Read 2011 times

Time limit of FBI Background check for Visa?
« on: August 21, 2012, 06:05:14 am »
I saw something recently that said when applying for your E2 visa, your FBI background check needs to be from the last 6 months? Is this true? I got my background check about 3 months ago and was not going to make the move and get my visa for probably about another 3 months. I did just get it apostilled this month though. My question is that if this 6 month rule is true, is it 6 months from when it was apostilled or 6 months from when you originally received the background check. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• July 15, 2012, 03:48:16 pm
    • Korea
Re: Time limit of FBI Background check for Visa?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 06:34:26 am »
Hi DQuick25, FBI and CBC checks are valid from the date of issue from the relevant authority, the apostille is only to verify that it's legit. Recruiters here will generally prefer a 'younger' background check to one that is nearer the 6 month limit, so if you haven't secured a placement yet I think you should aim for getting one in the next 30 days.
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.

• Chicagohotdog
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 04, 2012, 12:25:31 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
    more
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 09:28:27 am »
It is 6 months from the date on the background check. 

I know that it's the same time frame in the states when you are applying for teaching jobs - the background check needs to be within the last 6 months, preferably less than 3 (or at least that's how every single school I applied to in the states ran their employment process). 
Discount of up to $10 off of first order on iHerb.com ---> CHK096

$10 off of a Tour booked through Viator.com (You get $10 off and I'll get $10 off - that could be an airport ride): https://www.viator.com/raf/PDPOTBSYI

http://travelhacking.org/sammery-wants-you

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 09:31:31 am »
OP, you're right. Technically, you'll still be within the 6 month expiration limit of your check. Still, I'd apply for another one just in case something happens and you hit that expiration date - the time table I'm picturing for you seems a little tight plus, you never know what can happen.

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 12:18:41 pm »
Do we need a new one if we are renewing our contract?

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 11:09:57 pm »
Do we need a new one if we are renewing our contract?

Yes and No...

No, if the last check was a National meaning issued from the FBI.  a renewal with same school will not need.

Yes, if issued from a state or city.  This used to be fine, but immigration closed a loophole in 2011.  Immigration will want a FBI check now.

Some other thoughts.    This is immigration your a dealing with.   Consider getting an extra check done so that if things go wrong situation.

Also some MOEs can be testy about wanting CRC checks now, too.   Hopefully you can get away with a certified (FBI) check from immigration.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 01:34:10 am »
    Yeah, 6 months from the time that the FBI dates the check.
I used to be a master of pandemonium

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 10:41:53 am »
My check is from 2011 and I have not been back in the states since. Hum... does anyone know the number I have to call to just talk to someone from immigration directly?

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 02:18:06 pm »
My check is from 2011 and I have not been back in the states since. Hum... does anyone know the number I have to call to just talk to someone from immigration directly?

What kind of check?  FBI or State/City?  Once again if the check is a STATE check, then you will need a new CRC.  If the check was from the FBI you are very likely fine in a renewal.

Plus come on the number for immigration, you do not know...   You are a veteran poster and if that whole time have never seen the four numbers that are so easy to remember...

That is the number....

You might have to try a few times it can get busy.

Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.