Read 23075 times

• marbar
  • Waygookin

• March 02, 2012, 09:25:02 am
The Hunger Games Camp
« on: July 31, 2012, 01:24:37 pm »
This is my first camp. It's for middle school. I have 5 days of camps, with two lesson plans per day and I teach two different groups these lesson plans. I love the Hunger Games books and movie and thought it would be a bit of a different approach to camp. When I started I didn't realise how unpopular it was over here. But seeing as I did mostly everything from scratch I was going to do this camp come hell or high water! So far my students have been quite receptive to the lessons. I have encouraged them to read the book, and a couple of them have.
I teach all girls, and they're all obsessed with Twilight ??? so I though I'd open up their world to better literature! ;)
I'm only halfway through camp at the moment so we'll see how it goes!

Day 1:
Introduction of the Hunger Games and 'The Reaping'
      I showed them the Powerpoint and I had a glass bowl with different district numbers (I chose Districts 1,4,11 and 12 because they are the ones most familiar to me from the books). Each student chose a slip of paper with a district no and this was then their group for the week.
      I explained the importance of industry to their respective districts and then had them design a logo for their district.

Day 2:
Inspiration/ Quiz
       I told them the story of Theseus and the Minotaur and how the HG story modernised this legend. I then gave them the victor worksheets and we discussed personality traits.

HG survival game
      I adapted this from a 'desert Island' lesson I found on waygook (all credit goes to the original creator- I can't find the original location for this game!). I kept them in their districts for this, but it also works well with individuals.

Day 3:
Sing-a-long:
I do the gap-fill for 'Safe and Sound' by Taylor Swift with them.

Opening Ceremony Costumes
     I explain the importance of fashion to the story and they must design an opening ceremony costume to represent their district.

Day 4:
First Aid Running Dictation
I show them the First Aid PPT and then we play a running dictation game. This involves each student in the group at various times using their productive and receptive skills. I did it during term and the students loved it.

Nature
I show them the Nature PPT and then we make 'Dirt'. I haven't done this yet, but I do have a feeling it may end in a complete and utter mess!

Day 5:

Scavenger Hunt

Golden Bell Hunger Games.
This is essentially the Hunger Games in quiz form. Each student answers on their whiteboards, if they answer incorrectly, they "die" and are out of the game. The last person standing is the "Victor" and I give them a crown. And I give sweets to everyone else for participating.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 01:50:01 pm by marbar »

• tumnamen
  • Adventurer

• April 30, 2012, 07:22:47 am
    • incheon
Re: The Hunger Games Camp
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 11:44:31 am »
Wow, this looks amazing!  Let me know how the rest of your camp goes, I am very interested in doing this either for an After school unit or my winter camp.  What level are you doing this with?  I have ML girls

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 12:46:30 pm »
This lesson plan for summer or winter camp looks fantastic! My middle school students are low level, but I think this topic might stir up some conversationin my high school classes this coming semester. How did these lessons work in with your classes? Were they able to grasp your explanation of industry, fashion, botany, etc. ? I'd love to get your feedback before trying this out!

• marbar
  • Waygookin

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 09:45:09 am »
It went surprisingly well. I had 1st grade and 2nd grade middle school girls. A few of them read the books and watched the movie due to the camp and they really enjoyed the story (which I was delighted with!). Overall, they grasped the concept pretty well for kids who had no idea about the franchise. They loved the arty bits. The "cooking" part was a bit of a disaster but that was more through my fault than the students. Just make sure you have everything prepped beforehand!

I had the idea as well to download the movie and put together the most important scenes to really hook them into the story. However, I am technologically challenged, so that idea remained but a dream. If you're more tech-savvy than I am (which wouldn't be hard) then maybe you could do that and show it at the very beginning and get the students to guess what the story is about, as a warm-up?

• tumnamen
  • Adventurer

• incheon
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 09:40:20 am »
Thanks for the update.  1st and 2nd grade MS is perfect for me.  I'm really looking forward to trying this for my winter camp (in six months) hahahahaha.  My last camp was 9 days 2 hours per session.  So if you have any ideas you didn't get to try or think of any more, please let me know, and I will do the same.

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 09:24:37 am »
This is amazing! I actually got highly obsessed with The Hunger Games last year. For summer camp, I taught 1st and 2nd grade girls, and I hope I get the same girls (maybe even more) again. I had to teach 8 days for 2 hours each, so I am sure that since THG came out on DVD, I might be able to download it with substitles and they can watch it for one of the days.

