Read 5866 times

All you can eat kicks out 2 overeaters
« on: October 04, 2012, 10:09:15 am »
This makes me think of that Simpsons episode where Homer sues a restaurant for this very thing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/02/banned-from-buffet-dalmon-miles_n_1933097.html?utm_hp_ref=food&ir=Food#slide=1446798

• Jeff619
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2011, 08:12:52 am
Re: All you can eat kicks out 2 overeaters
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 10:35:45 am »
The Chinese restaurants are notorious for that in my hometown.  In high school some friends and I once went to a Chinese buffet and the same thing happened.  We politely argued with the owner that he couldn't kick us out because it's all-you-can eat and that we weren't causing any trouble.  He knew we were in high school and that we weren't supposed to be off campus so he threatened to call the truant officer. 

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 11:39:41 am »
They weren't quite kicked out.  They were banned.

It doesn't sound like they paid and were kicked out part way through their meal.

I'm with the restaurant on this one.  Businesses should be free to protect themselves.  It's not like they broke a contract (which they would have done had they kicked the patrons out part way through a meal).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:46:23 am by justanotherwaygook »
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• taewon
  • Super Waygook

• July 04, 2012, 12:00:38 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 11:57:50 am »
Businesses should have a right to protect, but thats a dangerous road your going down. Banning people-your obese your banned because you will cost so much to feed.
"One year they asked me to be poster boy - for birth control."
Rodney Dangerfield

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

• October 09, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
    more
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 12:11:44 pm »
"All you can eat"

"Unless you eat too much"
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 12:40:26 pm »
Businesses should have a right to protect, but thats a dangerous road your going down. Banning people-your obese your banned because you will cost so much to feed.

That's discrimination against the obese (illegal in the US, at least since it's based on disability).  The article states that these two people were banned because of their history at the restaurant.  They were repeat 'offenders.'

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 01:27:01 pm »
What's the big deal here?  Considering how many buffets are out there and how many people eat there all the time, we RARELY ever hear of anyone getting kicked out or banned for "eating too much". 

If you're getting kicked out or banned, it must mean you're obviously TAKING IT WAY TOO FAR.  All you can eat buffets don't mean you can camp there for a whole day taking 30 minute bathroom breaks and then resuming meals, or bringing plates full of lobster, crab, seafood, sushi and then not eating 50% of it then going back up to get 10 more plates which you are not going to eat.   Those kinds of things are EXCESSIVE and JUSTIFIED for kicking or banning you.

I also hate when people respond CHILDISHLY and say, "But you can't kick us out, it's ALL YOU CAN EAT dude."
Yes they can.  Just because its an all you can eat buffet, doesn't mean you can irresponsibly go wasting food or camping at the restaurant.

It's like saying, "But it's a FREE COUNTRY.  I can do ANYTHING I want."  No, you can't.  Just because it's a free country, it doesn't mean you can do anything.  There are rules, manners, and etiquette. 

Frankly, I'm ALWAYS for restaurants who throw people out of all you can eat buffets because 99% of the time, in these kinds of cases, the restaurant is right and the customers were just PUNKS.

Stuff yourself til you have your fill.  No one will ever bother you at a buffet.  Just don't be stupid and act irresponsibly to get yourself thrown out.  I've never ever come close to getting thrown out or asked to leave for eating too much or staying too long......you'd really have to do something spectacular to warrant such attention and action.

In an empire of lies, telling the truth is treason - Ron Paul

• taewon
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 01:44:08 pm »
Maybe I'm missing somethingJAwaygook. I don't know the details but they said they were eating 5 stirfry bowls and no information about how they conducted themselves .  My point is that theyshouldn't kick someone out for eating all you can eat in a normal manner If this is what happend? It looks like they banned the guys for eating to much(pigs). What I meant with I (should of phrased different)Obese people is people who eat to much can be banned because of the cost to much feed them. They say they are not running a charity, OK- then they would need to put alimit on how much you can eat.  I guess I just disagree with the restaurant. Whats this about repaet offenders ? Offenders for eating so much? Boom your banned? Anyways I enjoyed the pic of the two narly  :laugh:guys holding the stuffed gut . Enjoy your buffets Waygookins
Rodney Dangerfield

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 01:59:33 pm »
The two guys were Gobi regulars, scarfing somewhere in the range of five bowls of stir-fry apiece each time: "Basically they just come in and pig out," a manager, who asked not to be named, explained to The Sun. "We have put up with them for two years but I've had enough."

