Read 32628 times

Re: (YBM Maria Oh) Grade 6, Lesson 14 - "Would You Like to Try a Taco?"
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2013, 01:24:16 pm »
Hello,

It's been a while since I posted on here. 
Here is an interesting reading lesson for hour 3 in the textbook.

I made the worksheets to go with the .PPT
The characters are students from my class and Korean celebrities.
Have the students translate (into Korean) or discuss each passage before attempting the questions on the worksheet. 
The students can practice with the exercises in their textbook after the reading.
And the class can end with an activity.

The students really got a kick out of the celebrity names and pictures.
B1A4, Shinee, Girl's Generation, Lee Min-ho, A-pink, Girl's Day, Infinite, ...

Cheers,

• zosozero
  • Waygookin

• June 10, 2012, 10:16:25 pm
    • Ilsan, South Korea
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2013, 03:27:37 pm »
Hey two things here, both to go on either side of a worksheet:

Side 1:  Would you like to have some fun!!! scheduling game.
-I got this writing and speaking activity from someone posting in one of the other books.  I redid some of his page arranging and added some Korean and English directions.  Students will fill in the chart for a week with two activites, two sick days, and two busy days with the given reasons, leaving one open day.  They then have to go around and ask their friends to join them for one of their two activities.  They have to find six friends who's week chart has a free day available for them to join them.  The directions are on the sheet as well as the dialogue they should be using.  Enjoy!

Side 2 1/3: New York vs. Chicago Pizza:  I wrote this little composition about two kids who go to Chicago and New York and try the different pizzas.  I was inspired by John Stewart's pizza rant last week.  They have to read the composition and then answer the questions.

Side 2 2/3: Describe the pizza:  Using the pictures on the sheet as well as the composition, students have to describe the two pizza styles.

Side 2 3/3: Wordsearch:  I finished up my worksheet with an appropriate word search I found on Google using pizza related words.  Enjoy!!

• rocketeerjoe
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2012, 07:52:35 am
    • Jinhae, South Korea
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2013, 03:47:53 pm »
A listening game for this chapter. I usually pair two teams against each other at a time to see who can be best at doing all the actions as I sound out the sentences.

edited to add: I actually wound up having teams speak the sentences as they did actions. They had a blast. And the first title slide was for another lesson so you can just ignore that.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 05:50:18 pm by rocketeerjoe »
"If you want to change your direction. If your time of life is at hand. Well, then don't be the rule, be the exception. A good place to start is to stand. Just put one foot in front of the other." - Rankin Bass Santa Claus

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2013, 09:38:54 am »
flags of the world advertisement, spread out on a power point.  add in your own captions if you like.  its interesting!

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2013, 10:55:26 am »
I was looking for some warm-up videos and this is what I found.
The 'school lunches from around the world' might be a bit long, and the music doesn't help, but I found it really interesting.
The 'food for thought' video is quite advanced but it is quite fun:)

School lunches from around the world
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqJLS0qdNX4

Mixed Nutz - Episode 6 - "Food For Thought"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDe4JVRCxBg

• rocketeerjoe
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2012, 07:52:35 am
    • Jinhae, South Korea
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2013, 07:19:33 pm »
I made an Elimination game for this chapter. I taught them a few extra words like "meal" and tried to make some sentences sound like more natural English.

The Virus Game ppt is based on my own Virus game.

For this game, you will need to write down sentences on slips of paper for each student. Either "I'd love to try some ________.", "Thanks, I'd love to have some _______" for positive responses or "No thanks, I don't like ___________." or "No, I hate _______!" for negative.  Fold them in half and then pass them out. Tell the students not to share their sentences. The negative sentence is the Virus card. I wrote down big "V"s as well as the word Virus on the left and the sentence on the right. I made maybe 5 cards Virus cards.

The class as a whole will ask the sentence on the slide. I made one slide for each student and for a second round we went in reverse order of the slides with the same order for students.

