Read 2995 times

Military service required for gyopos with NON-teaching jobs?
« on: October 06, 2012, 02:54:53 pm »
delete
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 09:54:51 pm by luoldeng9 »

• jackdaniels
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 18, 2009, 02:00:00 pm
Re: Military service required for gyopos with NON-teaching jobs?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 03:33:44 pm »
Hi, I am a gyopo who was born and raised in America. My parents are US citizens but were both born in Korea. My uncle in Korea has a friend who has offered me an internship (IT-related, NOT an English teacher job) to work in Korea with the possibility of it becoming full-time work if it goes well. Anyone know what the rules are for gyopos and if they are required to serve in the military? Is there some kind of time period where if I work in Korea longer than that time period, then I'm required to serve in the military?

Korean-Americans (Koreans born in the U.S.) or any other Korean born in another country or land other than one of the two Koreas, are commonly termed as gyopos. This is incorrect, as gyopos are native Koreans who have left their homeland.

You are American. No military service required.

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 03:48:12 pm »
ok thanks for the reply

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 03:57:48 pm »
I'm not well-versed in conscription for gyopos, but there is the question of whether your parents were US or Korean citizens at the time of your birth.  I know this is an issue and it needs exploring.  Supposedly some gyopos have been put on the Korean national family register by grandparents or someone back in Korea without ever being informed of such.

Contact the embassy and also keep an ear out for other gyopos on these forums and elsewhere.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• tesoljon
  • Expert Waygook

• March 13, 2012, 12:16:12 pm
    • Ansan-si
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 07:48:36 am »
OBVIOUS DISCLAIMER: The following is hearsay and I don't know all the details.

My understanding is that a large part of it depends on if you have Korean citizenship and if you want to maintain your citizenship.

A former roommate was raised in the US. If he wanted to maintain his Korean citizenship, he had to fulfill his military service within the regular timeframe. He ultimately decided not fulfill the service requirement and lost his status as a Korean citizen.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 08:22:12 am »
If you are American, you are American. The South Korean government has no control over mandatory military service for foreigners. That would make no sense. Assuming you are over 18 years old, you would have had to chose one. Dual citizenship is not allowed in South Korea, so as long as you chose to be American, the South Korean government has no power to tell you what to do. However, you have to find out about your visa information. If you are on a Gyopo visa, you better see how long you can keep it going and which visa the company is offering.

These kinds of questions are best handled by Immigration. You can call them at 1345.

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 08:48:32 am »
From the US embassy

http://seoul.usembassy.gov/acs_dual.html

In addition, South Korean men over the age of 18, including American citizens of Korean descent, are subject to compulsory military service. A dual national may not be allowed to abandon his ROK nationality until he finishes his military service, or has received a special exemption from military service. There have been several instances in which young American men of Korean descent, who were born and lived all of their lives in the United States, arrived in the ROK for a tourist visit only to find themselves drafted into the South Korean army.

The South Korean government can do what it sees fit within its own territory.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 09:53:02 am »
Dual citizenship is not allowed in South Korea

No, that's wrong. The law changed a few years ago.

Korea DOES now allow dual nationality. I personally know a couple of people who have actually obtained it since the change in the law. Both retained their other nationality.

As far as what the OP asked, I think if you have only US citizenship and no Korean citizenship then you should be perfectly safe from being drafted into military service. After all, thousands of gyopos from various countries come and work here every year, some staying for quite a while, without the Korean military ever showing even the slightest interest in getting their hands on them.

A situation where you might have to be a bit more careful would be if you previously had Korean citizenship, perhaps as a kid and perhaps something you weren't aware of, and it was never properly "renounced" to the Korean authorities' satisfaction.

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 10:00:54 am »
Last Monday was Soldier's Day, and there was a documentary on Korean Americans (Those born in the US or naturalized citizens) and Koreans with green cards who wanted to obtain dual citizenship. In order to get this, they had to serve in the military. I couldn't understand it completely and had to have my girlfriend translate, but I had interest about this since I might have a son someday in Korea. 

If you are an American only (not duel) who just wants to work in a different field, it's completely possible if you are fluent enough in the language and have the right connections. You don't have to serve in the military to do this.