Read 55045 times

• stricks
  • Adventurer

• August 27, 2013, 09:10:55 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: (천재교육 Cheonjae/Frances Sohn) Grade 5, Lesson 9 - "This is My House"
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2013, 12:23:06 pm »
What Do You See?

Simple paired work game. I handed out a worksheet with the house image from the CD accompanying the book and some blank lines to accommodate the activity. Students decide which of the partners will go first and one student must sit with his or her back to the projector/screen so they cannot see the PPT. Then the other partner looks at the PPT and describes, item by item (at the teacher's pace), what is in the house, using the target language, "In the _____ there's a _____." The items are silly because, I have found, my students pay much better attention when I throw in the unexpected.

Once all four items have been described (written on the worksheet and drawn in the house, if you want) then the student with his or her back to the screen can turn around and see the house. Then, the partners switch roles and I go through the second house with odd items.

I have a very stripped-down version of PPT here, so I went the old fashioned, slide-by-slide route for programming this. Can't malfunction!  :laugh:

Where's The Puppy

We used a modified version of a game like this (submitted by another user earlier in this thread) but we also created a system through which we could award students points. (1 guess = 5 pts, 2 guesses = 4 pts, etc.) We also gave them a word bank in case they couldn't think of things to stash in the rooms without puppies. Sorry I don't have the document to post for you--it's on my KT's computer.

• yongukin
  • Waygookin

• October 14, 2010, 09:17:25 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2013, 01:18:24 pm »
Here is a 'spot the difference' activity.

• jchoi911
  • Adventurer

• July 07, 2010, 07:39:27 am
    • Busan
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2013, 01:55:19 pm »
EVIL version of snakes and ladders..  :evil: :evil: :evil:

« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2013, 03:22:54 pm »
Here's a Harry Potter Prezi I made about this chapter.  You can zoom in on different rooms.
http://prezi.com/puliugc7zfza/this-is-my-house/
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 03:25:12 pm by missannajones »

• Tammy Warren
  • Adventurer

• September 02, 2011, 09:08:17 am
    • Osan, South Korea
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2013, 02:01:34 pm »
Here is a worksheet that you can use with the stickers for Act & Play in period 3.

• JC49
  • Featured Contributor

• July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 am
    • PYEONTAEK,SOUTH KOREA
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2013, 06:47:58 am »
A missing ppt for PPT 2 OR 3.

• AbigailJoy
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2013, 08:54:19 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2013, 10:52:08 am »
At the suggestion of a friend, I redeemed a favorite drinking game and created "English Flip Cup"...

The results were miraculous.  Perfect for squirrelly post-Chuseok classes.

• JC49
  • Featured Contributor

• July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 am
    • PYEONTAEK,SOUTH KOREA
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2013, 12:01:18 pm »
My co-teacher's game : Where's thePuppy.

Have to make sentences.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:04:01 pm by JC49 »

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2013, 01:19:30 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AstXYoiqvVA

This is a pretty cool video to allow kids to expand their thoughts on the subject. Ask them what they saw, names of the rooms, etc.

« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2013, 07:47:06 am »
Where's the Puppy? Reading Review Game.

Split class into groups or teams, mine worked best with 4 teams. They choose a sentence and the whole team reads the sentence aloud. Click on the sentence - no puppy no points, puppy = 1 point. My kids really loved it.

• yfb
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2010, 11:50:12 am
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2013, 10:43:49 am »
MASH activity. Tried to make it as simple as possible in the PPT, but it still took about 15-20 minutes to explain the activity. It's a good activity with advanced students.

• jbrookin
  • Adventurer

• March 14, 2011, 01:47:25 pm
    • south korea
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2013, 03:23:16 pm »
A fun story.  My 5th graders are a little more advanced.  This is just a story to start them thinking in English at the beginning of class. 

Also, a reading worksheet.  You will need to change it if you want it to be fill in the blank. 

"My Crazy House" Jigsaw Activity

This activity should involve all the students and get them to practice the 4 skills:  listening, speaking, reading & writing.  It has 2 parts:

Set up:  Explain to the students that there are 5 crazy things in the house:  a zombie, a robot, a chicken, a dinosaur and a bear.  The problem is we don't know where these things are.  Only the students can solve the mystery of the "crazy house".

PART 1 - Each group of students gets an envelope.  Inside the envelope are 4 sentences cut up into pieces.  The students should reconstruct the sentences.

THERE'S A SINK IN THE BATHROOM.
THERE'S A TOILET IN THE BATHROOM.
THERE'S A CHICKEN IN THE BATHROOM.
WHAT A SURPRISE!

Each group's envelope involves one room of the crazy house.  When they have made 4 sentences you can check their work and have them practice reading the sentences to you.

Next give them the handout (a 1/4 sheet of A4 paper A side = house B side = items in the house).  They should write down the things in their room.

PART 2: The students will now interview each other to find out what's in the other rooms.  It's pretty obvious that a sofa and a TV are in the living room, but who would guess there's also a bear!  I gave my students 7 minutes to complete this.

Wrap-up:  The students report back what's in the crazy house.

It takes a bit of prep time (photocopies + laminating the word cards) but the students seemed to appreciate the activity and they will get practice with all 4 skills.