When a student gets a Virus card, then can switch cards with ANY student of their choosing. I came up with this because I didn't like the original Virus game and I think they have way more fun with this.
"If you want to change your direction. If your time of life is at hand. Well, then don't be the rule, be the exception. A good place to start is to stand. Just put one foot in front of the other." - Rankin Bass Santa Claus

Grade 6, Lesson 14 - "Would You Like to Try Some Vegetables?" SONG
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2013, 09:21:09 pm »
 This song is so easy to learn 20 English vegetable words. But it get's to be a challenge near the end of the song. It's good for all levels and all ages.  I reward those students who succeed at saying the words close to the speed of Excellent speaker. I think students can have a lot of fun with this song.

Three levels: Easy, Good, Excellent; the third level is played 3 times.
Words:

cabbage
celery
lettuce
spinach
bell pepper
cucumber
eggplant
pumpkin
tomato
asparagus
garlic
onion
green onion
bamboo shoot
carrot
jicama
potato
radish
sweet potato
mushroom

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 06:28:32 pm by apantelmann »

• 6colorbracelet
  • Adventurer

• June 16, 2013, 01:46:26 am
    • Korea
    more
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2013, 08:16:51 am »
The Virus Game ppt is based on my own Virus game.

For this game, you will need to write down sentences on slips of paper for each student. Either "I'd love to try some ________.", "Thanks, I'd love to have some _______" for positive responses or "No thanks, I don't like ___________." or "No, I hate _______!" for negative.  Fold them in half and then pass them out. Tell the students not to share their sentences. The negative sentence is the Virus card. I wrote down big "V"s as well as the word Virus on the left and the sentence on the right. I made maybe 5 cards Virus cards.

The class as a whole will ask the sentence on the slide. I made one slide for each student and for a second round we went in reverse order of the slides with the same order for students.

When a student gets a Virus card, then can switch cards with ANY student of their choosing. I came up with this because I didn't like the original Virus game and I think they have way more fun with this.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. Could you explain how this game works again? I like the idea but I don't quite get it.

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2013, 08:39:01 am »
board game, pair work.  roll the dice to move forward. "would you like to try a/some (food)?"
yes or no. the 2 monsters can be anything. i usually do go back to start.

• Kwai_Chang_Kain
  • Veteran

• April 29, 2013, 08:22:03 am
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2013, 09:31:53 am »
Quick motivational (or is that demotivational?) video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7tINF7fxt4
"Have you seen what the sith are wearing? It's like every fashion designer in the galaxy went over to the dark side."

• Cdriz
  • Adventurer

• September 09, 2011, 11:20:33 am
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2013, 08:11:34 am »
Here's a reading/writing game I made. You can divide your class into teams, have them work together to figure out the sentence/expression/question. They get a point if they have written the expression correct with correct spelling :)

For example, I + mom - mo + a
Answer: I am

(I used a combination of letters, +, -, and pictures for them to decode the answer).

Hope this helps!

• Shazzy_R
  • Newgookin

• September 01, 2013, 06:02:26 pm
    • Seosan, Changcheongnamdo
Re: Grade 6, Lesson 14 - "Would You Like to Try a Taco?"
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2013, 08:02:23 am »
Short warm up video I put together.

• dallasb7
  • Adventurer

• May 17, 2010, 01:25:56 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2013, 08:36:17 am »
Here is a world food fair activity. Atleast 5 students become a stall vendor for a different cuisine. The other students must go around and purchase the food using both this lessons and the past shopping lessons key dialogue. The vendor that receives the most money and the customer that can try the most with their 14,000won are the winners. 

• JMW
  • Adventurer

• April 14, 2013, 11:27:50 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2013, 02:06:40 pm »
My kids love this video.
They try to see who can hear more food names correctly.
And even though it is rather fast for them they understand the premise of the video, and all have laughed when they realize what happens at the end.
As well, there is translation for what the takeout guy asks them, and they get excited when they realize they understand what he's asking them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uwY3sjqYX0

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2014, 02:11:46 pm »
Here's a simple power point explaining the rules for a slap game, with the cards from the book.

Practicing the expression:
"Would you like to have."

