Read 1058 times

Anyone dealt with suicide problems at school?
« on: September 21, 2012, 01:06:19 pm »
Although I've been in Korea for two years now, it is my first time teaching at a public school. I understand that suicide is a big problem in Korea and I am worried I might have to experience the situation if I am to stay in Korea any longer.

If you have experienced a student committing suicide, how did you deal with the fact afterwards?

Re: Anyone dealt with suicide problems at school?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 03:18:00 pm »
Yes... It's hard but I try to talk about bullying with my students and the stresses of school with them and try to talk with them as much as I can with the language barrier.

• kjmerri2
  • Adventurer

• November 25, 2011, 08:01:33 am
    • Incheon
Re: Anyone dealt with suicide problems at school?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 03:42:45 pm »
I've been at my school for 3 years now.  One of our freshman committed suicide early on in this school year.  My students are mostly lower-scoring/ low income students.  Many of them also have difficult family situations.  This particular student had divorced parents (still a very taboo situation in Korea).  He also had absolutely no desire to be at our school, a fact the teachers here learned after his death.  Our school is a tech high school, but this student really wanted to go to university.  From what I understand, his father forced him to come to our school for whatever reasons he may have had.  I was sad, because some of our kids do go on to university.  Not all become sailors.   

There wasn't much I could do.  My students come from all over the country, so they really hadn't been with each other but for a few weeks.  They didn't know each other well enough to feel that they'd lost a good friend.  However, I'm sure they were saddened by it, if not only because many of them are under similar pressures. 

Like the previous poster said, I try to deal with bullying as much as possible.  I've struggled with my 2nd graders quite a bit this year.  I realize they all have their issues, and I try to understand as best I can.  I also try and make my lessons positive and uplifting.  Talking about heavy/ serious topics in a language they don't fully understand only seemed to stress them out more (rather than give them an outlet, like I'd intended.) 

Be fair, encouraging, and open.  My kids seem to respond to that more than anything.  If you see problems between students, deal with it, even when you can't.  I drag them out of the room if I have to - and I have had to.  I hand them to a teacher I trust can/ will deal with it.  Then, I talk to them after to smooth over the situation and show them that I do care what happens to them.