Read 30559 times

• tumnamen
  • Adventurer

• April 30, 2012, 07:22:47 am
    • incheon
Re: The Hunger Games Camp
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 11:44:48 am »
OP, do you have the ppt that you used for your first Aid lesson, before the running dictation game?  Thanks for sharing your ideas and what you did for your hunger games camp.

I'm half-way through my second session and so far im pleased with the results.  When I'm at a computer that doesn't suck I'll share the lessons I did.

• tumnamen
  • Adventurer

• April 30, 2012, 07:22:47 am
    • incheon
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 10:23:38 pm »
Here is a copy of the materials i made for my Hunger Games lesson.

Class summary: 6-14 1st year middle school girls.  Intermediate to advanced English levels.
Time: 7 days 4 Hours per day scheduled (lesson time 3 hours)

Day 1: Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor.
Introduction to the hunger games. 
And may the odds be ever in your favor activity. (simple probability)
the reaping, each student is put into a different district.
Industry project.  Each student must research the industry of their district and create the logo for their district.
Introduce District 12 and characters from district 12

Each student was given a poster paper and told to divide it into 5 parts one as a circle in the middle (see handout packet).  Each day they do a project and fill in one section of the poster.  Except day 1 they do the logo in the middle and then a second section.

Day 2: Opening Ceremonies
Discussion of Opening Ceremonies and costumes
Design the costume for the tribute parade (15 minutes) section 2 of poster
Recreate the costume on a paper doll using crazy materials from daiso (30 minutes)
Fashion show

Day 3: Training and Interviews
Theseus and the Minotaur running dictation activity
Interview lesson
Interview activity
Training, physical and survival skills
Draw a helpful survival or fighting skill (section 3 of poster) some of my girls were really creative and turned made it reflect on their districts industry
Lesson on the capitol

Day 4: Entering the Arena
The layout of the arena and cornucopia
Allies and Careers
Mutt lesson
Create a mutt: the students were given to random animals and had to create a mutt with a special skill.  they then had to draw the mutt in the last section of their poster.

Day 5: Mentoring Activities
I paired the students up and they had to do a series of activities.  one girl was the tribute and blindfolded.  the other was the mentor and had to guide the tribute through the activity. first the tribute had to draw a picture.  the mentor could only use circle and heart as shapes.  everything else could only be said using lines.
activity 2 the mentor must guide the tribute through a maze.  I taped the answers to up for the mentors.  (only use beginner/easy mazes maybe a moderate).
Activity 3 recreate the pose in the picture.  you can only use the body parts.  Example: photo of the thinker the student can't say "THINKER"  but "sit down" "put left hand..."

Also: Reality TV lesson if you need it (i did not get to try that one out)

Day 6: Hunger Games Movie Day
Watch the movie (The girls got really invested in the movie)

Day 7: Game day (attempting for the first time tomorrow)
Hunger games mystery box game, create your own hunger games board game

There is a powerpoint and a cloze note handout for each day except Days 5-7

• marbar
  • Waygookin

• March 02, 2012, 09:25:02 am
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 09:31:24 am »
Whoa! Didn't expect this thread to become so popular. I'm well impressed (and somewhat jealous) at all the fantastic ideas and powerpoints. Wish I was that creative with Powerpoint!

For those asking I do indeed have the Survival game and here it is. It's  a modified version of a desert island game I found on Waygook. Unfortunately I cannot find that game anymore to give props to the creator.

As for the first aid powerpoint, Tumnamen, I cannot find it right now. I'll have a look through my files and if I can find it I'll post it!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:33:31 am by marbar »

• skountz
  • Adventurer

• August 28, 2012, 08:50:43 am
    • Gwangju
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 01:52:05 pm »
For people who might want to just show the movie in class (and not do a camp) I posted some video questions and the subtitle files for the movie here:

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,51703.0.html

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 10:20:01 am »
This seems great. I'd really like to try it out at my school. I wonder if it could be adapted to an elementary crowd effectively.

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 02:03:21 pm »
Does anyone have a copy of the Hunger Games Golden Bell they did? I like to see some of the questions that other people have made. Thanks!!

• jessierose215
  • Waygookin

• August 23, 2013, 10:01:04 am
    • Mokpo, Jeollanamdo, South Korea
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 11:54:50 am »
I did this camp and it was great! Thanks for everyone who worked on this. I took other's work and made it into a two week camp where each lesson was 90 min. I taught 1st and 2nd grade co-ed middle schoolers with back to back lessons in the morning. So 1st graders for 90 min then 2nd for 90 min. I modified all the worksheets so that at the end of camp they can glue the pages together and make a take home book from camp. Some of the worksheets seemed a little difficult for my 1st garders but with some help they got through them.

I hope someone can use this.

• jessierose215
  • Waygookin

• August 23, 2013, 10:01:04 am
    • Mokpo, Jeollanamdo, South Korea
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2016, 12:01:18 pm »
Also, my CT made me write a lesson plan for each day, so those shouldn't go to waste. The only major change I made was from Day 4, we didn't get to the reality shows (mentoring took the whole time) so I moved that to Day 6. Also the video files that I used.

• Adyaan
  • Newgookin

• May 14, 2018, 07:13:24 pm
    • Nohwa, South Korea
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2019, 01:43:11 pm »
I did this camp and it was great! Thanks for everyone who worked on this. I took other's work and made it into a two week camp where each lesson was 90 min. I taught 1st and 2nd grade co-ed middle schoolers with back to back lessons in the morning. So 1st graders for 90 min then 2nd for 90 min. I modified all the worksheets so that at the end of camp they can glue the pages together and make a take home book from camp. Some of the worksheets seemed a little difficult for my 1st garders but with some help they got through them.

I hope someone can use this.

Thank you for your great work. I couldn't help noticing that Day 9 PPT is missing, was that because you only did the work sheet/movie for that day or was there no PPT for that day?