Read 4571 times

Volleyball Stories
« on: September 01, 2012, 01:12:44 pm »
Some public school teachers play volleyball weekly with their co-teachers. If you are halfway decent I highly recommend playing. It is a good way to get the non-English speaking teachers to be more comfortable with you. I am not the best player out there but I can hold my own and my team finds it hilarious when I make mistakes. 

I was wondering if anyone has any stories. Here is mine.

I can be a rather competitive person. I am friendly before and after the game but during the game I am pretty focused and probably a little too intense sometimes. Anyway, I am on the vice principal's team and the principal's team has the resident older volleyball expert. Neither principal actually plays. As we were playing last week, a player on the other team bumped the ball straight into the net  then he bumped it again to another player who then hit it over the net. To be clear, he hit the ball twice in a row with only the net hitting the ball between. Neither hit was a block or set and everyone clearly saw it was two hits. Everyone continued playing like that was totally normal. After the point was over I pointed out he hit the ball twice in a row. The other team's "expert" told me that was ok and called it a net point. I had seen this play happen before at our school but I always just let it go. This time it really got to me because they had won several weeks in a row (one of our best players messed up his knee). I asked why it was ok to hit the ball twice. He said if it hits the net it's ok to hit it again. I kind of went off and sarcastically asked him in broken Konglish if it was ok to hit the ball 10 times in a row if it hit the net between(I was also jerking on the net the whole time to mime the ball bouncing off it). He said you could hit the ball 4 times if it hit the net between. His team thought it was hilarious (anything I do out of the ordinary is hilarious) that the waygook was being smart to him and my team all had smirks on their face. Anyway, everyone just kind of said "Yeah, he is right," so I let it go until after the game. After we won the game, (and I served some wicked aces into the "expert's" face) I asked one of the Korean-English teachers to explain the rule further. He nicely tried to explain it to me then told me to research the rule further because it was international rules and maybe they didn't play that way in America.

I have researched the rule in the official international volleyball rules,  asked my uncle who has been playing volleyball for 50 years, and my wife asked the PE teacher at her school. Everyone agrees you can't bump the ball twice in a row.

After the game I told the "expert" sorry for yelling at him and he smiled big, said no no no ok and grabbed my hand.

I won't tell anyone this week how wrong they are because one volleyball rule isn't worth getting anyone pissed at me, but if they ask me if I found the rule I will ask them to show me the rule in the book. They won't find it :)

Re: Volleyball Stories
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 03:02:55 pm »
We play it that way in my school too, I wouldn't sweat it. Their house, their rules....
Nullius in Verba

• glb0b
  • Expert Waygook

• July 06, 2010, 03:02:56 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 03:48:23 pm »
That is how it is usually played here in the schools. It is called net play. We usually play it this way at my volleyball club and at school on Wednesdays. It is usually played so that it adds another touch permitted to your team taking it to 5 touches (block, 3 plays plus net play). I don't play volleyball back home so I have no idea if it is standard or not.

However, when we have a tournament net play is usually not allowed. For the past couple of years, it was just not allowed to have the extra touch. Last year they also added the fact that the same player is not allowed to touch it before and after it hits the net.

They also play with 9 players instead of 6 here (at least in my school district), so they don't play standard volleyball anyway.

• Squire
  • Super Waygook

• March 01, 2011, 02:11:36 pm
    • Yeosu
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 11:14:11 pm »
The most memorable moments for me are smashing it straight into the face/head of someone on the other team. It's especially good when it's a really un-athletic girl who puts no effort in

Also the first time I play with a new group I always accidentally knee somebody. It happened to an ajossi on the other team when I first played volleyball at my first school, then when I played with my new school this year the same thing happened, and when I played with a team for the first time I put a knee into the back of a team mate. I can't believe it happened every time

I feel like at our volleyball club you can't hit the ball twice after it's hit the net, but I can't remember exactly. At school anything goes

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 03:39:11 pm »
blocking the gym teacher's spike (former national player, supposedly) ((only happened once))  :D
accidentally hitting my own teammate in the testies o.O
being asked not to play for the tournament :(
leaving tournament early and going home to nap :D

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 09:30:45 pm »
As others have said, their house their rules.  Don't get upset about it, it's just a game.  And the game that matters to you is the social one, and you're winning just by showing up.  Don't ruin it by being overly competitive. 

