Read 3116 times

Gap between 1st and 2nd contract
« on: September 01, 2012, 10:27:30 pm »
I was just wondering how much time do I have from the end of my first contract until I have to sign a second contract.

I found a hagwon that starts at the end of October.  I was hoping to just do this so I can go to Korea ASAP rather than wait six months till Feb/March hiring cycle for public schools.  So next year after completing my contract and while I am in Korea can I wait for feb/march to do the interview/hiring process in Korea?  Or would I have to leave?

Thanks

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
Re: Gap between 1st and 2nd contract
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 11:01:22 pm »
it depends on your visa. where are you working now? when does your visa end? your could potentially do visa runs to Japan... but I don't have much experience in that field.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 11:21:21 pm »
It depends on the school and if they are willing to risk sending you to Japan for a visa run.  I'd check the date on your ARC first and make sure you have enough time before you consider taking the new job.  A visa run is a very quick thing and they will try to send you over and get it done within a day or two so the school doesn't lose your services for too long.  There isn't much room for error when conducting a visa run, so you have to have everything together before you go.  Also,  if you do not have enough time on your ARC to avoid getting a visa run for the new job, you may have to work illegally for a while and pay some expenses out of your own pocket if your boss won't help you.  So, I'd make sure you have at least two month's worth of money saved up, because you never know what will happen if you randomly get sick or need to pay money for something to help you get settled in your new apartment.

Plus, check to see what the regional rules are for the area you live in.  I've been reading around and the rules regarding how you switch schools are changing in some parts of Korea.

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 11:43:00 pm »
I'm sorry I think I wrote my situation extremely poorly.
Next year I meant "next academic year after I complete my contract".
2013 feb I do not plan to break my contract.  I plan to work for the whole year till next year Oct when my contract ends.  However public/uni schools (i heard) don't hire until feb/march which will mean from the end of my contract in oct till the hypothetical date of signing a new contract which would be in feb there is a gap of 4~5months.  So I was wondering if after I complete one contract how long can I stay in Korea to find a new job without needing to leave, submit new documents, and all that jazz.  I am aware of a D-10 but I don't think I qualify. 

Sorry again!

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 12:47:46 am »
I heard that D-10 wasn't offered to people who were looking for English teaching jobs. 
However even if I can I think a short term contract would be a better fit.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 03:15:34 pm »
So with the D10 is the letter of release not even a thing anymore?  Is there no incentive to remaining the entire term of an unhappy contract other than the severence?   How long does it last?  can i travel into and out of the country with one?   Does anyone that got one of these remember if you kept your ARC or not?

thanks in advance.

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 08:22:11 pm »
Sorry to burst your bubble but even with D-10 you still need a letter of release .... IF

Yep there is an if, you do not need a LOR if your contract is finished.   So now a days with the 13 month LOR you have a little time between contract of 12 month to get the D-10.

If you do leave a contract early, you will need a LOR to transfer E-2 or to get the D-10.  Even then immigration can refuse you if they feel your are jumping around to much.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

• JahRhythm
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• May 25, 2011, 12:49:41 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 10:13:49 pm »
Call immigration at 1345 and ask them.
We teach EFL not ESL. Hagwon and "Private School" are not synonymous. Not everyone works in either a hagwon or public school. Immigration Question? Call 1345.

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 06:54:54 pm »
fyi called the immigration number:

D-10 lasts for 6 months.
You can travel into and out of the country with it.
You get a new ARC card but you keep your old number (maybe this prevents your bank from disabling your online access?)

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 01:11:10 am »
Oh this is great news.

Thanks for doing the "dirty work"

Sorry, but I really appreciate it!