Read 2363 times

• anigerla
  • Adventurer

• September 02, 2010, 08:25:18 pm
    • South Korea
Transferring schools - how does the current school react?
« on: January 29, 2011, 10:09:13 pm »
I like my current school and would have stayed but I want to live in a big city so I am going to re - apply for another location. I will have to notify them to ask for recommendation letter. Does anyone have an experience - how does the school react about you wanting to leave? Are they professional about it and help out? Has anyone changed mind/was unsuccessful and thus stayed with the school? How were the relations after?

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• February 01, 2010, 01:36:20 pm
Re: Transferring schools - how does the current school react?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 04:40:11 am »
I like my current school and would have stayed but I want to live in a big city so I am going to re - apply for another location. I will have to notify them to ask for recommendation letter. Does anyone have an experience - how does the school react about you wanting to leave? Are they professional about it and help out? Has anyone changed mind/was unsuccessful and thus stayed with the school? How were the relations after?

it really depends if they like you or not. some don't care, some do to a moderate degree, some might see it as a slap in the face. only you can really ascertain this; think about how the school treated you.

your main concern should be your co-teacher(s).

if it's any consolation, if you switch, you'll probably never have to deal with the school again.
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

• aldalpre
  • Adventurer

• September 01, 2010, 07:38:08 pm
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 09:56:44 am »
I'm in the same boat, sort of. Instead of transferring to another city, though, I'd like to transfer from elementary to high school. (This would be at the end of my first contract.)

It's not that I don't like my school or enjoy teaching elementary. I'm thinking about a career as a high school English teacher back home, and the experience as an elementary EFL teacher really doesn't translate as well. I get along quite well with all of the teachers and, although the admin is quite strict, I think I'm on pretty good terms with them. If I explain that I want to teach high school, do you think this would be a valid enough reason?

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 10:16:04 am »
I have a great relationship with the teachers at my school, but like aldaopre, I wanted to switch from elementary school to a high school.

The teachers and principle have been great about it. The worst I've experienced is some guilt tripping. I think, if the school likes you, they will help you out, because they like you, and want to help! If the school doesn't like you, then they should be happy to see you go, right?

I do think an excuse is very important, though. Saying "I love this school, but I really want to teach at a high school" creates a no-fault break up. (especially if you career goal is to teach at a high school!)

Just a guess, but "I love this school, but I really want to teach in a big city" might not go over as well, since the teachers don't have the same freedom to transfer as we do. If anyone is thinking of taking this route, perhaps stress not the big city, but the network of foreigners you can find there.

• BBetz1985
  • Veteran

• May 10, 2010, 02:07:45 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 10:21:37 am »
See if there is any way to help them with the selection of a new native teacher. Especially with your co/head teacher as they are the ones giving recommendation or selecting the new teacher. The more helpful you are the more helpful they will be.

Also buttering them up in the last couple of months doesnt hurt.

• AC_in_Korea
  • Super Waygook

• July 30, 2010, 11:25:33 am
    • Miryang, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 10:32:27 am »
If you have already given notice of leaving, you can ask for a general letter of reference.  They don't need to know that you are applying at another school - you can just say that it is usualy to get a letter of reference from the place of employment, in case you want to teach in another place.

I am not staying at my current school - and although I plan on leaving Korea, there is a possibility of me coming back.  I have already gotten letters of reference from my coteacher and the principal of the school, for future reference.

Best of luck!
Be the change you want to see in the world.