Read 3428 times

Reputable health insurer required – transferring to a D10 visa.
« on: September 23, 2012, 09:02:22 am »
Does anyone know of a reputable health insurer than can provide health insurance to a foreigner who won’t be employed whilst living in South Korea - potentially for the next 5 to 6 months.

I am leaving my hagwon six months into a twelve month contract.  My employer tells me there will be a part refund of the insurance premiums paid by both myself and the hagwon around the beginning of my contract.

I plan to transfer to the D10 visa in the very near future and will potentially need insurance for up to 5-6 months.  From previous experience, insurance companies from my home country are unwilling to provide “travel insurance” to people who have already commenced their travel.

If for some reason my D10 visa application is not approved, I will come back to Korea on a tourist visa.

What options do I have available?
"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."  Steve Jobs

Re: Reputable health insurer required – transferring to a D10 visa.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 11:52:32 am »
It costs 82,400 per month for an unemployed person (no income) to enroll in the NHIC (probably the same insurance you have now). Just go to your local insurance office to sign up. You must have an ARC though. This will not be an option if you return on a tourist visa.

If you're interested in private insurance, there are countless options available at varying price points and levels of coverage.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 11:57:05 am by steveperry »

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 06:11:00 am »
Go with the national health insurance. Most private insurances cover specific things (e.g. work related accidents) and the general coverage is more expensive than NHI.

OK.  Thanks very much to both responses.

The National Health Insurance seems the way to go.  My hagwon (which I will be finishing up with tomorrow) set me up with a private insurer.  Is it easy to transfer to the National Health Insurance?  If so, how do it do it? Website? Telephone?
"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."  Steve Jobs

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 11:38:24 am »
I just telephoned the National Health Insurance Corporation.  They told me that their insurance scheme is not available to people on the D10 visa.  They said it was only available to people who were employed.

StevePerry

Is your post above referring to something other than the D10 visa or some other scheme?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 11:58:16 am by marshmellow man »

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 12:23:11 pm »
I was on the NHIC for several months while I was unemployed, but I was on an F-2 not a D-10. If they told you that only employed people can get insurance, I know that that is definitely false. They may have some restriction against insuring people on the D-10, but I've never heard of it.

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 12:43:48 pm »
I was on the NHIC for several months while I was unemployed, but I was on an F-2 not a D-10. If they told you that only employed people can get insurance, I know that that is definitely false. They may have some restriction against insuring people on the D-10, but I've never heard of it.

OK. Thanks. I will investigate further.

Your post has made me think of another issue.  That is, what visa's are available apart from the D 10.  Maybe I should be looking at something else.

Marshie

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 07:49:56 pm »
Thanks.

It is astonishing to find out how some of these hagwons will treat their people.  Everything I signed was in Korean, so I trusted my employer to sign me up to something appropriate. 

I'm not sure I have time to get onto NHI but I will try it.   If not, I will probably try and get some travel insurance until I can buy something appropriate.

The advice is much appreciated.
Marshie.

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 08:13:26 am »
Do you actually plan on staying here on the D10 visa for 5-6 months?

Yes, that's correct.  If I can't get onto the NHI scheme (whilst I am still on the E2 visa) I will still need the details of a reputable private health insurer who will provide a comprehensive medical cover. 

Can anyone please let me know of a reputable private insurer for medical insurance as I may need to move on to this by today.   Otherwise, I will be buying some rather expensive travel insurance from back home.

Marshie.