For other things:

You can also do the interview with all the tributes like Caesar Flickerman did before the game begin. Prepare questions, help students with their answers and then perform the interview with each tribute. (it also depends on English level)

• tumnamen
  • Adventurer

• incheon
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 01:15:51 pm »
This is amazing! I actually got highly obsessed with The Hunger Games last year. For summer camp, I taught 1st and 2nd grade girls, and I hope I get the same girls (maybe even more) again. I had to teach 8 days for 2 hours each, so I am sure that since THG came out on DVD, I might be able to download it with substitles and they can watch it for one of the days.

For other things:

You can also do the interview with all the tributes like Caesar Flickerman did before the game begin. Prepare questions, help students with their answers and then perform the interview with each tribute. (it also depends on English level)

Great idea with the interviews!!!!  Why didn't I think of that?  But i definitely plan on showing the movie for part of my next camp.  I'm in love with that movie!

• kwartas
  • Veteran

• October 05, 2010, 11:38:34 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 02:48:03 pm »
hey,
anyone have proper subtitles for the movie?
Would be much appreciated!
Cheers

• tumnamen
  • Adventurer

• incheon
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 09:38:41 am »
hey,
anyone have proper subtitles for the movie?
Would be much appreciated!
Cheers

I get all of my subtitles from cineast.co.kr.  The whole site is in korean so i suggest using the google chrome browser to auto translate.  or you can see if your school will by the dvd.  Im thinking of doing that while the movie is still available

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 03:21:12 pm »
This is a really good idea I want to use for my high school girls winter camp! Thanks for posting it. I was thinking I might split the film over two days too.

Were teachers ok with their being violence in it?

• marbar
  • Waygookin

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 01:44:11 pm »
When I did this for camp, the movie wasn't available to me, so I don't know what their reaction to it might have been. However I've seen the movie, and the violence isn't overwhelming. I think it's a 12A cert, so it should be suitable for your high schoolers!

Use your discretion. If you think your co-teacher will have an issue with you showing, it-don't do it. Luckily, my co-teacher hadn't a clue what it was about so she let me get on with it.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 01:52:02 pm by marbar »

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 03:18:23 pm »
I don't see a link to your modified survival game. Do you have it on hand.

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 11:36:25 am »
This might be a little late for some but here's an introduction PPT and a worksheet to go with it plus a template for creating their logo.

Edit: It appears as though when the distric logo got saved it was scaled down or something. I couldn't find the file on my computer and when I went to print it off waygook it is suddenlly much smaller :(
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:35:36 am by lauren elizabeth »

• FalseFace
  • Super Waygook

• November 04, 2012, 05:25:02 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 08:52:03 am »
Hey, I did day 1 of this camp, though my first hour was spent talking about New Year's and Resolutions.  We've so far gone over the premise of the movie and the students did their logos. 

I'm gonna go over the history today as well as make comparisons to other Greek stories in modern movies.  I'll upload it when I'm finished. 

Anyway, could someone link me to the "Desert Island" activity though?

EDIT: I may have found it - http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,13665.0.html
Tell me if I'm right or not, please!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 09:15:08 am by FalseFace »
"We're entrusted with the same tomorrow..."
-- El-P

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 10:36:39 am »
I'm starting this today so fingers crossed. What did you do for the Golden bell? Did you ask HG related questions or just general language trivia?

Unfortunately I have to teach two classes split over the week (Mon/Wed,Tues/Thurs), also some of my students want to do every day so I have to do different activities with different groups which may dilute the flow a bit!

Still very excited though so thanks again for the inspiration.

I created a simple factsheet as well which I'll give them today. I thought the students could have a think about their districts skills and learn more about them to prepare for later tasks. Not sure if its at all useful but here you go.

• NinaM
  • Waygookin

• November 23, 2011, 10:49:53 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 02:14:56 pm »
I am also doing a Hunger Games Camp but am doing things a bit differently. My camp is 4 days, 3 hours per day.  I have all boys MS so they like being active.. we also have a pretty big budget which made the cooking day possible.

We're planning on watching the movie so that they get the feel of what the Hunger Games is all about, but I broke it down so that they watch a small part of it and then do an activity that relates to that.

One more thing, my idea behind this camp is that it IS the hunger games, and the kids are in it. There will be a camp group winner who will get a set of the HG books.  For this, they will all get a certain number of "Health Points" (HP) in the beginning.  Throughout the camp, if they "lose" an activity they will also "lose" health points.  Also, if they're being annoying or bad they'll lose HP too.  If they win a game or do well on an activity, they'll gain XP (experience points).  They can trade in 2 XP for 1 HP.  Students will continue to lose HP throughout the camp and when they are down to 0, they are "dead" but can obviously still help their teammates.  I was planning on doing 2 students per district (like in the book) but now I'm going to do groups of 4 instead, and the prize is a group prize.. I'm doing this because there are some low-level students in my camp and I want them to still have a chance to win (and they'll have no chance against the more advanced students if it's an individual competition).

