Read 15495 times

• sassneggs
  • Adventurer

• December 30, 2010, 04:11:30 pm
    • Icheon, South Korea
The Moving & Storage Thread
« on: January 12, 2011, 12:24:54 pm »
Hello.  I am trying to find some options for getting a bed and a wardrobe shipped across Seoul.
Do any of you have any experience with any companies?  I don't really need an entire truck.  Just a little room in the truck.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.  Thank you for any replies.

• Korea101
  • Adventurer

• September 10, 2010, 09:59:36 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Moving companies!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 10:15:05 am »
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone knows of any good moving/shipping/delivery companies in Korea that will move between cities and isn't too expensive?

Thanks,
Amy  :)

Re: Moving Apartments and school
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 08:42:20 am »
http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/korea-info/index.pl?page=2;read=175

i found this on google about hiring a moving company

might be of interest, but it still won't help you find one

• Ectofuego
  • Featured Contributor

• November 02, 2010, 09:21:10 am
    • Mars
Re: Moving Apartments and school
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 08:49:35 am »
moving companies in korea are aweseome!  The best way to explain it was from the president of a school i used to work for.  He said Imagine you had breakfast that day, you left a bowl of food on the counter and dirty dishes.  The moving company will wrap everything up and will put it in the exact place you left it but in the new apartment; breakfast and all.

I used them and spend about 200,000 won for the service for 2 bedrooms, tv, computer, couch and all.  They moved be about 2 hours away for that price.
I'm Jason and I approve this message!

• bmym80
  • Veteran

• September 14, 2010, 01:30:13 pm
    • seoul
Re: Moving and storage companies
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 03:01:34 pm »
I have used a moving company before. You can have them drive their truck. If you want them to carry the stuff too, it costs a little bit more. I moved to a new city and think it costs about 50,000. I had my Korean wife find them. She says they are a dime a dozen. But as far as storage goes, I don't know.

• Umgyoon
  • Explorer

• February 24, 2011, 10:17:46 am
    • Ilsan
Re: Moving and storage companies
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 03:12:13 pm »
Try Allied Pickford (Google it) and they have an English speaking service. Not cheap tho but I left Korea for an entire year and they took my stuff, stored it and got it back to me safely for around 1M won. Not cheap but I had a lot of furniture and it was nice to come back to it and not start over again.

• DNogitsune
  • Adventurer

• October 18, 2010, 09:04:05 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Moving in Korea: How do you do it
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 08:24:06 am »
I have done this recently.  I moved from Osan to Anseong.  My recruiter hired a moving van for me to move my stuff.  I didn't have much either but the van had a good ammount of space.  It was one of those little blue ones that fit 6 60cm x 60 cm boxes.  At least those are the measurements she told me.  I had a very large suitcase, a smaller scrapbook suitcase, a backpack, large dryer rack and another box and I had plenty of room to spare.

- DN

• QTEE
  • Adventurer

• September 06, 2010, 12:07:01 pm
    • yongin
storage and moving companies
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 08:27:07 am »
As my school is not renewing my contract I have to pack up and find somewhere to
store my goods
does anyone know of a good reputable firm that will do this
It wont be for long as I am going home on vacation for 2 weeks and hopefully by then
I will know for sure where I am going if not well its bye bye Korea and a good shipping company will need to
be found :(
Any suggestions please Thanks in advance

Re: storage and moving companies
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 08:54:25 pm »
I used Extra Space Self Storage in Yangjae Seoul in April this year.
http://www.extraspacekorea.com/en/.

Speak to Andrew/ Eric.

I had no problems with extending my contract period, getting my deposit back and even received discounts for my first contract.  The guys who work there were professional and organised and friendly. They also put me in contact with a Moving company to get my things to and from Yangjae.  The moving company's owner speaks English and will stay in contact with you and the driver/packer designated to help you move as this employee will most likely not speak fluent English.

Moving was a pretty painless, organised affair with these guys!

^^ You should have your own lock for your storage space or you could always purchase one at their offices.

