Read 16135 times

• Laurabrown19
  • Waygookin

• July 12, 2012, 06:32:01 pm
    • Cheongju, South Korea
How's the weather? Super Spelling Game for final period.
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 01:31:29 pm »
Students each have a worksheet with 10 answer boxes.
They look at the picture, and spelling options (eg. Reining, laining, raining, rainbow,renning) and then they choose whichever they think is the correct spelling and write it down. Then ask the students 'who chose number 1? hands up!', 'who chose number 2? hands up!' Go through all the answers and the reveal the correct answer, 'The correct answer is... number 5!'. All the students with the correct answer will get one point.
Then ask the whole class 'How do you spell rainy?'. The students should chant back together 'R-A-I-N-Y.' Then on to the next question.
The students with the most correct answers are the winners.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:33:51 pm by Laurabrown19 »

• lmcewen
  • Adventurer

• March 18, 2013, 09:43:31 am
Re: (천재교육 Cheonjae/Frances Sohn) Grade 3, Lesson 13 - "It's Sunny"
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 02:19:32 pm »
An easy game to practice students' listening and speaking skills using the new vocabulary. My third graders really got into it! :)

Have the students form a line/horseshoe against the back of the classroom. Each slide in the Powerpoint has a picture of a type of weather. When the students see the picture they have to perform the accompanying action (e.g. sunny=shading their eyes, rainy=pretending to hold an umbrella, snowing=hugging themselves and shivering, windy=pretending to be blown backwards). The student(s) who do the action last or who do the wrong action are out, and have to sit down. I played 2 rounds--the first round just with actions, and the second with actions and sentences (i.e. for a "sunny" slide they had to shade their eyes and call out "It's sunny!").

• lmcewen
  • Adventurer

• March 18, 2013, 09:43:31 am
Re: (천재교육 Cheonjae/Frances Sohn) Grade 3, Lesson 13 - "It's Sunny"
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 02:40:38 pm »
This is another game I created for the reading part of the lesson! I asked all of the students to bring in weather-specific clothing on the day that we would be playing the game (sunglasses and baseball hats for sunny, umbrellas and raincoats for raining, scarves and mittens for snowing, and jackets for windy). There are some instructions on how to play on the second slide of the Powerpoint but I'll explain here as well:

Have the students form teams according to how many sets of each type of clothing you have--so if you only have 2 baseball hats or 2 scarves then just use 2 teams. Arrange the clothing in piles on desks at the back of the classroom and have the teams form lines with the first person closest to the clothing. The first person in line is the "mannequin" and the second person is the one dressing them. When the teams read the sentence on the screen, the dresser must run and gather the right kind of clothing, then dress their teammate. Once the mannequin is correctly dressed, the whole team has to call out the sentence together (e.g. "It's sunny!"). The mannequin then goes to the back of the line and roles rotate. I gave the fastest team 3 points, the second fastest 2 points, and the third fastest 1 point.

Some rules:
- The "mannequin" must be fully dressed before their team calls out the sentence! This meanst that scarves have to be wrapped around necks, arms have to be through the sleeves of jackets, and mittens have to be on hands.
- Make sure your students know they are not to open the umbrellas, just hold them as if they were open!