??

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
Re: furniture provided by my school and mold question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 06:05:38 pm »
you can't just get rid of the table. it's not yours, it's the school's. you'll either have to a) live with it in your apartment, or b) find somewhere to store it.

about the mould, you should let the landlord know. they may just put some fresh wallpaper over it though.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• rexbaylon
  • Veteran

• south korea
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 06:24:32 pm »
Thanks for the advice, to clarify my living arrangements are a bit unique. I live in a small rural community in the mountains. And also I live in my school's backyard in a small bungalow so my landlord is my vice-principal.

• rexbaylon
  • Veteran

• south korea
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 06:33:26 pm »
Awright thanks for the advice, I always feel weird asking though. They're all nice people that I work with but I hate to be a bother, especially since my vice-principal doesn't speak english very well. And of course he's a super nice person and then will make a big deal about it and get several of the staff to assist. And I'd just feel ashamed of making so much trouble over something so trivial and getting people to deal with my stupid trivial problem just because I want a bit more space in my home.

• rexbaylon
  • Veteran

• south korea
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 09:42:17 am »
how bad is mold exposure anyway? Reading up on it online and some sites say respiratory irritation and rash but some say a whole host of diseases which will ultimately result in death.

• buddy_eh
  • Waygookin

• October 11, 2012, 08:00:15 am
    • Korea
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 12:24:59 pm »
you should not feel ashamed to ask about the mold. I had a moldy mattress, pillow and blanket when I moved into my apartment and I told the school that i won't sleep on that or have it my place and they helped me take out the matress and got me a new one... the rest i disposed off myself. you should be aware that the black mould is toxic, it damages your nervous system (permanently, of course)... Other kinds of mould like the pink, green, yellow etc. (you will see those in your bathroom typically) are not so bad, though those microbes will contribute to you getting sick perhaps more often if you have a weak immune system and if you do not let the air out of your apartment. Personally I always keep my windows open slightly for health and aesthetic reasons, even though it does make your heating bill more expensive.

• teachermc
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2010, 11:47:41 am
    • Tongyeong, South Korea
    more
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 02:35:27 pm »
Mold will be an issue no matter where you live in Korea.  Poor building practices here are widespread - buildings are designed with little thought about moisture control and ventilation.  Also, insulation is almost completely lacking and indoor climate control seems a completely undesirable feature here.

Your place seems pretty old, but even the new two-room I live in has (had) mold in every room.  That is with two AC units.  I have to check for condensation often around the windows.  And do not forget to move any furniture you may have against a wall regularly.  I just moved a shelf last weekend and found a menacing patch starting to grow.

I second taeyang's assumption - they will most likely "clean" the area locally and re-paper.  I would definitely mention it now rather than later; just do not expect your school to be surprised or very worried about it.

Check out information here from the USA EPA.

• Lissa
  • Waygookin

• February 28, 2011, 01:01:40 pm
    • Gumi, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 02:49:38 pm »
Here's a little advice about mold.

Last summer my co-teachers kindly bought me some disposable dehumidifiers and told me to put them around my apartment...they worked wonders and it's amazing to see how much water they collect. I swear by these now and always have a few sitting around the apartment.

I've never had a mold problem since! I'm not sure what they are called in Korean but they have pink lids and cost about 15,000Won for a pack of 3.

Here's a link to what the brand packaging looks like...  ;D Unfortunately couldn't find a picture of the actual compact dehumidifiers but this is a well known brand here in Korea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hyundai-Hmall-Oksu-Water-Drink-Hippo-Shoes-70g-4p-Perfect-Dehumidifier-/170724694544?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bffc1a10
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 02:51:12 pm by Lissa »

• ganstar
  • Veteran

• November 06, 2009, 02:16:52 pm
    • busan
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 07:54:08 pm »
I moved stuff to my school, including a table. They weren't that happy, but I did it. Just ask and be politely persistent.

I moved into a brand new never-lived-in-before one room this January and it developed mould in places over winter. So no one is immune. Teachermac is spot on, grows behind things so don't forget to leave a good amount of space between the wall and whatever is in front of it. Some mould grew behind my bed and I had at least a two or three inch gap there. I will definitely have to think about opening my windows at times throughout this winter. No good for the gas bill but perhaps necessary.   

• rexbaylon
  • Veteran

• south korea
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 01:04:54 pm »
after a visit to the doctor last week for what i thought was a cold but later found out were allergies caused by the mold I finally told my co-teacher about my mold problem. It took quite a lot of explaining and showing him pictures of the actual mold in my place for him to understand that i was having a fungus problem. So now in a few days my school is gonna apparently spray my place to kill the mold and then give me what I assume to be a dehumidifier, which I've been warned will jack up my electricity bill so only to use it sparingly.

• dachiza727
  • Super Waygook

• June 24, 2010, 09:52:23 pm
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 01:25:32 pm »
my first year i had a mold problem. I cleaned the tarnished mold area's numerous times, in each case the problem came back.  I ended up throwing away all damaged furniture (closet, desk, shelf). Everything has been fine since.  I probably wasn't supposed to dispose of the furniture, but I didn't bother to ask.  I wasn't going to continue to let that problem fester in my living space especially after it spread from my closet to my clothes (that was the last straw for me).

Since then I've discovered the water absorbing hippo thingy's they sell in the store and they do a good job of collecting the water out of my air.  They've kept my apartment mold free for the past 3 years (the aircon was also helpful during the summer).
"Iíll have a vanilla...one of those vanilla bullshit things. You know, whatever you want, some vanilla bullshit latte cappa thing. Whatever you got."

true dat.