Read 55459 times

• teachermc
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2010, 11:47:41 am
    • Tongyeong, South Korea
    more
Re: Grade 5 Lesson 9 This is my house- (Frances Sohn)
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 02:30:31 pm »
Here is the house picture from the book-- Listen and Play section.
Also, I made it into a Ppt. that has those things from the back in the Ppt. There are two slides, one for showing each thing one at a time while the kids let you know where ___ is, and one for if you are short on time, you just show that one instead, it has them all there already... so delete one according to your class... Enjoy!

*** The first one is the picture shown, just a pic. The second one (Ppt.) is the actual one to use, I put both just in case, but just go for the second one, it has first just the pic, then the items coming one at a time in this order:
Bed
Table
Toilet
Puppy
Desk
TV
Stove
Sink
Couch
Dog

Thank you for posting that graphic.  I took a look at your PPT and I am going to do something similar for section 2:

I made a Prezi that incorporates that graphic you shared and the idea of showing the rooms first to review and then having them think about what items may be in each room.

First, the presentation focuses on each room of the house in turn, including the garden.  During this time, I will ask students to suggest what may be commonly found in each room.  This should hopefully give less proficient students a chance to listen to some vocabulary words so that they can refer to them during the guessing game.

After reviewing the rooms, the presentation zooms back in on the rooms, starting with the bedroom.  If you use this Prezi directly, be sure to be careful when moving forward with the presentation, because after the presentation zooms in on the bedroom, three items will appear in the room.  I will show students the room before the items appear and ask them to work in pairs (or teams) to guess what 3 items I have placed in the room.  After a short amount of time, I will reveal the items and the class will review the vocabulary together.  I will continue this way for each room and the garden.

I teach alone, so it is often easier to keep the students focused if this activity incorporates some kind of competition.  One idea is to play the game Family Feud-style - students try to guess what someone else (in this case, I) have chosen as common items for each room.  Of course, putting things in the rooms that are too common will make it more difficult for students to see a clear winner in the game and might also discourage less proficient students as the game would be more dependent on their knowledge of particular vocabulary.  Sometimes, in my view, less proficient students will feel that the playing field is more balanced if there is an element of chance.

Adding to that, another way to randomize the game and make more students interested is to have points for correct answers given according to the throw of dice or something similar.

I have made this Prezi able to be copied into other user's Prezi accounts to edit and adjust if anyone is interested.

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 09:39:26 am »
Here is a worksheet based on the one going around and the ppt worksheet someone made for this lesson.

• JC49
  • Featured Contributor

• July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 am
    • PYEONTAEK,SOUTH KOREA
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 03:09:43 pm »
P5 READ & THINK STOPWATCH GAME. Set time to guess the room. Plus AVENGERS GAME FROM MY CT

Here is another ppt for P5.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 08:17:26 am by JC49 »

• HikaruClaire
  • Waygookin

• January 14, 2012, 11:02:54 am
    • Yongsan-gu, Seoul
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 01:23:36 pm »
I made a reading/listening bingo game which would work as an activity for the 2nd or 3rd period of this lesson.

The 3x3 bingo grid overlays a cute cartoon house. Each bingo square is labeled with the name of a room (kitchen, bathroom, living room, dining room, bedroom) BUT you could make this a writing activity and have the students write the names of the rooms. Then they draw pieces of furniture in any room.

[Mod edit - removed duplicate attachment]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 01:22:05 am by complex303 »

• kristenlm
  • Adventurer

• August 20, 2012, 09:52:16 am
    • Seoul-Sindang
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 02:01:49 pm »
I made a memory or concentration game. The students have to say the ____ is in the _____room. My students love it!

• JC49
  • Featured Contributor

• PYEONTAEK,SOUTH KOREA
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2012, 06:43:08 am »
Did this Elephant GAME for 4 . Template was provided by somebody on this board :)

• marty
  • Super Waygook

• October 24, 2010, 09:46:13 pm
    • japan

• JC49
  • Featured Contributor

• PYEONTAEK,SOUTH KOREA
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2012, 11:44:19 am »
You can ask co-teacher for translation or do search on this board  :). Explanation should be provided.

JC49, do you have the instructions for the elephant game available in English? Thanks

• wstuchell
  • Adventurer

• August 29, 2011, 10:24:28 am
    • Korea
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 12:47:59 pm »
I know a lot of people were looking at possibly using MTV cribs as motivation for this unit.  Unfortunately a lot of the shows involve alcohol, smoking, swearing, and stuff that generally shouldn't be shown in an elementary school classroom.  That being said I found that the Tony Hawk clip worked really well.  First he's an older family guy so the show has no references to drugs, alcohol, etc.  Also, he uses a lot of simple statements like "This is my family room, This is my bedroom, etc."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkjot13p8ow
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:51:14 pm by wstuchell »

• teachermc
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2010, 11:47:41 am
    • Tongyeong, South Korea
    more
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 01:31:16 pm »
Here is a replacement powerpoint/discussion aid for the Around the World part of this lesson (section 6).  The photos and information are from photo journalist James Mollison's project "Where Children Sleep."  You can view more of the images in this project on his site.