• EMB
  • Explorer

• August 25, 2012, 03:57:23 pm
    • Chungju, South Korea
I made a muppet version of Clue to play at the end of the chapter. It's just like the traditional board game (minus the board).
It uses  three extra vocab words: dining room, teapot, and jewelry.
The PPT has directions for the students, and the playing cards/answer sheet are at the end.

• Tammy Warren
  • Adventurer

• September 02, 2011, 09:08:17 am
    • Osan, South Korea
Here is a 'sleeping elephant game' I adapted for this lesson.

• vionne
  • Adventurer

• March 08, 2012, 10:31:15 am
    • pohang, south Korea
My students showed very little interest in the Tony Hawk Cribs clip - mostly because they didn't know him. Here are some links to some other celebs they might know: Lady Gaga, Bill gates, Justin Bieber. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myJ8CYuJsuw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vo05uLBivQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnHxNcFC44Q

I have gathered and created lots of materials for each lesson of the chapters in this book. Some of the stuff may be a repeat as I have downloaded many a PPT from Waygook. This stuff is not all originally my idea. Many times I have used other peopleís stuff and modified it, though some stuff I have done solo. So credit to other people whoíve posted before.
Since there are several files, I will give a brief explanation for how to use or play games for those that are not self explanatory. Here goes:

Speaking and Action Game: Students stand up and read one word at a time, moving along their rows. When a shape appears above a word, the student must say the word and do the action, such as clapping. When there is a triangle that takes over the original word, the student must say the new word associated with the triangle. If a student says the wrong word, does the wrong action or is too quiet, they are out and must sit down. Play until one student remains.
Go Fish Card Game: Play like Go Fish. Students use the dialog to ask for different cards. If the person they ask has the card, that person must give all of the cards of that particular variety. If the person they ask does not have a card, they take a card from the middle pile. A set of 4 is one point. Example play given in PPT.
Word Shark Hangman: Hangman.
Guessing Game: Students must try to guess the picture, using the key expression. They have three chances, seeing more of the picture with each chance. If they can get it in the first try, they get three points. Second try, two points. Third try, one point.
Reading Jigsaw Game: Split students into groups of 4. Each person gets one of the reading cards, A, B, C or D. Each student, in alphabetical order, reads one of their sentences for each number. The group must connect the clues to find the answer. (Crossword Jigsaw is similar, but students give clues about the words to write in the boxes, e.g. "4 across is a website lots of English teachers in Korea use." Other students write answer, waygook.org)
Speaking and Reading Board Race Game: Split students into partners. Each partner starts from one opposite end of the board. They must read the sentences as quickly as possible at the same time, moving in the direction of their partnerís starting point. When they read the same box, play rock, paper, scissors. Winner continues from that box, loser starts again from their beginning. Continue until one person reaches the opposite side of the board.
Stand, Read, Sit: Split students into partners. Two partners stand up. Teacher shows word, phrase or sentence on the screen. Students read quickly and sit down. First partner to read correctly and sit down is the winner.
Twisting Words: Split students into groups and give each a small white board, marker and eraser. Groups read moving words on the screen and form a sentence. Write sentence on the white board. Groups with the correct answer get one point.
Blazing Pens: Split students into groups and give each a small white board, marker and eraser. Groups unscramble words on the screen and form a sentence. Write sentence on the white board. First group with the correct answer gets a point.
Quick Pens: Split students into groups and give each a small white board, marker and eraser. Groups write as many sentences on the white board based on the picture on the screen. One point for each correct sentence.
Telepathy Game: Split students into groups and give each a small white board, marker and eraser. Groups write one of the four displayed sentences on the white board. If the sentence matches the remaining sentence on the screen, they get one point.
Writing Elimination Game: Students choose one word, phrase or sentence from each column. They should select a total of four boxes to make a sentence or short paragraph. Have all students stand up. Click on one box at a time from each column to make it disappear. Students who have written what is in the boxes that are clicked away must sit down. Last student standing is the winner.
Bomb Games: You know what to do!

Hope this material helps. Thanks to all the people who have posted stuff that Iíve been able to modify, use and get ideas from!

• rparmer2
  • Newgookin

• July 30, 2013, 11:11:22 am
    • Goyang Ciity
Here is a very basic PowerPoint that we used to review Key Expressions.

• lianney
  • Super Waygook

• April 05, 2012, 09:12:45 am
House song. First, give the students the lyrics and have them guess what the words are based on context clues. Then, check the answer and sing the song.

Also for fun, a scary Halloween game.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 12:35:11 pm by lianney »
http://www.liasian.wordpress.com Accounts of a Korean American adoptee

$10 off of orders $40 or more on iHerb.com Code: LST616 http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=LST616

Earn $25 when you book $50 or more at Booking.com : https://www.booking.com/s/34_6/9545870b

• lianney
  • Super Waygook

• April 05, 2012, 09:12:45 am
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2013, 12:09:52 pm »
I had them on Halloween, so I used this as a motivation: A tour through a haunted house. Nothing too fancy, but they enjoyed it.
http://www.liasian.wordpress.com Accounts of a Korean American adoptee

$10 off of orders $40 or more on iHerb.com Code: LST616 http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=LST616

Earn $25 when you book $50 or more at Booking.com : https://www.booking.com/s/34_6/9545870b