Read 1969 times

• dkteach
  • Newgookin

• February 23, 2012, 04:46:56 pm
    • Ansan-si, South Korea
Hey SMOE teachers

Are you thinking of staying in Korea and getting a Hagwon job or maybe if available another Public School Job?  Or Heading home.

What do you think is going to happen to Gangnam School District?

Thanks for your opinions

• acopel7
  • Veteran

• March 15, 2011, 09:22:05 pm
    • korea
I'll be heading home after my contract ends in six months.

The SMOE contract is getting worse every time, and my school has not been treating me very well. It's a shame that these negative feelings started brewing. Even at my previous (better) school, I had my issues with them...

Some of my friends are doing well in their public schools, but they're not in SMOE and their workplaces are much better than mine. I'd like to see how they feel when their MOE/POEs decide to actively phase their jobs out.

• bawaugh
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2012, 08:49:30 pm
    • Geoje
    more
I am at the other end of the country, but it would not surprise me if the SMOE plan would be done elsewhere in the country in a year or two. But from what I hear, firstly the shut down the program in high schools and middle schools. [size=78%]Then after a few years they will be winding down the elementary school program. [/size]
PV=nRT

Where
P is pressure
V is volume
n is number of moles
R is the gas constant
T is the temperature

• amoonbot
  • Veteran

• November 15, 2010, 08:59:54 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
After my last contract, which ended last week, I hopped onto the Korean corporate train. Been working at my new company for 2 days.  :P

• jurassic82
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2010, 12:30:51 pm
    • South Korea
After my contract ends I plan on staying for another year. It will be my 5th contract. I read a previous post about SMOE contracts getting worse and worse. I am not sure what they meant by that except the fact that renewal vacation got cut from 2 weeks to 1 week. Besides that everything else seems the same as when I started with 21 days vacation, airfare, housing and lots of other odd days off. Last December there was speculation about SMOE cutting all NETs by 2014. There was a lot of hysteria and then I heard nothing more about it. Some NETs like to say they heard from their head teacher who heard from so and so. I know that there aren't anymore NET in middle schools and high schools but as far as I can see they haven't touched elementary school and nor do they plan to. I hope to stay for another year or so and then head on to a University gig after I finish my masters. I am not too worried about the current situation. ;D

After my last contract, which ended last week, I hopped onto the Korean corporate train. Been working at my new company for 2 days.  :P

Just curious but are you teaching corporate clients or working a regular office job?

• amoonbot
  • Veteran

• November 15, 2010, 08:59:54 am
    • Seoul, South Korea

Just curious but are you teaching corporate clients or working a regular office job?

I'm working as a consultant at a company dedicated to sending Korean students abroad to U.S. high schools and universities. No teaching involved.

• C3PO
  • Adventurer

• September 06, 2010, 08:32:11 pm
    • south korea
Wow that consulting job sounds sweet!  Would you have any recommendations on how to find jobs in Korea that AREN'T teaching? 

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• July 15, 2012, 03:48:16 pm
    • Korea
Wow that consulting job sounds sweet!  Would you have any recommendations on how to find jobs in Korea that AREN'T teaching?

Networking, word of mouth, or deeply impress a boss. Any jobs going likely won't be advertised so you'll have to make the right connections.
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.