• brandon85
  • Waygookin

• November 11, 2010, 08:45:54 am
    • Seoul
Best moving company, hands down!
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 02:42:21 pm »
My friend used this moving company and they did an awesome job, that I thought, I'd pass on their info (since it's hard to find a decent one in this city). According to the manager, they move people within Seoul, outside in other parts of the country, as well as send all your stuff back to your country of origin. They only charged 250,000 to move 29 boxes from Seoul to Yeosu. The manager speaks English fairly well, here's his email: dannyjung719@gmail.com. and also his number: 82-10-4693-3993. Just passing on the info and doing my good deed for the day!

• The.it.girl
  • Veteran

• November 11, 2010, 07:15:27 pm
    • Chungnam, Korea
Re: Best moving company, hands down!
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 12:01:57 pm »
Thanks for sharing this info with us~ Could you explain what you mean by them sending our stuff back to our home countries.. How is this done? Also do they come in and pack themselves.. Ive used one in the past which packed and unpacked but they were a bit pricey, worth every cent though!!

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 07:14:11 pm »
There are basically two kinds of moving services: international movers and domestic Korean movers.  The international movers, or rather freight shippers/forwarders are the people who pick up your boxed belongings and ship it to where you are going outside of Korea, often to a NETs home or next job.  The domestic movers in Korea will for a fee come to your home and pack  your belongings for you, put it onto the truck and then drive it to your next apartment where they unload and unpack your belongings for you.  And of course, you do not have to have them pack/unpack and then put away your stuff unless you want to pay for it. 

We just moved to a new apartment a couple of months ago.  We paid a Korean moving company, whom we had used once before,  to pack our things and then move them to our next apartment.  If you do that, I suggest that you keep an eye on your movers.  We had a few problems with our last movers, who put things away in odd places and a few things turned up missing later on.  I have heard that some moving companies employees have sticky fingers, if you know what I mean.  If you do hire a Korean moving company to move you, you will probably have to provide lunch, a reasonable amount of beverages and snacks for them, but they usually work pretty fast.

If your move requires a moving lift you have to pay extra for that.  One of the movers will come before their moving truck comes and start calling the cellphone numbers of those people whose cars are parked in the spots where the movers need to place the moving lift and their moving truck.  I hope this is useful.  Have a good move. 

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 08:15:47 am »
I've moved three times using a moving company.  My wife and I have paid from 300,000 to 900,000 KRW (these numbers are a range and not a total amount) to move.  The cost formula runs something like this: how many boxes you have, whether or not you have packed up your own stuff in boxes, how much furniture you have, the distance to be traveled, whether or not the movers have to use a moving lift (if the lift has to go above a certain floor there is an additional charge), and then buying the movers lunch and snacks/beverages.

If you are planning to move a relatively short distance like 10 km, and you have more boxes than large furniture (bed, air conditioner/s, refrigerator, gimchi refrigerator, desks, bookcases, etc), then I suggest that you think of renting a flatbed truck big enough for your boxes along with its driver and his assistants and let them move you.  They may still bring their lift truck with them, but this kind of a move is quick and relatively easy.   

The real cost of  moving with a Korean moving company varies upon the above factors plus other possible ones, so you should call around and have a couple of movers come to look at what you are going to move and give you a quote.  Don't be sentimental about it.  Hiring a moving company to move you and then their moving you will a long work day for you especially if they pack for you and then unpack for you.  The last time we moved with a company which we had contracted with to move before, because the salesman who gave us a quote was on time and did not forget about the appointment, but our second move them left a lot less to desire, which i described above. 

Or, you can rent a truck and move your belongings yourself a la like how we usually do back home, but you really will have to do everything from loading/unloading, calling the owners of cars you wish to have moved so your truck can back in, etc. 

One final thought is that I do like hiring movers to move us because they will take out the large picture windows on the veranda when they use a lift truck.  They will also put the picture window back into place for you, too.  I always like that.  Those picture windows are heavy, tend to be bulky, expensive to replace if you break them and they can be difficult for inexperienced people to take out and put back in who are not familiar with how they work. 

Have a good move.  I hope this helped. 

does any know of any good storage/moving companies
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 08:45:07 am »
I need to store my stuff for my apartment for about three weeks somewhere. Does anyone know of any good storage and moving companies? I've seen some quotes for storage for 150,000. that seems like a lot for one month of storage.