Read 3154 times

• rebecca.meiers
  • Waygookin

• December 08, 2010, 08:55:13 am
    • Hwaseong-shi, Gyeonggi-do
Visa when you quit a hagwon after 2 months.
« on: August 14, 2012, 01:09:15 am »
I am quitting a hagwon after two months and my owner has agreed.  However he wants me to pay recruitment fees of 1.4 mil + my airline ticket. 

I agreed to wait until he finds someone new, however I would not get paid any money for the month of august since he says someone is coming at the end of august.

He is not paying into my pension, or taxes, health insurance....does he have a case here?  He agreed to do the E-2 transfer, but I just don't think I should pay for a recruitment fee if he's been a lying bastard?

He also says he thinks I can't get an E-2 transfer after working so little time.   But...I don't understand, because I thought I could get one if he agreed to it?  it's in my contract.

If you need to know the backstory of what happened,I posted in Institution Reviews just before this.

What are my options?  Advice welcome.  Thank you!

Re: Visa when you quit a hagwon after 2 months.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 08:33:17 am »
Unless it's expressly says in your contract that you owe him recruitment fees then you don't owe him. Most contracts do say you forfeit your airfare if you quit before 6 months as well.

About the taxes/pension/health insurance, it comes down to when you go your ARC card. It's expected to take a little time to get all of that set up. Some schools do it faster than others.

I will say that it is his choice to let you transfer your visa to another school. That being said, if you don't pay him everything he wants he's liable to just not sign off on the visa transfer.

So in a nutshell, it' not like he can sue you or something, but he can withhold that visa transfer if he doesn't get what he wants.

• TallPaul
  • Adventurer

• March 14, 2012, 07:38:27 am
    • Incheon
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 08:34:40 am »
You can call immigration at 1345 and ask them questions about how it works.

From my understanding, if your employer agrees to give you a release letter, you can easily change jobs, even if it is only 2 months into the contract.

I actually offered my employer the same deal, and they still refused to give me the release letter!

• Orson
  • Veteran

• May 16, 2012, 09:50:45 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 09:17:09 am »
I agreed to wait until he finds someone new, however I would not get paid any money for the month of august since he says someone is coming at the end of august.

You're agreeing to work an entire month without pay...why?

Or will your last month's pay cover the recruiting fee and airline ticket the owner says you owe him?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 09:21:01 am by Orson »

• rebecca.meiers
  • Waygookin

• December 08, 2010, 08:55:13 am
    • Hwaseong-shi, Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 09:59:17 am »
I had agreed to pay the airline fee, since I think that is fair.  But then he asked I pay a recruitment fee, which would mean I would get nothing for that month.

So....I am not sure what to do?   Especially since I complained that I would go to the labor board if he didn't pay into my pension or health insurance.  He has agreed ("oh I'll go next month") but I realize I don't want to work for a shady boss who is blaming me for his bad business decisions and lying to me.......

Like I said, he is granting me a release, but if I don't fulfill this 1.4 recruitment fee, i fear the worst.  I feel like I am being bullied, and I have heard the same story from other teachers. The last one he hired quit after 2 months as well. 

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• July 15, 2012, 03:48:16 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 10:32:24 am »
Maybe the recruiter has a different deal to the one I know personally, who doesn't get paid the fee if the contract ends before 3 months are up. In any instance he has no right to claim for that fee unless it is mentioned in the contract. From what you've said it looks very much like he's trying to fleece you for everything he can.
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.

• CDW
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 15, 2011, 01:22:09 pm
    • Banned
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 10:45:57 am »
This is what I would do:
Work until the end of August so that he'll give you a letter of release. After you have transferred your visa to a new school and are in a new apartment go to the labor board. I think there's a good chance the labor board will rule in your favor if there's nothing in your contract about deducting the recruiter's fee. You also might want to contact your recruiter to see if they were ever paid. Recruiters usually have to wait three months to be paid.

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 11:17:25 am »
CDW is correct. play it smooth and then bite. You have 2 years to file a claim, so no rush.

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 03:55:23 pm »
Cooperate to get that letter of release.  It may be horrible to be nice to a jerk who wants to cheat you.   To get that other job, you need that LOR.

Your options are to either a visa transfer to a new school or go for a D-10 (look for work visa).  Still with both of those you need a LOR (letter of release).  The problem is even if you do quit by the book and you do pay the airline ticket back or what ever the boss feels you oww.  The boss can be an ******* and not give it.   I would cooperate with them, but give the stipulation that you want a LOR NOW.  The boss can post date it for when you finish, but you want one NOW.  Rely upon yourself.  Write it up and do it yourself, get it signed by him.   So when you do transfer you can ignore him or do not need him to deal with immigration.

Now the question is of after 2 months can you transfer.  Well the rules used to be 6 months or more and things where fine.  That was scrapped.   Now a days it is up to the discretion of the immigration official.  If they feel you are moving around too much or have no just cause, they can refuse.  I think you can transfer but YOU need that LOR.

The recruiter is another problem.  You might create an enemy there.  Remember the recruiter is not your friend.  He/She does not work for you.  The may be all nice a kind and have you try and stick around, but come past the grace period till they get money from the school, they will forget your name.  Another question is should you have to pay the recruiters fee.   In all fairness, sort of yes.  But 10/12 or  9/12 of the fee IF the boss has paid. That is me.

Your priority to to get that transfer.   Take the adage, hope for the best, plan for the worst.  You might want to start getting some new paperwork in the works.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.