Foods:
  • Noodles
  • Salad
  • Tteokbokki
  • Tacos
  • Pizza
  • Hamburger
  • Dumplings
  • Chicken
  • Spaghetti

Slap Card: Put the students into pairs and give each pair a set of pictures or word cards. They  arrange them facing up between them. They keep their hands on their heads - you say a phrase using one of the words/pictures, and when they hear the key word, they slap the card. First on to slap gets the card. One for the most cards wins (Good for Listening skills).

• wkemp22
  • Adventurer

• March 05, 2013, 01:17:16 pm
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2014, 03:43:20 pm »
Here are some Garfield comics.

For the "Do it Yourself" section, I had the students create an invitation (imagine you're a millionaire and can fly anywhere in the world. Invite your friend to go and try the food."

• melbell
  • Adventurer

• February 25, 2014, 09:13:12 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2014, 10:55:22 am »
I got these from ct. She has yet to tell me this mystery Korean website that she gets materials from lol :laugh:

1. Warm up: Hidden Picture: Korean food edition

2. PPT that covers new vocab, key expression, look and listen and instructions for play together 1.

3. A worksheet I made to go with the PPT for look and listen. Ss just circle the answer.

Sidenote: I explained to my ct today how unnatural  the expressions are in the book. She agreed so she explained to the students that book teaches awkward English sometimes so I taught them more natural phrases( ex. instead of " I'd love to but I can't" for turning down food, "No, thanks".). See what happens when there is good communication between two adults :azn:

BTW: After playing Play together 1. Collect the cards from them. They can easily be used to play a Go fish game for lesson 2- speaking class ;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 02:10:15 pm by melbell »

• Robotka
  • Veteran

• October 05, 2010, 01:05:29 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2014, 02:28:39 pm »
This is a different (shorter) video about School Lunches Around the World. There are 12 countries, with Korea last. I paused it on each country and asked "Would you like to try this lunch?" At the end, I asked what country has the best lunch. Almost every class agreed that France and Korea were the top two! (France has 4 courses.)

It helps to know the following foods:

UK: Shepherd's Pie = meat pie with mashed potato crust
Cuba: Ropa Vieja = shredded beef in sauce (with veggies?)
Mexico: Torta = Mexican sandwich (aka, taco sandwich)
Philippines: lechon kawali = pan-roasted pork
India: saag paneer = spinach curry with cheese curd; dal makhani = black lentil and red kidney bean curry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po0O9tRXCyA

• Robotka
  • Veteran

• October 05, 2010, 01:05:29 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2014, 02:38:37 pm »
Here's my non-PPT game for the end of this lesson, or possibly day 3 if you want to tie it in with the "Food Contest" cartoon from Read and Think.

Part 1 (handout, 1/6th page): Each student thinks of one drink and one food and writes them down.

Part 2: Meet their friends, ask and answer if they'd like to try each other's food. (Not too important if they fail to speak English here, since they'll have to write in English to complete the worksheet.) They should choose one partner to work with.

Part 3 (2nd handout, 1/2 page): Once they're in pairs, explain that now they will make a "crazy menu." The drinks are straight-forward; just write down the two choices and choose one. The "crazy" part is that they must combine their two food items into one. Use the PPT for an example (ice cream pizza!). They should draw, write "Would you like to try...?" and choose their answer. Each student completes their own worksheet to get a stamp/reward of your choice.

Re: Grade 6, Lesson 14 - Would You Like to Try a Taco? (YBM Maria Oh)
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2015, 02:21:17 pm »
Here's an intro power point I modified from somewhere else on waygook. I introduced different foods from different countries at the beginning of the first class. I let the students guess the name of the picture as it came out and then guess the type of food after they saw all four examples.   At the end of class I played 4 corners with the same foods. on each slide students would chose one food and go to that corner. I would ask "What will you have." They would answer "I'll have _______."

I used the same items to play a guessing game I made in the second class. The pictures flash on the screen and the students have to guess the type of food they saw. Played in teams, but if a team said the wrong answer another team could guess. It was pretty easy. (except for candy-they all guessed chocolate first, and melon bar-took a few tries to get) I also played pictionary  with pictures of the same foods (just print out the static slides from the first powerpoint). They actually really really liked pictionary.

Great idea!  I used your powerpoint and game, just updated the pictures and took them from Pinterest and whatnot so they look extra delicious and interesting :D