Read 1791 times

• lee233
  • Super Waygook

• August 31, 2012, 09:53:46 am
    • Korea
    more
Bath house Etiquette
« on: September 03, 2012, 10:12:29 am »
Hey folks, I am quite new to this country, I arrived on August 19th, and there are many things here that I am trying to adapt to. While I am learning my way around I am trying my best not to be rude, but unfortunately since some things here are so different from home I don't think that I can help but to offend while I am learning whats up. My question today has to do with the bath houses. Is there a required regiment once you are in the bath house? I went to my first on Saturday and I did the rinsing and such before I got in the baths, but is there a certain order you have to follow afterwards? Are we supposed to do the sauna then baths, vice versa, or free for all? I'm asking this because I felt like my companions and I were getting the stink eye from the other men in there. Oh, and we were not talking loud or being obnoxious, so I doubt that would have been the reason the glares.
If wishes were horses beggars would ride

Re: Bath house Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 10:25:12 am »
The stink eye could also be attributed to A: That's just the way their face is or B: You're a foreigner.

• lee233
  • Super Waygook

• August 31, 2012, 09:53:46 am
    • Korea
    more
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 10:45:25 am »
Yeah, I was kind of thinking that your two suggestions might be the reason, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't some sort of routine you have to go through.
If wishes were horses beggars would ride

• JahRhythm
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• May 25, 2011, 12:49:41 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 10:55:07 am »
Before going in the baths you need to do a thorough cleaning not just a rinse.
Lathered up, scrubbing, nooks and crannies, the lot. Really take some time.
After in bath, then go in sauna, then rinse off after before returning to bath.
Koreans aren't as picky as the Japanese (in my experience) but just be smart.
Don't get all sweaty in the sauna and go jump in the bath.
I've never got the stink eye so much as the curious or awkward eye.
We teach EFL not ESL. Hagwon and "Private School" are not synonymous. Not everyone works in either a hagwon or public school. Immigration Question? Call 1345.

• Harpoinseoul
  • Expert Waygook

• March 23, 2011, 06:49:03 pm
    • Coquitlam, BC
    more
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 12:10:51 pm »
I usually go directly into the sauna for a while. Come out and take a shower and wash up. Then into the tubs. The main thing to remember is this: If you sweat in the sauna, you must shower off prior to going into the tubs. Once the scrubbing in the shower has been accomplished, some people simply come out of a hot sauna and splash a couple of pots of cold water over their heads. That seems to be acceptable as well. Kudos to you for doing the sauna so soon. I didn't know about it until I had been here a couple of months.
Skype Video Counselor in Coquitlam, BC

Make the best use of what's in your power; take the rest as it comes.

The thing that upsets people is not what happens; but what they think it means.

Epictetus (55 - 135 C.E.)

Inter-faith spiritual counselor
http://www.harpo.ca