Read 3041 times

• aisy
  • Adventurer

• March 27, 2012, 05:08:33 am
    • New York, USA
Recruiter told me to give up hope, can i still get a job?
« on: August 01, 2012, 02:22:35 pm »
I applied to Epik, and my recruiter basically told me to give up hope because im not willing to give my pet cat up :/
im planning to start the whole paperwork process over again (with expedited services)so that i can hopefully still get a job even if it is not in august.

my real question is, how likely will it be that someone will hire me? I am a recent female college grad  planning to bring an indoor cat who would like to work in an urban setting. is that feasible, or should i drop it all together? Also, i majored in english literature so i dont need to get tesol certified.
thanks for any advice!

• Jaunter
  • Super Waygook

• April 02, 2012, 11:57:17 am
    • Goyang, Korea
    more
Re: Recruiter told me to give up hope, can i still get a job?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 02:28:58 pm »
Protip: don't tell them you have a cat.

Or

Try another recruiter who is willing to go that extra mile for you. Worknplay (http://www.worknplayconsulting.com/) have been really good to me, though I don't have pets, and GEPIK seems to be more flexible than EPIK.
_ゝ`) ...

• shhowse
  • Featured Contributor

• August 25, 2009, 08:49:24 am
    • Mokpo
    more
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 02:31:22 pm »
I can't see any way that having a pet would hinder your chances of coming to work here. It has absolutely nothing to do with the hiring process and IMO, your recruitor and employer don't need to know you have a pet. HOWEVER, as a responsible pet owner, one would look into travel arrangements ahead of time for bringing a pet over and check into your future accommodation situation, to see if they allow pets in the building. That said, tons of people have pets here with or without the permission of their landlords.

Good luck in the job hunt! (Perhaps consider finding a new recruiter?)

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 02:58:33 pm »
The issue is mainly to do with accomodation.

Some landlords allow pets, others don't.  The school does not want to deal with the hassle of making sure you get an apartment that allows pets.  It's another step that they have to take.  I must differ with Shhowse here; it may be impossible to check into the situation at the future buiding for 2 reasons.  First, you would have to ask the school (and thus tell them you have a pet).  The second issue is that many schools do not find housing for the NET until right before the NET arrives; sometimes they find it AFTER the NET arrives.  I lived in a hotel for 10 days while my school searched for my apartment (I was coming from within Korea as I had worked at a hagwon before that).  So no one may even know.

Another issue, one that's been discussed here, is that you may have to attend orientation immediately after you land in Korea.  I don't know the details of this as I'm not with EPIK.  However, you definitely cannot take a pet with you to orientation.

Here's another thread about this issue http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,33524.0.html

It would be more likely that you can find a hagwon that will take you, but that comes with it's own risks, of course.

orientation
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 03:15:42 pm »
Here is the thing.  Imagine you are a recruiter and you have two people, both are ready. One is has the usuall problems but can be dealt with quickly.  You have another, who has a pet.   To deal with the pet means dealing with schools and apartments, plane tickets, shots, etc.  This means lots of phone calls and hand holding.  Yet, he the recruiter just got another 10 applications from people who are also looking for jobs.  Should he spend the time dealing with you to get maybe 1000 dollars or deal with the one and the 10 others and more each day who are going to be easier.

OP, it is possible to come to Korea with a cat.  Still my advice for newbies is your first year is DO NOT GET A PET.  Do not bring your pet over if you can.  Until you are settled and now the lay of the land a pet will not help much.

You do have you plus points, English Related Degree, woman, young....  But the cat is outshining your good points.  Pllus EPIK is in big demand

Still Good Luck.

Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

• shhowse
  • Featured Contributor

• August 25, 2009, 08:49:24 am
    • Mokpo
    more
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 03:17:07 pm »
Good points, justanotherwaygook.

I guess it would depend on where you are going and whether you can get contact information for the people who are at the school now. Down here where I teach, we all exchange contact info with the incoming teachers to answer their questions before they arrive and help them get things sorted, so it is easy to find out the apartment status that way. Coming into a newly created position for a school and therefore new apartment, that is a different story.

I also didin't consider orientation but again, in my region we have a facebook page for people willing to pet-sit, so judt doing some research could help you find solutions. Here is the blog of a couple who came to teach with their dog and two cats: http://jeollanamdosalad.wordpress.com/2011/05/31/the-realities-of-bringing-3-pets-to-korea/

I stick to my original answer, in that I don't think it is IMPOSSIBLE to come here with an animal, I just think you need to be willing to put int he time to make all the proper arrangements first.

• fwilsie
  • Veteran

• November 03, 2011, 03:34:20 pm
    • 창녕
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 12:37:54 pm »
You could find a recruiter who deals with individual public schools rather than just applying to EPIK in general. I did that for both of the public schools I've worked at. This way you can talk with the school directly and find out about your accommodations, as that's the only legitimate reason why having a pet would be a problem with your job.

• Tiamat
  • Adventurer

• March 15, 2012, 08:29:50 am
    • chungnam, Korea
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 02:57:53 pm »
I have a dog and had no problems at all. Try http://www.koreanhorizons.com/  The recruiter's name is Alistair and he's been awesome all 3 times that I made use of his services :)

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 03:54:59 pm »
Chungcheongnam-do a pretty easy place to land a job as well.

• tbaren
  • Adventurer

• April 29, 2012, 08:21:52 pm
    • Bucheon
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 12:41:45 pm »
Word of advice: Don't listen to recruiters. If they tell you to give up hope, that just means they aren't willing to work with you and you should find a different one.

The same recruiter someone recommended told me I would NEVER be able to find a public school job in April since I was leaving my contract early.

The next recruiter I tried found me a great job in two days. The other recruiter just didn't want to deal with my special circumstances, so I found a less lazy one.

And, I have a cat. The landlord just doesn't know, and my school told me to keep it secret. :)

• sheila
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• November 23, 2009, 08:32:58 am
    • Gangnamgu, Seoul
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 01:39:45 pm »
I agree that you should get a different recruiter. This should not be a problem at all. Also, tell them to send back all of your paperwork. They can't use it anyways since they are unwilling to get you a job. When you tell them to send it back or send it to a different recruiter in Korea, all of a sudden many jobs open up. Your cat should be no problem when you come here.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
www.freerice.com

• aisy
  • Adventurer

• March 27, 2012, 05:08:33 am
    • New York, USA
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 02:17:41 am »
Thans guys. Unfortunatly I applied to epik so I can't get my paperwork back. My recruiter told me when I asked for updates that my application has been withdrawn because I have a cat. I'm not sure if that means he withdrew my application which would make me very upset, or that epik withdrew my application. Either way, I'm aiming to get a job in October. Wish me luck!

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 09:10:46 am »
I applied through EPIK and was 'advised' to leave off that I had a cat. I asked in the interview if it was a dealbreaker and the woman said yes.

However, I was later told that I could change my application that I didn't have a pet and just keep it a secret. My school still doesn't know I have a cat from the US and it has been 2 years. I live in an officetel, and the landlord has no idea either. He has visited twice and I have always taken my cat to boarding when I knew he was coming. It's really up to you how far you are willing to go for your pet. BTW, my cat hated Seoul.

Also, my apt wasn't ready when I got here. Luckily, the Chungwha Animal Hospital boarded my dear cat for nearly 3 weeks and it didn't break the bank! I had corresponded with them before coming. I flew in a day or two before orientation to take him to the vet, and then got to orientation on my own.

I really think if you do all the leg work yourself, and you can keep a quiet mouth about it at work, then it isn't the biggest deal. But, it is added stress on yourself and cat.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 09:14:25 am by teacherjenni »