Read 13750 times

• bb
  • Super Waygook

• October 20, 2010, 08:19:17 am
    • korea
Affidavit of eligibility to marry_ Korean translation
« on: September 17, 2012, 10:28:02 am »
If you're an American citizen marrying a Korean citizen you'll need this embassy document translated when you go to the local office in Korea to file your marraige paperwork.

It's rather informal and doesn't require any formal verification so I'm uploading mine for others to use.

No promises that it's totally mistake free but it's been edited by a native speaker.

When submitting this, you'll need to include the contact info for the translator. Just use your Korean spouse's or the janitor's or whoever^^

Congatulations.

• bb
  • Super Waygook

• October 20, 2010, 08:19:17 am
    • korea
Re: Affidavit of eligibility to marry_ Korean translation
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 10:35:29 am »
Oh yeah, here's the original US document. Barring any unusual circumstances, this and your U.S. passport are the only things you'll need at the US embassy.

• toddc06
  • Super Waygook

• April 28, 2011, 10:37:54 am
    • Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 01:13:20 pm »
Thank you for that!  and congratulations!

• izus
  • Adventurer

• September 07, 2010, 08:10:07 am
    • Daegu, KR
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 10:37:23 am »
Here's a PDF of the translation that my wife did.  We used bb's document for help.  Thanks bb.

• swoozle
  • Newgookin

• May 03, 2015, 05:03:38 am
    • Seattle
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 08:31:40 pm »
The form has changed. Both Bride and Groom are on one form (among other things). Here's an up to date korean translation.

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 04:35:23 pm »
By chance do you have the changed English version, too?
"Base eight is just like base ten really, if you're missing two fingers." -Tom Lehrer

• Tim811
  • Waygookin

• December 20, 2012, 12:34:17 pm
    • Sejong-si
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 12:55:51 pm »
By chance do you have the changed English version, too?

I would also be interested in looking at that.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 03:02:47 pm »
EDIT:  Within four weeks of posting this blank form, I found the embassy has replaced it yet again with another form.  However, the "new" form is essentially the same as the one I attached from February.  The content is identical, just the format and layout of the form changed slightly.  Sorry, but I don't have a blank version of it.
----
EDIT:  Demonstrating that the "new" form is the same content-wise, the Korean translation posted in this thread by another user is still correct, we checked it word-for-word.
----

I obtained a copy of this document last week at the US Embassy.  I've scanned it and attached it as a PDF file.

To confirm what another poster recently said here, if you have been divorced in the USA, the embassy does not want those documents, nor indeed any information at all, as you can see from the form.  All you are swearing is that you are eligible to marry.  I specifically asked this question, and it was clear because the reason I was at the embassy was to get my divorce papers notarized.  She said when I come back, all I need to do is fill out that form and swear in front of her.

I next went around the corner to the Jongno-gu Office and got the documents to register a marriage in Korea.  Again, I specifically asked what information or documents they needed in the case of someone who was divorced.  They only wanted the Eligibility Affidavit from the embassy (*).  They did NOT want the US divorce documents.  On the marriage registration form, there is a place where you should enter the date of a divorce (or death) of a previous spouse. 

(*) I didn't think to confirm whether translated or not.  I've read that usually you need the affidavit translated into Korean, but I've read that specifically at the Jungno-go Office International Marriage Desk they accept it in English.

-Chris
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 05:14:58 pm by SeoulBigChris »
"Base eight is just like base ten really, if you're missing two fingers." -Tom Lehrer

• laurensohee
  • Explorer

• January 25, 2018, 11:04:03 am
    • Goseong-gun, Gyeongsangnam-do
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 10:42:07 am »
The form has changed. Both Bride and Groom are on one form (among other things). Here's an up to date korean translation.

Thank you so much

• buckybee
  • Veteran

• August 30, 2015, 02:36:08 pm
    • Daejeon
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2021, 12:14:12 pm »
This may be a dumb question but I wanted to be sure. The part where it says permanent address, it can be a Korean address correct? Or does it have to be my American address? 

• starryella
  • Veteran

• November 07, 2019, 04:29:39 pm
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 10:14:48 am »
This may be a dumb question but I wanted to be sure. The part where it says permanent address, it can be a Korean address correct? Or does it have to be my American address?

Buckybee, I believe I had the same question, and I personally put my Korean address as I no longer have a US address. But I'm looking at the form here and it just says "address" not "permanent address."

If you want to double check, you can leave it blank for now and ask at the embassy. I believe I asked about that too and wrote it in while there. It was not a problem. They let me go to fill whatever I needed to out and then come back to the counter attendant when I was done to complete the process. It was very comfortable/easy.

I didn't use the forms from here so I can't verify they are still current. My husband searched online and found the translated form for us.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 10:27:36 am by starryella »

• buckybee
  • Veteran

• Daejeon
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2021, 02:56:05 pm »
Thanks for the information! I really appreciate it. It seems I should wait to fill the forms out. However, I do have another question, does the Korean copy have to be notarized too?

• starryella
  • Veteran

• November 07, 2019, 04:29:39 pm
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2021, 08:55:57 am »
Thanks for the information! I really appreciate it. It seems I should wait to fill the forms out. However, I do have another question, does the Korean copy have to be notarized too?

Notarized by the US embassy? I followed these instructions from the embassy site:
https://kr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/getting-married/

I recommend if you have any uncertainties, you can either call the embassy directly to clarify, or simply take the Korean copy with you and ask them if you need it.

A note about your name: I can't recall what order the embassy wanted me to write my name on that document. I think I waited and asked there. And we ran into the same question on the actual marriage paperwork at the gu office. The order we had to write my name on the gu marriage application paperwork was "Surname, First name, Middle name." Again, ask the agent at the gu office for confirmation.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 09:13:24 am by starryella »

• buckybee
  • Veteran

• Daejeon
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2021, 10:17:51 am »
Thanks for letting me know. I read the steps on the embassy site before but I was just confused about the translation part. I knew it didn't have to be officially translated but I was thinking I would need to have the translation notarized too because it would be the official document for the local gu-office. Thanks for clearing up the confusion and I'll call the embassy if I have more questions.   ;D