Also,
He added that, in two years, neither of the pair had tipped or purchased anything other than water and the buffet.

Banning people (once again, they weren't kicked out) doesn't appear to be SOP for this restaurant.  It was a specific case with these 2 individuals.  There doesn't seem to be a need for a limit since other people haven't had an issue.  It was these 2 individuals abusing the system.

• taewon
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 02:08:06 pm »
I looked on the BBC and they were pushing other customers and acting in a rude way so they should be banned. the end ;D
Rodney Dangerfield

• cinamon
  • Super Waygook

• May 18, 2010, 12:15:53 pm
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 02:23:58 pm »
You can easily tell between the ill bred and well bred at a buffet.  Swine should be treated as such.

• MWeb37
  • Super Waygook

• February 11, 2012, 10:24:08 am
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 02:36:50 pm »
This makes me think of that Simpsons episode where Homer sues a restaurant for this very thing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/02/banned-from-buffet-dalmon-miles_n_1933097.html?utm_hp_ref=food&ir=Food#slide=1446798

Lionel Hutz: This is the most blatant case of false advertising since my suit against the movie The Neverending Story.
Homer: So, do you think I have a case?
Lionel Hutz: Mr. Simpson, I don't use the word 'hero' lightly, but you are the greatest hero in American history.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Ahhh.... classic.

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 02:42:33 pm »
I looked on the BBC and they were pushing other customers and acting in a rude way so they should be banned. the end ;D
Huffpost wrote the story in a sensationalist, misleading way as always, finally we get the real story.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• Sannakji
  • Waygookin

• September 18, 2012, 02:05:07 pm
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 02:44:04 pm »
I tried to go to eat dinner at a Mammoths the other day (sometimes go by myself cause my schedule doesn't match up with my mates) and they refused me because it was just me by myself, despite having many empty tables. P***ks! Will not be giving them my business ever again, and will insist on going somewhere else when with friends. I know it won't make any difference on their bottom line, but I won't be giving them my business anymore!!

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 03:21:05 pm »

I'm sorry, this is HI-LAR-IOUS. The photographer was on fire that day.
Nobody loses in this situation.
Restaurant gets press. Heffalumps get a wake-up call

It is one SLOW day on waygook.org though, eh?

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 09:42:31 pm »
Ah, they were banned for pushing other customers and being rude. That's understandable.

Banning them because they only pay for the buffet and never tip?  ::)
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

• Ectofuego
  • Featured Contributor

• November 02, 2010, 09:21:10 am
    • Mars
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 11:56:41 am »
Interesting read, thanks for the post.   Good times..

Companies have a right to allow or not allow people into their store as long as they are not discrimination based on color, creed, religion, etc. 
I'm Jason and I approve this message!

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 11:16:01 pm »
They also have hard liquor all-you-can-drinks, intelligently limited to one and a half hours in duration.

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 01:48:47 pm »
When I went to school in Amsterdam, there was a Chinese restaurant across the street from our school (on the main road, actually if anyone's been) that had a big sign that read something like "All you can eat---in about two hours".   I remember using that 2 hours quite efficiently a couple of times. 

• TheWB18
  • Expert Waygook

• October 27, 2011, 07:51:30 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 02:04:35 pm »
They also have hard liquor all-you-can-drinks, intelligently limited to one and a half hours in duration.

Whaaaaat?

Where? This sounds amazing. All-you-can-drink liquor > all-you-can-eat Mongolian food.