Read 1856 times

Where have all the teaching opportunities gone?
« on: August 31, 2012, 09:17:55 am »
There was so much work in South Korea six months ago, what has happened? It seems to be getting more difficult to secure work, and I am in Korea now.  :(

• Uhfotis
  • Veteran

• December 29, 2009, 12:19:38 pm
    • Wonju,
Re: Where have all the teaching opportunities gone?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 09:49:25 am »
Six months ago most places were hiring for the fall semester, now the fall semester is here and those jobs are filled. There are 2 pretty big hiring seasons in Korea and one just ended. Plus with all the PS jobs getting slashed, and the job market in the west still in the tank there is more competition for jobs.

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 10:01:08 am »
If you are looking for a public school position then, like the above poster said, you just missed a huge hiring season. the next will be in February/March. If you're looking for hagwons I've been told there are plenty of positions especially if you are already in Korea.

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 10:22:49 am »
There are tons and tons of jobs in Korea. Compared to the Western world, there are a crazy amount of openings here. It amazes me that after all my years in Korea that there are still so many positions. Try a job back home and you've got 10,000 people applying for it. I guess it depends upon how picky you are. If you only want to live in Seoul, then yeah, your options are a little more limited. As for public schools, as other posters said, you'll have to wait. But still, tons of jobs in Korea.
I used to be a master of pandemonium

• Uhfotis
  • Veteran

• December 29, 2009, 12:19:38 pm
    • Wonju,
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 11:07:10 am »
I guess it depends upon how picky you are. If you only want to live in Seoul, then yeah, your options are a little more limited. As for public schools, as other posters said, you'll have to wait. But still, tons of jobs in Korea.

Exactly. Get out of Seoul/Busan and you'll have much better luck.

• Deesh
  • Super Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 02:22:10 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 11:33:21 am »
A couple of friends of mine were recently offered jobs in Korea with the minimum of fuss and time - both were set up within a week of contacting recruiters. These were both first time teachers.

On the other hand, there are three other people I know who are really struggling to find work in Korea. Coincidentally, they have all taught here for at least 2 years before.

I guess people who have been here before are (understandably) much choosier when it comes to deciding which jobs are worth applying for, and which aren't even worth considering (the vast majority imo). And also, I guess lots of employers (in all types of schools) are really looking to save money, and hiring new teachers can help achieve this.

As other people have pointed out, getting out of Seoul and Busan is the way to go. Korea is getting smaller all the time in terms of cities spreading out and becoming better connected; being 'out in the sticks' isn't necessarily what it once was.

• Synoptic23
  • Veteran

• August 28, 2012, 09:40:28 am
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 03:09:42 pm »
With hagwons, you can always find work in Korea. I've been here for 3 years, and it seems like we get a new hagwon worker in my town every few weeks. I live in a city of 50,000 people in Gangwon-do province. Maybe you should try looking for work out here. It's isolated, small, and quite far from Seoul. Still a great place to live and work.
Korea since 2009