Read 1288 times

I received a contract from a GEPIK school, and I didn't notice a 6-month limit for having to pay back the initial flight to Korea.

This means, according to my contract, that if I'm fired with one day left on my contract, then I have to pay back the initial flight fee.

Is this the norm with GEPIK, or just with this one school?

• karoo_guy
  • Adventurer

• April 05, 2012, 12:51:16 pm
    • Incheon
Re: No more 6-month limit on flight repayment for GEPIK contracts?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 07:51:53 am »
The 6 month thing doesn't seem to be enough to keep unhappy people here so they may be changing it. Still, I would get more info on if it's just your school or the entire GEPIK. If it's just your school then that may be a warning flat that others have left early and you need to ask yourself "why did they leave early". With all the work available here there is no excuse to go to a school with a bad rep.

• nomad_kate
  • Veteran

• April 06, 2012, 10:24:02 am
    • Ilsan, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 09:55:44 am »
See, I don't think that will deter people from leaving; it'll just make them even more likely to pull a runner rather than give notice.

A school I used to work at had two people give notice according to their contract (2 months notice, completing 6 months of their contracts).  The school delayed giving them the first month's pay until they left and held the ENTIRE second month's pay (for both of them) to pay 'recruiter's fees' to find new teachers.  The following month another unhappy teacher just ran off with no financial penalty.  If they make it too hard and financially punitive, people just won't give notice.  NBD if you don't plan to come back to Korea.

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 02:47:32 pm »
I believe it is the same for all GEPIK contracts. I'm going to leave at 6 months but have to pay back flights and settlement as far as I understand.
My recruiter said 6months but that's not what the contract says and I'm kind of scared of asking around. Is any other GEPIK teacher leaving or has left 6 months into the 2012 contract?