Read 1996 times

• cloud6
  • Adventurer

• January 12, 2011, 08:26:55 am
    • Seoul, Korea
RE: Rate per hour for after-school programmes?
« on: January 12, 2011, 08:28:29 am »
Hi guys

Does anyone know what the going rate is for taking part in after-school programmes at a public high school in Seoul? I'm new at the school and have already been asked to do some extra programmes after school next semester but everyone is being vague about how much I will be paid. I have an English Masters degree and 3 years lecturing experience. I don't want my skills or time to be exploited.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Re: RE: Rate per hour for after-school programmes?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 08:40:49 am »
I am not sure if Seoul is different but think that W20,000 is the going rate.  Sometimes it states in your contract.

• jaime728
  • Waygookin

• November 15, 2010, 01:22:54 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 09:00:42 am »
I have the same qualifications and I am getting paid 30,000 a class which is 45 minutes. I make 600,000 Won after 20 classes.

• foreverJ
  • Featured Contributor

• October 05, 2010, 04:45:22 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 09:03:45 am »
20000 won per hour/class is the standard rate for additional classes over and above the standard 22 per week, but my understanding of the afterschool program is different.
I'm not in Seoul, nor do I teach highschool, but here's what I understand, regarding payment. It varies according students signed up and their attendance.
You get paid per X number of classes taught per month (it was 12 for me) if I didn't teach 12 in a month, I had to make up for it, usually by adding extra minutes to each class.
Each student pays X amount per month, of which you get a certain percentage.

At one stage I was down to just a handful of students, and the money I received worked out to less than 20000 per class. But when I had 20 students, it worked out to much more.

My co t explained it to me but it was too vague and brief.
The next semester, I told her that I would only teach the afterschool program if X number of student sign up, and attend regularly. Every semester there were a couple of kids who just stopped coming. When the secretary saw this on the attendance lists, she called the parents, and then cancelled the class.

I was not paid for afterschool classes on the 25th, like the rest of my salary, but at a later stage. They always paid. I asked whether it could be done another way, like if I could just receive the standard rate, but it was 'not possible.'

hope that sheds some light.

• MiaBritton
  • Adventurer

• July 18, 2010, 04:08:27 pm
    • Gumi, Gyeongsang
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 09:41:16 am »
20,000 if it's classed as 'overtime' on the school's program, or 30,000 if it's just classed as 'after school'. I teach afterschool classes and am on 30 an hour.

• kate.d
  • Veteran

• May 10, 2010, 07:57:50 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 09:50:08 am »
I teach 27 classes, they pay me 20,000 for the ones over 22, so usually 5 per week unless one gets canceled.  If they cancel an "extra" class I don't get paid, but if they cancel 5 normal classes and no "extra" classes I still get the overtime.  That is what it says in the EPIK contract-doesn't matter what your qualifications are-but of course every school can change whatever they want.   

• cloud6
  • Adventurer

• January 12, 2011, 08:26:55 am
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 11:02:29 am »
Guys

Thanks so much for your responses. They are extremely helpful. I love this site.

:)

• ToniV
  • Adventurer

• December 16, 2010, 08:13:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 11:37:05 am »
HI Cloud6,

you never know how much they are going to pay you per hour, but you should make sure it's per hour and not per student that attends like the other person that replied. I think with my afterschool, it was per hour, they didn't care if the students attended or not. But, I had to do 10 classes before I was paid... If school was cancelled on that particular day and I wasn't able to hold my afterschool class, then I had to reschedule it with the students myself to make sure I had my 10 classes.
Smile. Pass it on.