I think I wrote about this somewhere else on here, but here's my Vball story.  I started at my new school a year ago and immediately joined the Vball team when asked on the first night out.  All the male teachers, along with guys from the 'hood play.  I'm no superstar, but I played in high school and unlike most other sports I can hold my own.  We had fun, no problems for the first semester.  Then in May we went to a tournament at another school.  Suddenly a few other teachers wanted to join (to get brownie points, I'm sure).  Most of them were young female teachers which is fine except I don't see the point in playing if you run away from the ball anytime it comes near you.  We were a pretty good team, and I wasn't taking my own advice when I suggested not being too competitive.  But fine, we all tried to help them out in practice.

Then the game came.  I was put in the back row of a 9 man court.  After 9 months with them I was put at the backline behind ajummas who screamed when the ball came in their general direction.  Fine, I know the social ladder here.  Our first game (against the home team) I started the serve, my specialty.  Not to brag too much, but I got 5 aces in a row.  The ref declared them invalid because the other team "wasn't ready".  One serve, ok, two...uh-huh.  Five?  So I do it again, get 3 points in a row.  Again, DQed because their principal wasn't watching.  That's 8 points.  Finally, my serve was returned for their point.  My team shakes their head at me! 

The whole game was a farce, we got something like 5 net violations while they were allowed to hit the ball 4 times on some plays.  But the worst of it was the fact that my own team turned on me.  I do like Korea, but this exact thing happened at my last school, too.  Their guy spiked it, I dove for it and it went off my arm and out.  Our gym teacher came over and demonstrated proper bumping technique to me in front of our whole cheering crew, like I was an idiot.  Meanwhile the whole team beside me and the ladies (again, no disrespect) went for the hail mary block while we played our positions.  I was essentially covering the whole court because these guys are 5'-nothing and going to block while my 6' frame is stuck in the back.  After that I was told not to touch the ball anymore.  Literally. 

Naturally I felt a bit let down.  I took a few weeks off from playing with the guys, and the next time I went I again played alright (I'm no...uh, whoever a famous Vball player is).  Soon the gym teacher drew an imaginary square on the back corner and told me not to leave it.  We had 5 guys on the court and this box was about 3x3 tight against the back corner.  I actually passive-aggressively stood there for a while but two plays later the ball came right at me.  When I went to make an easy bump another overzealous young teacher literally smashed into me from the side.  I have probably 100 lbs on him, but it knocked me clean out because why on Earth would I expect someone to tackle me on an easy play in a Vball game?  I haven't played since. 

TL;DR: You shouldn't allow yourself to become too competitive, but at the same time Koreans (esp. young Koreans) are hyper-competitive.  No matter what, they will try to show you up and embarrass you.  You will never win.  I liked playing Vball just for the fun of it, and to be part of my school.  They made that impossible.  I'm not macho, but I do have a level of self-respect.  Stretching the rules is a Korean tradition, but when (if?) it gets to the point of personal insult just leave.  And if you play with younger guys, it will absolutely get to that point. 

• poppy
  • Veteran

• May 07, 2010, 12:33:32 pm
    • Daejeon
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 07:41:48 am »
I was really excited when I found out the teachers at my school played volleyball every week.  I love volleyball and I used to play in a league at home.  I don't consider myself a great player but I am not terrible either.  I quickly found out that the volleyball games at this school are for the men only.  Sure, we women teachers can come and play but we have to stand in the back row and can touch the ball only when it is our time to serve.  Even if the ball comes directly to us we can expect one of the men will jump in our path and take it.   After spending 2 hours every week standing in the corner bored to tears I finally stopped going.  Oh, and it got a little nauseating watching the Principal break all the rules and the other teachers just look the other way or cheer like he was an Olympian every time he touched the ball.

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 07:58:03 am »
I know enough Korean to be able to tell when my principal is sh*t talking me - that old fogey really gets under my skin. Other Korean teachers have talked to me afterward about how they think it's rude he says things about me that I can't understand and it's been remarked upon that they'll be happy to see him go next spring, he's been described as a "dictator" to me several times.

Anyway, I always try to not be on his team and then I desperately make it a point to make sure he loses. In one game we got up pretty far and he was fuming, he instructed his team to serve it at my side saying it was weak over there, my team moved closer to me knowing that I was going to be attacked, but I waved them off and they kept a distance. The principal ends up sending it my way expecting me to blow it, but I rush over and soft serve it over so it lands directly behind him, he looks STUNNED, I lose control of myself for a moment and yell, "C'MON. HOLD THAT. HOLD THAT TO YOUR CHEST, SON. C'MON." Instead of the usual weak high five that goes on whenever I do ANYTHING, everyone rushes over and starts saying, "Genchana - genchana-  relax, relax". The principal looked so pissed.

Worth it.

