Read 4562 times

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
Foreign Cell Phones using Korean networks??
« on: January 11, 2011, 06:21:22 pm »
I read on Dave's ESL that a new law has been passed that now allows foreign cell phones to be used on Korean networks.  The writer gave a link to a Korean Newspaper but it is in Korean so I cannot understand it. 

Has anyone heard about this? From the article, it appears there is some paper work involved and then off you go.

Please note, this is not about roaming, but using your foreign phone on a Korean network like you would your Korean phone.

I would love to know if this is true and how to go about doing it if it is.  I would love to use my Nokia smartphone here instead of my terrible LG clam phone.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Re: Foreign Cell Phones using Korean networks??
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 06:40:41 pm »
rlong,

I'm actually in the process of doing that myself. I had been warned that it's a long and painful process but i decided to do it anyway bc i absolutely hate my current Korean phone and it hates me. Let ME be the one to warn you...

First, you have to send your phone away to Seoul (or drop it off if that's where you live) and get your phone certified. You should get a Korean to help you with this: http://www.kes.co.kr/.
Then you pay 305 000 won to get it certfied. (This should be reason enough to change your mind.)
When your phone's returned to you in about a week, you need to get a Korean SIM card (depending on what kind of phone you have) and register it w/ KT. You can't do this over the phone and KT staff will tell you the easiest way is to register online...unfortunat ely, the link for registering foreign phones won't work. If you call KT for help at this point, they'll tell you you need to get a Korean to register your phone for you under their name and then transfer the account to your name after a month. The only other option is to go to the KT in KyoDae in Seoul and register it in person. I'm still stuck on this process but after registration, you still have to visit a KT store to activate your phone on a plan. it's been a month and a half since I had my phone certified and...nothing...it took me even longer to figure all of this out bc I was told a hundred different things during the process and was thrown around from location to location and hotline to hotline. Good luck!

P.S. If you're wondering why I paid the money, it's bc i got my iphone for free and thought 300 000 was reasonable in my case...

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• February 01, 2010, 01:36:20 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 08:04:35 pm »
rlong,

I'm actually in the process of doing that myself. I had been warned that it's a long and painful process but i decided to do it anyway bc i absolutely hate my current Korean phone and it hates me. Let ME be the one to warn you...

First, you have to send your phone away to Seoul (or drop it off if that's where you live) and get your phone certified. You should get a Korean to help you with this: http://www.kes.co.kr/.
Then you pay 305 000 won to get it certfied. (This should be reason enough to change your mind.)
When your phone's returned to you in about a week, you need to get a Korean SIM card (depending on what kind of phone you have) and register it w/ KT. You can't do this over the phone and KT staff will tell you the easiest way is to register online...unfortunat ely, the link for registering foreign phones won't work. If you call KT for help at this point, they'll tell you you need to get a Korean to register your phone for you under their name and then transfer the account to your name after a month. The only other option is to go to the KT in KyoDae in Seoul and register it in person. I'm still stuck on this process but after registration, you still have to visit a KT store to activate your phone on a plan. it's been a month and a half since I had my phone certified and...nothing...it took me even longer to figure all of this out bc I was told a hundred different things during the process and was thrown around from location to location and hotline to hotline. Good luck!

P.S. If you're wondering why I paid the money, it's bc i got my iphone for free and thought 300 000 was reasonable in my case...

absolutely correct. i already mentioned here why it won't work without doing the process above.

the problem with doing such a process is that it will void the phone's warranty, that's if it has one.
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 08:54:06 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, but according to the post, this is a new process and doesn't involve what you told me now. I knew about what you have described, but apparently (according to this post), the fee is no longer payable and the whole process is done quickly and your phone is not sent away or anything like that.

I don't know how true it is but according to the post, it was announced yesterday (10 January).

Let's hope it is true and things can be simplified.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 04:29:31 am »
I also wonder if you have this done to your phone, will it still work on your home network when you go back home?  It would be terrible if you have this done and it renders your phone useless once you leave Korea.

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 08:39:03 am »
Could you link to the post where you found this information?

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 02:02:09 pm »
Here is the link, it has more info on it now but still not too much.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=198542

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 02:03:18 pm »
Here is the link for the announcement, but it is in Korean.

http://biz.heraldm.com/common/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20110111000452

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• February 01, 2010, 01:36:20 pm
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 02:31:32 pm »
I also wonder if you have this done to your phone, will it still work on your home network when you go back home?  It would be terrible if you have this done and it renders your phone useless once you leave Korea.

yes, it will work. friend's iphone worked backed in the states and canada no problem.
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html