Read 7710 times

• SpaceRook
  • Expert Waygook

• November 18, 2010, 11:54:36 am
    • South Korea
Re: The thing that burns me up the most
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 08:32:22 pm »
You're a better man than I. 

I can deal with everything else.  Getting pushed, being stared at walking down the street, the spitting etc.  I love Korea, the rest of that just rolls off my back.

But for some reason sitting down to a meal with my family and having people sit there with their jaws hanging open like idiot children makes me nuts.

Where does this happen?  Maybe I live too close to Seoul, but I don't ever recall being stared at.  And I am pretty observant of people around me.

I guess my pet peeve is when the cashier at Dunkin Donuts sees me walk in the door, then runs to get his friend to replace him, because "americano copy, choo-seyo" is just too difficult to understand.

People giggling like idiots when you use Korean is annoying, too.  Silly me.  I imagined that I could learn the language and just use it like a normal person.  Isn't that the way it happens in most countries?  I've never been to France or Germany or Spain, but if you speak some of those languages and are understandable, don't people just accept it?  The greatest compliment you can pay to someone speaking a foreign language is to treat them like a normal speaker.

• 0mnslnd
  • Expert Waygook

• June 03, 2011, 08:10:01 am
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 12:04:46 am »
Yeah, I see this kind of post quite often on this site. Just with a different title every time. You can go and look at previous posts, they're all there. "What annoys you when talking with Koreans." "How could I possibly be that interesting?" "Kimpap Nara Ajumma decides what I can and cannot eat." And this one, "The thing that burns me up the most." I see this pattern very often, and like I said before, nothing surprises me anymore.
Soon there will probably be a new thread, something like "Why am I treated like an alien from outer space when I eat lunch with my coworkers or walk in the street. It would have the same post, replies, comments, etc. like in every other thread of this sort.

My advice response is: there is nothing you can do. It's gonna be like that as long as you live in Korea.
And when you are finally long enough here to start thinking back nostalgically  about the  time you were treated like a normal person....? it's a rhetorical question.

Out. Never been happier

• JahRhythm
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• May 25, 2011, 12:49:41 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 06:02:19 am »
You're a better man than I. 

I can deal with everything else.  Getting pushed, being stared at walking down the street, the spitting etc.  I love Korea, the rest of that just rolls off my back.

But for some reason sitting down to a meal with my family and having people sit there with their jaws hanging open like idiot children makes me nuts.

Where does this happen?  Maybe I live too close to Seoul, but I don't ever recall being stared at.  And I am pretty observant of people around me.

I guess my pet peeve is when the cashier at Dunkin Donuts sees me walk in the door, then runs to get his friend to replace him, because "americano copy, choo-seyo" is just too difficult to understand.

People giggling like idiots when you use Korean is annoying, too.
Silly me.  I imagined that I could learn the language and just use it like a normal person.  Isn't that the way it happens in most countries?  I've never been to France or Germany or Spain, but if you speak some of those languages and are understandable, don't people just accept it?  The greatest compliment you can pay to someone speaking a foreign language is to treat them like a normal speaker.

The longer I'm here the less I care about many things.
This one still gets me.
Especially since that kid at DD's probably has 10 years of English "learning" behind him.  :o
We teach EFL not ESL. Hagwon and "Private School" are not synonymous. Not everyone works in either a hagwon or public school. Immigration Question? Call 1345.

• rocketeerjoe
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2012, 07:52:35 am
    • Jinhae, South Korea
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2012, 11:04:03 am »
There are a number of cultures that regard eye contact as disrespectful, including Native Americans that I've met. Not all cultures view it the same way.
"If you want to change your direction. If your time of life is at hand. Well, then don't be the rule, be the exception. A good place to start is to stand. Just put one foot in front of the other." - Rankin Bass Santa Claus

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 12:02:39 pm »

People giggling like idiots when you use Korean is annoying, too.  Silly me.  I imagined that I could learn the language and just use it like a normal person.  Isn't that the way it happens in most countries?  I've never been to France or Germany or Spain, but if you speak some of those languages and are understandable, don't people just accept it?  The greatest compliment you can pay to someone speaking a foreign language is to treat them like a normal speaker.

I totally understand you and even though I've been here a while and my Korean is pretty decent, I too have my days when this kinda thing really pisses me off.

Comparisons with the likes of France or Spain etc. are apples/oranges comparisons that don't mean much. Of course, the same thing won't happen to you in those countries as a non-native speaker of the language. But if French/Spanish were languages spoken in only one small country in one far off small corner of the world and studied by next no-one as a foreign language, if France/Spain received a fraction of what they do in terms of foreign tourism and if they were able to instantly recognise with 99.99% certainty from someone's appearance that they were not a native speaker of the language, then things would very probably be different.

FWIW, I lived in Japan before and the giggling teenager behind the coffee shop/convenience store counter is very much a phenomenon there, if anything, slightly more than in Korea in my experience.

Something else I'd have to say, to be fair, is that there are a lot of waygooks around who think their Korean pronunciation is perfectly correct and intelligible, but are actually very mistaken. Just like the same happens the other way with a lot of Koreans' mistaken confidence in their English pronunciation. Not that I'm saying that's an acceptable excuse for store clerk giggling before you even opened your mouth.

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 02:59:39 pm »
Yeah, I see this kind of post quite often on this site. Just with a different title every time. You can go and look at previous posts, they're all there. "What annoys you when talking with Koreans." "How could I possibly be that interesting?" "Kimpap Nara Ajumma decides what I can and cannot eat." And this one, "The thing that burns me up the most." I see this pattern very often, and like I said before, nothing surprises me anymore.
Soon there will probably be a new thread, something like "Why am I treated like an alien from outer space when I eat lunch with my coworkers or walk in the street. It would have the same post, replies, comments, etc. like in every other thread of this sort.

My advice response is: there is nothing you can do. It's gonna be like that as long as you live in Korea.
And when you are finally long enough here to start thinking back nostalgically  about the  time you were treated like a normal person....? it's a rhetorical question.

This is exactly what I think. Every day there seems a new post on this subject. "I am in a different country. Things are different. I don't like it"
I understand people need to vent and i suppose message boards are the perfect world for that but DAMN, there are some really precious people in this country.

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• July 15, 2012, 03:48:16 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2012, 07:14:28 am »

This is exactly what I think. Every day there seems a new post on this subject. "I am in a different country. Things are different. I don't like it"
I understand people need to vent and i suppose message boards are the perfect world for that but DAMN, there are some really precious people in this country.

It happens where ever there are expats, not just Korea. The irony in your post is quite funny  ;D
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.