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 08:14:24 am »
I know enough Korean to be able to tell when my principal is sh*t talking me - that old fogey really gets under my skin. Other Korean teachers have talked to me afterward about how they think it's rude he says things about me that I can't understand and it's been remarked upon that they'll be happy to see him go next spring, he's been described as a "dictator" to me several times.

Anyway, I always try to not be on his team and then I desperately make it a point to make sure he loses. In one game we got up pretty far and he was fuming, he instructed his team to serve it at my side saying it was weak over there, my team moved closer to me knowing that I was going to be attacked, but I waved them off and they kept a distance. The principal ends up sending it my way expecting me to blow it, but I rush over and soft serve it over so it lands directly behind him, he looks STUNNED, I lose control of myself for a moment and yell, "C'MON. HOLD THAT. HOLD THAT TO YOUR CHEST, SON. C'MON." Instead of the usual weak high five that goes on whenever I do ANYTHING, everyone rushes over and starts saying, "Genchana - genchana-  relax, relax". The principal looked so pissed.

Worth it.

hahahaha If this this is a true story then that's amazing and you're my hero.

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 08:58:52 am »
To clarify, I definitely didn't yell it right at his face. It was more like when KG just yells into the crowd or up at the rafters. I just saw it go over, knew it was good and turned around and yelled it.

• Bulgogi
  • Veteran

• December 07, 2011, 01:45:04 pm
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 09:43:30 am »
HAHA man, love reading some these stories on here. On a more positive note, I've had it better than some of ya'll:

Upon arriving at my school some 2 years ago...my principal, the P.E. teacher and music teacher ( all male-heads of the school's volleyball  team) were sizing me up.  They were even more impressed when they learned that I was a personal trainer.  Not to mentioned I played almost every single sport out there except hockey.  Within 2 months, I quickly gained their respect as a teacher and teammate and was elevated to the front to  hold blocks and spike.  The music teacher gave me the nickname "Superman" because I can fly so high and spike into the other team and I usually end up saving my team from defeat  ;). After every game (which usually ends up in a victory) the principal/P.E./music teacher would take everyone out for dinner.  Respecting the fact that I don't drink or smoke...they made sure I get the best dibs on the dish or first bite along with the principal. I'm their "MVP" as most of them like to refer me to haha. 

But I gotta be honest I love playing sports and volleyball just for fun...but it really started to take too much of my personal time.   With my free afternoons at school,  I would be call for "emergency/mandatory" volleyball practices while I should be lesson planning ??? (some times in my nice work clothes).  The P.E. teacher even offer to pick me up early from my apartment for early Saturday morning practices before a game so I won't get tired when I have to walk 25 minutes to school. Heck, we did so well my first year there, we even won a school trip to Jeju-do! But in all honesty, hanging out with a group of older folks and earning their respect is good for your social status and all at school but it's really not my cup of tea all the time...

First year there, I played volleyball continously throughout the whole year with them...never missing a practice or making an excuse to miss practice. Although the gf wasn't too happy sometimes about it.  But after that year the principal  and the P.E. teacher got rotated to different schools...volleybal l started to die down at my school.  And I was kind of relieved.  Music teacher wasn't as motivated to be responsible for such task...and the new principal, although nice and firm...lacks the athletic enthusiasm my former principal had.  Let's just say...the second year...our school team did okay...and I could care less about it anymore haha.

• kwakman00
  • Waygookin

• June 17, 2010, 03:49:12 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 11:41:07 am »
I once spiked a ball after it came over to our side of the net and the 6th grade head teacher decided to go for a block...and the ball ended up hitting his face and almost broke his glasses. Yeah...things didn't go too smoothly between us after that. haha.

• Squire
  • Super Waygook

• March 01, 2011, 02:11:36 pm
    • Yeosu
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 09:08:56 pm »
Also the first time I play with a new group I always accidentally knee somebody. It happened to an ajossi on the other team when I first played volleyball at my first school, then...

How did you knee someone on the other team?

He was on the other side of the net and he fell backwards (somehow) into the net and when I was landing from a jump my knee went into his back. That's how I remember it, anyway. It was the first time I'd ever played volleyball so I could have been a bit overzealous and crossed the net a touch...

• wizall
  • Veteran

• May 01, 2012, 09:23:53 am
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 01:43:11 pm »
It's not an awful experience for me, though I'm a little self-conscious of being the only person there drenched in sweat. I'm parked at the front and do a fair amount of spiking/blocking like most of the tall waygookin. I'm a coordinated guy, but I try to keep my competitiveness tamped down. It's just a pleasant time to interact with my co-workers outside of work--normally I haven't a single word to say to them. Smiles and high-fives are okay.