Day 1:
10 mins: Introduction to Hunger Games and Camp
20 mins: Watch first 20 mins. of movie (shows katniss hunting with her bow and arrow, and the reaping)
15 mins: The reaping (students are "reaped" into their groups)

10 min. break

7 mins: Discuss industry and logos
10 mins. Play Logo Game in Groups (students are given a page of famous logos and have to write what they are in 10 mins.)
28 mins.: Districts design their own logos (using the template above that someone else posted)

10 min. break

25 mins.: Bow and Arrow Game (we bought a toy bow and arrow for the camp so they have to answer english questions and shoot the suction cup arrows at the white board, which is labeled with different XP values)
17 mins: Watch Hunger Games until 37:00 (shows katniss and peeta going to the capitol and then wearing their new fire costumes at the parade)
Tell sts that tomorrow they'll be designing a costume and they can bring in things they'd like to use

Day 2:
5 mins: Discuss costumes and review previous day
40 mins: Students design their own debut "costumes" using cheap cloth, wrapping paper, ribbons, face paint, anything you can find like that. Then they describe their costumes to the class in English.

10 min. break

6 mins: Watch Hunger Games until 43: 15 (shows the tributes doing training)
39 mins: Students do "training"- arm wrestling contests, push-ups, jumping contest, etc.  Here they can "bet" their HP and go head-to-head against another student who bet the same as them.  For example, in arm wrestling, 2 students can decide to face each other and bet a certain number of HP. The winner takes the HP. Same with jumping contests and push-ups.  Students go head-to-head and matched up based on how much they want to bet.  I know this doesn't use too much English but my boys will really like it so whatever.

10 min. break

7 mins: Watch Hunger Games until 50:00 (each tribute needs to show the judges what they're good at; katniss shoots a the arrow through the apple)
15-20 mins.: Discuss "special/silly" talents (like being double jointed, folding your tounge into a clover, whistling well, etc.). Sts share talents with the class to get XP
11 mins: Watch until 1:01 (cesar flickman's interview)
10 mins: Each student writes an "interview question." Better questions = More XP

Day 3:
15-20 mins.: Sts answer interview questions made by each other the previous day (they draw a question from a bag and answer it in front of the class)
14 mins: Watch until 1:15.46 (katniss is IN the hunger games, searching for food)
5 mins: Explain scavenger hunt

10 min. break

10 mins: Students do scavenger hunt around the english zone for ingredients (as if they're foraging for food)
10 mins: Teacher Explains how to make tacos/what tacos are/ etc.

The rest of the time, students make tacos in the cooking room.

Day 4:

1 hour: finish the movie
45 mins: Do Golden Bell to decide HG winner (they lose HP when they get a question wrong)
45 mins: Wrap up and awards ceremony. Winning group wins Hunger Games books and Mockingjay necklaces.

Also I had a weird version of the HG which is what i used to figure out the times. My CT is downloading a better version so just check on whatever version you have to make sure the stoppage times are correct.

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 11:33:38 am »
Wow I wish my camp was 3 hours (am I actually saying that), I only have 2 50 min classes each week with each class. My HS girls are very visual so during first class I showed the trailer, then went through a shortened PPT, then showed it to them again to make sure the understood the premise of the film. I've attached the trailer as film as watching on Youtube is a game of russian roulette.

• sbeau
  • Waygookin

• March 02, 2012, 08:59:23 am
    • Busan
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 08:58:01 am »
My school requires a somewhat more academic approach to camp, so here's a workbook I made to go along with the Hunger Games movie. I also adapted some Powerpoints that others have posted to use along with my worksheets. The powerpoints aren't great because I didn't have time to do them nicely, but they'll do.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 09:08:03 am by sbeau »

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 12:41:16 pm »
Here's a preposition game I put together based around the idea of racing to the Cornucopia. I start by introducing some prepositions, which I've printed out on cards and attached to the white board. Then we then go through some sentences and students have to race to the board and grab the correct preposition. The team to get to it first wins a point.

I put a lag on the pictures so that students might  be encouraged to read the sentence first.

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 09:41:51 am »
Hey another upload. Today and tomorrow I'm going to do the survival class. I also adapted this worksheet from one I found on here so thanks Szeretlek23 for the original post.

If anyone wants to use it here it is and a short PPT to accompany it. I'm going to do a lot of board work and also sit with individual teams to help them.

Sorry if there are any mistakes as just knocked it up quickly this morning.