Read 1381 times

• drkhv7
  • Adventurer

• June 29, 2009, 10:43:39 am
    • Hampyeong, Jeollanam-Do`
University gigs
« on: January 27, 2011, 09:40:13 am »
Hi, does anyone have advice for how I can land a univ gig for next (Fall 2011) semester?  I have 3 years of public school experience (all 3 levels) and I'm currently in the middle of an M.Ed TESOL program.  Does anyone know of a university which looks kindly upon people like me who haven't yet finished their Master's?  Can anyone recommend a uni to me?

I think that networking and doing a TESL/TEFL 100+hr course would probably help me to land a the job I'm looking for (quality school w/a good reputation for their treatment of foreign staff and 8+wks of vacation), but I really don't know.  Do you have any other recommendations (I won't have time for a CELTA)?  Pay/salary is not a major issue for me.

I'd like to be immersed in a univ environment again and hope to enjoy the perks of the vacation and freedom associated with many uni gigs (though I realize this does not apply to all of them).

Please PM me if you have any suggestions, recommendations, etc. 
Thanks!

• ano33
  • Adventurer

• March 09, 2010, 12:13:32 pm
    • Korea
Re: University gigs
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 09:54:44 am »
My advice....apply.  i have 5 friends teaching in uni's and none of them are even remotely as qualified as you.  As you already know from teaching in the public schools, the Korean government isn't opposed to filling NET positions with underqualified applicants.  While Uni's will be a bit more selective, they won't wait around for a foreign teacher with the perfect qualifications.  If you are personable, have a good attitude, dress well and have a solid teaching phylosophy, you should find a gig no problem.

• drkhv7
  • Adventurer

• June 29, 2009, 10:43:39 am
    • Hampyeong, Jeollanam-Do`
Re: University gigs
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 11:27:18 am »
Yes, you're right.  Does anyone know of a reliable place to find uni job  postings?  Does KOTESOL or any other organization advertise?  Or is this mostly an eslcafe.com and word of mouth thing.  Any other reliable websites besides eslcafe.com? Thanks!