Also, this is a related photo project by Julian Germain called "Classroom Portraits."  It follows the same thread of using portraits to compare the lives of children in different places around the world.

I would not recommend using this if you teach alone or if you have had some sensitivity issues come up in your class related to race or social class.  If you are lucky enough to have support from a Korean teacher or just have a great, respectful group of students, I have some discussion suggestions:

When you show the first picture of each - the room without the child's photo or information - ask students to describe the room.  From there, you might help them to make some guesses about the child's age, gender, location, etc.  Then, students can compare their guesses to the information given about each child.

• Craash
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2011, 07:06:22 pm
    • Yeoncheon-gun
    more
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 10:03:49 pm »
JC49, do you have the instructions for the elephant game available in English? Thanks

If you are going to play it - do it quickly!!

Some person already posted it on "InThisSchool" (Korean teachers website) and Korean teachers are already downloading the EXACT same game and playing it in their classes.....

• tweety11226
  • Adventurer

• August 04, 2011, 12:41:12 am
    • South Korea, Daegu
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 08:12:06 am »
Did this Elephant GAME for 4 . Template was provided by somebody on this board :)

Hello JC49,

I tried to look for the instructions through waygook and came up empty. Can you please explain the instructions, please? Some people don't teach with their co-teachers but they actually teach by themselves and the co-teacher just sit there and translate when necessary.

PS If you know where the link is that discuss this game, please feel free to post the link

• jenglish
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2010, 12:14:19 pm
    • Gwangju Elementary
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 08:33:07 am »
Fun dialog and games.

• barbbui
  • Veteran

• November 02, 2010, 02:15:54 pm
    • korea
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 01:24:19 pm »
I took the template form someone on the board.  Thanks!

Flip the clip ...Team play speaking activity

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 04:19:04 pm »
Show your kids this video, it's very minecrafty. You can pause it and ask them about stuff in the rooms.
http://vimeo.com/4240369

• seouldier girl
  • Adventurer

• November 27, 2011, 09:37:59 am
    • Ireland nov'11, soon to be seoul in early 2012!
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2012, 08:22:02 am »
Here's another panda video I made for this chapter.
Panda giving a simple house tour. I'm using it for my open class today (which is why my co-teacher insisted i show my face in this one, so the parents realise i made it. gah.)
I'll show the vid and ask questions.
so far my students really like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN8XFQ_5heA&feature=g-upl

• acosmann
  • Explorer

• March 01, 2011, 01:38:48 pm
    • Daegu
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2012, 11:43:47 am »

Hello JC49,

I tried to look for the instructions through waygook and came up empty. Can you please explain the instructions, please? Some people don't teach with their co-teachers but they actually teach by themselves and the co-teacher just sit there and translate when necessary.

PS If you know where the link is that discuss this game, please feel free to post the link

Hey, I played this game with my grade 4's for another lesson.  Really simple and the kids liked it. Thanks JC49  for the template it works really well.
You split the class into groups of four, each member within each group gets assigned a number between 1&4. Each team gets a white board and marker. When you say elephants sleep they must all put their head on the desk and close their eyes. You then say elephants number one wake up, whoever was assigned number one in each group must open their eyes and look at the board. You show them one word/part of the sentence. They must remember the word/words they saw, without writing it down or saying the word. You then say all elephants sleep.  Then repeat the same steps for elephants 2-4.  Once each member has seen a part of the sentence, you say; “All elephants wake up!” They then have about a minute to figure out and write down what the complete sentence was.

• balehead
  • Explorer

• March 08, 2012, 08:30:56 am
    • Gwacheon
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2012, 10:31:38 am »
They're many you tube video tours of mine craft houses that make great introduction clips. This is a good example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzQQOMCxTp4&feature=related

• IsabelleE
  • Newgookin

• September 11, 2012, 02:23:16 pm
    • incheon, South Korea
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2012, 12:56:32 pm »
I used this game called hotseat at the end of the lesson. Students line up in front of a picture and one student is facing away sitting in the "hotseat" the students in line must try and explain the picture without using the name of it. E.g. living room- There is a desk and a sofa in here... there is a tv...

The classes really loved it.

• kneekick
  • Adventurer

• April 26, 2012, 12:54:48 pm
    • S.Korea
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2012, 01:36:11 pm »
Show your kids this video, it's very minecrafty. You can pause it and ask them about stuff in the rooms.
http://vimeo.com/4240369
If you're going to pause the video, I would suggest showing it more than once and pausing during the 2nd showing. The kids loved this video and pausing it to ask questions about the video seemed to ruin it a bit for them. My students in the first class were so annoyed with me, they wouldn't even answer questions about what was in the house after the second time I stopped it.
In subsequent classes, I told the students to watch and remember the video and asked them what they saw in it after it was finished playing. This worked much better and they were very enthusiastic to share what they remembered seeing. They always wanted to see it twice.